PDA

View Full Version : ebay morons

pitslayer
17-04-2008, 04:58 PM
sold a car on ebay 2 weeks ago, been patient with the guy let him have more time to pick the car up.
so he sends me an email, saying "coming with a trailer this weekend does the car start?"
to which i replied
"no the car doesnt start, the fuel is 2 years old and the battery is dead, and i cant get any ignition lights up with jump leads"
he kept pestering about the getting the car started and even asked me to pay for a mechanic to come look at it.....on a car i sold for £180, and pay 40 quid an hour for someone to look at it.....i dont think so.....
so get another mail back, im coming this week have you got it started yet
no i havnt, im moving house, moving workshops, ive got one of our boys of work after slicing his finger and im out on jobs everyday this week, so i cant"

then get this back
"hi there as your a busy man and hav`nt got the time or money to get it running i`ll have to leave it sorry"

now the car was advertised as non runner, needs restoring and a bit of work just to even get it to pre mot standards......hence 180 quid for it. ive already done alot of work on the car, and spent alot of money on it......

but am i right in saying that when you win it is a legal binding contract, should i setup a dispute and seek the money?

Nutter_John
17-04-2008, 05:00 PM
yep but ebay is sh1t they are happy to take your money but not happy to help

goto the dispute console and log it there , you may get the fees back

pitslayer
17-04-2008, 05:03 PM
but i want it all.....i need it all actually :(

Lillywotsername
17-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I think it will come down to negative feedback being left and not a great deal else tbh....

I used to think it was a binding contract, but apparently not.

Johnny_Cashed
17-04-2008, 06:16 PM
should i setup a dispute and seek the money?

I would let it go, some people can be idiots, some don't even return the V5s!

Physician
17-04-2008, 06:31 PM
You haven't got a cat in hell's chance of getting anything from the 'buyer' so why waste your time. Ebay is an appalling auction Company who don't give a damn about buyers nor sellers. Even hardened journalists have been stumped when trying to get information about the Company.

Now that you know what 'THIS' buyer is like I would be all apologetic and email him that you're sorry and that you have now got it started and he can come and collect any time. When he arrives try and start the car and admit it's gone 'dead' again. Even if he won't take it - at least you've had a laugh at his expense.

Nice But
17-04-2008, 06:39 PM
^^^^^^ I like it....... thats evil :evil2: but great..

E bay is a great place to get shot of stuff but can be a nightmare, let it go and advertise it again. Still a cheap place to sell stuff.

shaun1978
17-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I've got a morris minor pickup to put on next week , hope i dont get none of that cr@p.

elnevio
18-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I've got a morris minor pickup to put on next week , hope i dont get none of that cr@p.
Watch out, you'll have the ClubMM.com eBay Police on your case too! :P

Eurospec
18-04-2008, 08:05 AM
E-bay will be of little help in a case like this, i would just re-ebay it.

I won a '1998 Impreza STI' on ebay a while ago. Paypal'd a £250 deposit. Went to get the car and it was a 94 WRX with the vin plate off a wagon on it!

Can i get my deposit back? Nah! Will ebay help? Nah! Paypal? Nah!

Cheers,

Ben.

Wodjno
18-04-2008, 08:09 AM
E-bay will be of little help in a case like this, i would just re-ebay it.

I won a '1998 Impreza STI' on ebay a while ago. Paypal'd a £250 deposit. Went to get the car and it was a 94 WRX with the vin plate off a wagon on it!

Can i get my deposit back? Nah! Will ebay help? Nah! Paypal? Nah!

Cheers,

Ben.

And the seller still has his teeth :speechles

Kieran
18-04-2008, 08:32 AM

That's outrageous!! And Ebay won't do anything about it?!:inquisiti

Eurospec
18-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Mark and i went all the way to County Durham to pick it up. The seller wasnt in. Left the car with his sister and her little baby to do the deal. Seatbelt tags (with date of manufacture stamp) all cut out, blatent 94 front end. STI rev counter and fuel guages etc, WRX speedo (Wrx are manual speedo drives, sti electronic, hence he couldnt change the face _ that might be the wrong way round, but you get the idea). Opened the bonnet, wrx motor not an sti. No td05 turbo etc etc.

Impreza's have a model code on the vin plate. I ran that through the online check and the model code was for a 94 wagon, yet the car was a saloon! HPI'd it and it came back as a 94 WRX.

The car i would suspect is the back half of a 98 sti and the front half of a 94 wrx wagon.

Went to ebay and said 'false description etc'. They basically said hard cheese! Paypal dispute came back as 'resolved' within the hour! Mark being an ex para and not really liking spending all day driving to co durham, or laying out cash for nothing was pretty much ready to splatter the guy, but what the hell can you do?! Without another trip up there to his sisters house where he doesnt live we are pretty much stuffed on it.

I reported it to the police, not interested. Blatent attempt at deception and a dangerous vehicle. Too busy getting people for going 41 in a 40!

I advised the scum sucker who sold it to us to get the car checked since it has an obvious identity problem and some length had been gone to in order to disguise the real identity. Since it was a pottential cut and shut i said he should get it checked propperly. He basically said 'Go Footle yourself, you know nothing, i'm reporting you to ebay as a non paying bidder!'

We know nowt. Between us we have 4 impreza's, mark has imported litterally thousands of cars from japan and he's been working on them since 1999!Obviously we cant spot a wrong un!

Cheers,

Ben.

Lillywotsername
18-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Thats awful..... Not only are you basically out of pocket, if the car is a "cut and shut" as you are sure it is, the police should at least do something about it. /Grrr I am getting really wound up with ebay atm..... and the to$$ers that use it to flog their dodgey dangerous cars.

WildCards
18-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Generally speaking:

Police = Chocolate Teacosy

Scanny
19-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I am getting really wound up with ebay atm..... and the to$$ers that use it to flog their dodgey dangerous cars.

this is why i wont touch ebay for anything expensive. the most i have spent is £140 on a HUUUUUGE activity tree thing for my cats. delivered quick and is excellant quality. i doubt you would find a car and utter comments like that. its a minefield which is a shame for the genuine sellers

Rambaud
19-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your deal gone wrong.

I suspect the only legal way to get your £250 back is to go Court via the Small Claims procedure. He might not want a CCJ against him, as in the current mortgage climate that is very likely to be instant rejection. But you can send in bailiffs or attachment of earnings etc.

Also, at lot of hassle.