PDA

View Full Version : I need you help and advice!!!

Robbothewhiz
19-02-2004, 09:02 PM
I have my eye on a 1999 grey import VR4. Approx 27K miles, what do I need to look for on a gey import? Will it cause problems getting it serviced? How do i check that it has traction control, as this model does not have the switches for Yaw and TC. How do i know if it is a type S or V? So many questions!!!! The gargae only sells imported cars and has been in business for about ten years. It also strikes me a good value, the asking price is £9K (4dr) plus six month warranty

My son (a sixteen year old expert, Knows more than me!!) says the wheels are not 17inch. Does this make it the lower spec? It has the auto box (the same as my V6 Auto 2002) the triptonic one. It has the extended wheel arches and window shields (my son says this is very Volvo ish). Inside it is bog standard, but with climate control.

It appears at first sight to be a very clean car.

So if any of you experts out there can help me I would greatly appreciate it

Nick Mann
19-02-2004, 09:21 PM
If you click 'Resources' at the top left, you will get a menu including 'Specs' and 'Buyers Guide'. These are pretty good at telling you what the car is and what to look for.

The extended wheel arches means it is a facelift car, so you will have 280 bhp as opposed to 260 for pre-facelift autos. 16" wheels are standard on all cars, and are one of the things to consider upgrading as 17" will allow a brembo upgrade on the front. I think I am correct in saying that 225 wide rubber as standard means a type S as type V's have narrower. I guess this is easily changeable, though, so only a guide.

Servicing problems are few, with the exception of cost!! As Mitsubishi imported a few themselves, the dealers are normally happy to service them.

I don't think any car has a switch for the AYC. I don't have traction, so therefore don't miss it, but I would also say that I don't think the car needs it. (Maybe the stick shifters would disagree?)

If you are near Nottingham sunday afternoon, drop in to Ikea, and we'll be happy to chat endlessly about it! Good luck with it assuming you go for it - come back and let us know how you get on!

calum
20-02-2004, 12:15 AM
No problems getting it serviced. Mitsubishi fully support grey imports.

Traction control switch is on the little panel down and to the right of the steering wheel. With 4WD you don't really need it, but it will probably be there.

There isn't a switch for the anti yaw control - you can't switch it off. When you switch the ignition on, the green bars on the dash will light up as a test.

As above, 16" wheels are std.

The auto box is a 5 speed tiptronic (may be the same as teh newer v6's).

extended wheel arches are std.

Wind deflectors are a thing that lots of japs fit. easy to remove.

Check teh box works well, check the car from a cold start, drive slowly, check full lock for cv noises, drive fast and check it's ok. press brakes without holding wheel and check it pulls up straight. The brakes are sh*t as std.

Check for no ticking noise from tappets.

Make sure you get the box thoroughly warm then drive up a slight incline feathering the throttle about 40mph in auto mode. If you feel a judder, then the box needs an expensive (2k) repair. Doesn't make much difference in everyday driving, but a good bargaining tool.

Calum

Spirit
20-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Hadn't noticed Barry had added the buyers guide here too :-D And there are 3 pics of my car with it.......thats a chufty badge to me then :-D :p