PDA

View Full Version : Double Din Stereo Head Units - Advice - Opinions

KiwiTT
07-04-2008, 09:48 PM
My VR-4 has a two DIN space and it has a crappy stereo in the top slot and I thought it may look better with a two-din Car Audio System. Most have DVD and I am not interested in that.

I have narrowed my search to one of these. Alpine or JVC.
And with the preference for the JVC model as it seems to have more inputs, i.e. ipod, USB, etc. The convenience of copying mp3s to a memory stick and plugging it in to play is tempting. Otherwise I would have to burn them to CD.

(see images below)

Kenneth
07-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I think I would be inclined to go with the JVC.

That of course is swayed mainly by looks as I have no idea on what specs and features both have.

KiwiTT
07-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I like the touch of Red. errr VR-4esque

Nick Mann
07-04-2008, 10:19 PM
In the UK Alpine is a much more prestigious name than JVC. Having said that I have used a head unit by both manufacturers (although a few years ago now) and the JVC was IMO better in almost every way than the Alpine. It was cheaper, better specced, and sounded better. The Alpine felt better made.

I guess I would be swayed towards the JVC from that experience, but I think I'd see if I could compare them anywhere - sound is always more important to me than features.

KiwiTT
07-04-2008, 10:40 PM
JVC Specs (http://www.jvccaraudio.co.nz/?p=p_167)
Alpine Specs (http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=281)

$450 + installation charge. @ Driving Sound for the JVC one - reasonable price ?

KiwiTT
08-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Bought and Installed the JVC one.

Excellent sound and service.

I feel like spoiling myself at the moment ... some of you know why.

Subaru ETA
08-04-2008, 10:20 AM
yea i have heard that JVC is good but i have always gone for alpine - personal preference i guess.

o yea- the alpine ones you can change the button colours so you can make them red :p

Nick Mann
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Bought and Installed the JVC one.

Excellent sound and service.

I feel like spoiling myself at the moment ... some of you know why.

Hope you enjoy it, bud! :thumbsup:

pitslayer
08-04-2008, 03:11 PM
i would go with the JVC one if it was made by alpine, looks so much better than the alpine one. but not a fan of JVC myself

dickytim
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
All said, I would have gone with JVC if there was a price difference that way otherwise Alpine, but I am biased having a full Alpine system in my car.

The Alpine always has the little features that make you go, damn how did they think of that...

Nothing wrong with JVC head units from my experience.

KiwiTT
08-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks Richard.

The Alpine would have been another $300 and for what I got out of JVC. I am impressed.

All my stations are now named ... i.e. "The Rock", "More FM" etc.

Oh and sthe sound is great. Why did I put up with that "cheap radio/CD" for so long.

bradc
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
most importantly, why do you have more fm in the list? :P

Sounds like you've got a good buy, have fun with it. And in regards to your reasoning why, I guess you could argue it is only costing you half...so go and get a full set of speakers too :)

KiwiTT
08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
a full set of speakers too :) ?!?!?

I got four plus two tweeters. What more do I need ... a sub-woofer ? It has an output for that.

Nick Mann
08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
The factory speakers are not as good as they could be. Especially the rears. You will probably notice another big increase in sound by adding some after market speakers. Some 2-way Infinities will give good sound for not much money.

KiwiTT
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Hmmm ... I give that some thought. Just enjoying the transformation so far.

Nick Mann
08-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Fair enough! And next time you want to enjoy it all over again, you have a not-so-expensive option to upgrade to!

Enjoy - I love cranking my stereo up when it's just me in the car....

KiwiTT
08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah Nick ... even the crappy radio stations are sounding good now, with all the "stereo effects", that I was missing. i.e. sound from one set of speakers and then the other as a proper stereo should do.

Subaru ETA
09-04-2008, 07:22 AM
i have some 6x9's in the parcel shelf with a 300w amp. sound is great esp for the music i listen to (rock)

Kenneth
09-04-2008, 07:59 AM
i have some 6x9's in the parcel shelf with a 300w amp. sound is great esp for the music i listen to (rock)

My Galant came with factory sub and amp. /Nuuu

MarkSanne
09-04-2008, 08:14 AM
@KiwiTT: could you please post a few pics of it when it is installed, especially some close-ups? I have a 2DIN Pioneer AVIC-HD1BT unit in my G but the Pioneer little plastic cover/surrounding/bezel thingy doesn't fit and I am still thinking of creating my own surrounding-frame, but maybe JVC delivers one that is a good fit for the G.

Thanks!

KiwiTT
09-04-2008, 09:23 AM
They left that off as well on mine.

MarkSanne
09-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Ah... okay. back to creating my own then (two now as I have bought a Legnum which will arrige in a few weeks and bought a Pioneer 2DIN AVIC-HD3BT for it too). I think I'll make a molding so I can create more than the 2 I need.

KiwiTT
10-04-2008, 08:20 PM
sorry

Nick Mann
10-04-2008, 09:14 PM
That looks like it fits quite nicely! I assume it's still making you smile? :D

KiwiTT
10-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Yep ... It's just so nice to hear all the highs and the lows of music. Just like it should.

The little things like a fur-covered slot (that sounds rude doesn't it :D ) to protect the CDs going in is a good thought. Pressing the 1-6 buttons quickly selects the track number

Having the stations names come up when I select them is good too. Just need to find a good one (see post in NZ chat)

The centre panel can be changed to any colour you like. Got it blue at the moment, but had it red initially. When in demo mode the colours change continuously ... which is kinda cool.

It auto-mutes with the cellphone. ( A picture of me and my 1 year old niece for those that are curious)

Kenneth
10-04-2008, 10:23 PM
So next toy is a camera then? :pimp2:

KiwiTT
10-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Actually ... I got my 10 mp one ... just did not use it.

Next toy is to find some way to make my suspension damper setting electronically adjustable from within the cabin.

Kenneth
10-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Actually ... I got my 10 mp one ... just did not use it.

Next toy is to find some way to make my suspension damper setting electronically adjustable from within the cabin.

I am planning on making one when time and funds allow... Though I think the adjusters on yours may not be that easy to make one for, would have to take a look at it.

You could of course just buy a new set of Tein or Daymia (spelling) shocks etc with the electronic damper control. Just add ~$400 to the cost for cert.

KiwiTT
10-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Good idea Ken. My shocks are probably getting a bit old, but they still work.

As you can see, I am think about tweaking my car they I want it. (see other thread re adding AP Racing 6-pots (front) and 4 pots (rear). )

Kenneth
10-04-2008, 10:42 PM

As you can see, I am think about tweaking my car they I want it. (see other thread re adding AP Racing 6-pots (front) and 4 pots (rear). )

I replied to that one too, though probably best ho hijack your own thread rather than someone else's... :P

As I said, if you want to bounce ideas off someone and get some ideas back, I am happy to discuss it with you :)

william
11-04-2008, 01:24 AM

Sounds like certain previous restrictions on you have been removed, Richard!!

KiwiTT
11-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah ... I am meeting Ken on Sunday ... to discuss some of those restrictions.

william
11-04-2008, 03:15 AM
LOL, go for it! Make her mad.

KiwiTT
13-04-2008, 05:21 AM
Looks like I won't need to upgrade the rear speakers as I just looked today with Ken & Jo and it appears I have a pair of Sony 120W speakers. Which should be good enough.

miikka
18-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Maybe you could give me some hints of UK car audio shops? How high prices do you have there, compared to Germany for example? Here in Finland everything costs much and I'd like to buy some 2x DIN player too, but not from here.

Give me links :)

ianturbo
18-04-2008, 11:02 PM
How do you go about the "wombles" takin a fancy to it , can you remove a part of it when you park it up ?
ian

Beastlee
19-04-2008, 08:10 AM
There's a good place called MCS-Direct, site http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk looks dead to me though, and another http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk in the Radford area of Nottingham that I used a lot, excellent prices for the latest kit. They will normally beatadvertised prices if you can prove someone else has them cheaper.