PDA

View Full Version : Another newb in Wales

SFC
07-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Hello all,

Greetings from sunny but cold mid-Wales /Wave

On the lookout for a VR4 to replace my 200sx, the 4WD should make more sense around here

Not really fussed about saloon/estate, manual/auto etc. so long as I get a good one.

The Mrs is giving it the "should we be buying a P reg car?" line, probably cos she's spotted the rust coming through round the arches on our Mazda Bongo ('96).

So how are VR4s for rust and rot and are tales of auto 'boxes regularly packing up at 100k exagerated?

Cheers,

SFC (= sensible family car, nowt to do with footie)

pitslayer
07-04-2008, 05:02 PM
in the three galants/legnums ive owned the only rust issues i have come across, is the a few spots on the front slam panel, where the bonnet latches, nothing serious and the rear arches.

Nick Mann
07-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Autoboxes are usually fine, provided that they are serviced properly. I would say regular failure is an exaggeration.

No need to buy a P reg, there is a 1999 leggy on here for under £4k, or an even newer model for £8k that has only done 30 odd thousand!

Rust is normally okay if they have been undersealed on arrival to the UK. The first places to go are usually the rear arches, closely followed by the leading edge of the bonnet/slam panel and then the bottom of the door skins. You'll have to judge each individual car seperately on that.

So, anyway, /Welcome and enjoy your stay!

elnevio
07-04-2008, 05:22 PM
/Welcome2

Mine is a fresh 96 import, which I had undersealed on arrival to the UK. This is probably the main advantage with a fresh import over a car that has already been in the UK a few years, as the fresh ones are rust-free. The longer they're over here, the more likely they are to start rusting - but if you keep on top of any early signs, then there should be no problems for many years.

Nick VR4
07-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi and Welcome to the forum :)

SFC
12-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome and tips folks, much appreciated. :-)

Budget is about £4k so I'm definitely looking at an older car but hopefully should still be able to pick up a tidy example.

Lillywotsername
12-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi and /Welcome

Ours will be up for sale very soon and will be in your price range.

It is a "P" reg but for its age its very low mileage at around 64k ( but 30k of that is in kms)

We will be putting photos up soon when for sale or you can have a quick look at it under Richy Rich's car.
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=31

richy rich
12-04-2008, 04:31 PM
/Welcome

As lilly has said ours will be up for sale soon.

As the others have said they are not bad cars for rust if they are looked after.
Mine has just started to go on the front of the bonnet I'm sorting that out at the moment that is 1 of the reasons its not up for sale at the mo.

The other reasons are
Rear bumper had slight damage almost sorted
Front brakes are going to be put back to standard.
Full fluid service to be done.
Then cleaned.

SFC
12-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Nice looking car you've got there, the shot of it on the lift is particularly encouraging.

Is it a type-s? How much is a rear light with integrated fog to replace the dangly?

Scuse the terrible newbness of these questions :)

richy rich
12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Yep its a type-s. The fog is not quite like that any more it it is pushed up out the way you have to look for it to find it.

Ill put a couple of pics up soon of what it looks like now.

Solardavid350
13-04-2008, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the club
I live in wales too and have a saloon VR4 for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESEX:IT&item=250235517802&_trksid=p3984.cSELL.m315.lVI

Some other photos etc here in members gallery.