PDA

View Full Version : Model Reports !m

Wodjno
17-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Does anyone know what the biggest issue with getting a Model Report written for the VR4 ?

bradc
17-04-2008, 08:08 PM
emissions?

Beastlee
17-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Finding someone who will pay for it?

Wodjno
17-04-2008, 08:12 PM
[quote=bradc]emissions?[/quote

So it's impossible ?

bradc
17-04-2008, 08:16 PM
with 4 catalytic converters, half the exhaust piped out to the atmosphere and the bung put into the back of another car 5 miles away it might be possible :)

Wodjno
17-04-2008, 08:17 PM
with 4 catalytic converters, half the exhaust piped out to the atmosphere and the bung put into the back of another car 5 miles away it might be possible :)

So what sort of figures are we talking about ?

Nick Mann
17-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Wodj, I believe its about £3k-ish to create a model report. BUT if the car fails the emissions (and a standard VR4 will fail, even if it is an MOT pass) then you have nothing to show for your £3k.

Then you have to redesign the exhaust, and throw it back in for another £3k.

bernmc
17-04-2008, 08:56 PM
There's a thread somewhere by someone who tried to get it done. Can't remember details.

Problem is, the emissions bit has to be done at a testing facility with a 4wd rolling road. There aren't many, and consequently they're constantly occupied by dirty great 4wd surrey taxi's. The emission test will cost over a grand, and if you fail, ther's no free retest - you have to pay the full price again. And you go to the back of the queue. Again, I think I wrote about my enquiries with MIRA when I was investigating - I think it was a couple of months wait each time.

Everything's possible - just depends on how much you want to spend. Then, once the report's done, the cars tested against it must be exactly the same spec. So if the exhaust needs 4 cats to pass, every car must have the same forever more. Obviously, once it's through the SVA, all it has to do is pass the simple MOT emissions test.

The reason that VR4's haven't been done is because they're not in demand enough to make spending the money on a report viable for the bigger importers.

ANTHONY
17-04-2008, 08:59 PM
also is it true they need a crash test or was somebody pulling my dangles

bernmc
17-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Also note - if the car fails the emissions test, you don't have to have everything else done again AFIK - you just have to get the emissions bit done again.

It's something the club might consider. It could then keep all the bits needed to ESVA imports, and hire them out/offer a conversion service. Once the car's done, the bits come back off and get stored ready for the next one.

bernmc
17-04-2008, 09:02 PM
also is it true they need a crash test or was somebody pulling my dangles

No. Single Vehicle Approval wouldn't be much use if you destroyed the single vehicle :)!!