PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder...

BraindG
23-02-2004, 10:17 AM
what would happen to the car/engine if it was firing on 5 cylinders? what effect would that have? how would you tell?

enigma
23-02-2004, 11:28 AM
A quick way to tell is to pull the connectors of each of the coils in turn (only pull one at a time on the low tension side, watch for the high tension side as this may hurt!). As each coil feeds 2 cylinders you will notice the engine will run really rough on 4. If when you pull one coil off it doesn't make much difference then this cylinder pair probably isn't working too well! This is how I diagnosed my dodgy plugs!

BraindG
23-02-2004, 11:35 AM
when i came back from nottingham lastnight, i really noticed this shuddering.. seems to only happen once the car is fully up to temp..

like the rumble strips when you come up to a roundabout... but only happens up to 40MPH, over that its fine.. :wow:

spoke to a few guys here at work, and one mentioned the plugs/leads instantly cos he just had the same problem... :thinking:

Nick VR4
23-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Barry is you have old HT leads these may have cracks in
To check this one way is to look at the leads in bad light or better still in the dark
You can see sparks jumping off the leads

BraindG
23-02-2004, 01:42 PM
actually!.. they are the ones from Mo's old one i think... :thinking: :shifty:

BraindG
23-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Barry is you have old HT leads these may have cracks in
To check this one way is to look at the leads in bad light or better still in the dark
You can see sparks jumping off the leads

k, will have a look tonight

Spirit
23-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Spoke to Barry earlier - another thought was maybe a fault in one of the tyres. As the car runs longer the tyres get hotter and the air inside expands and then exagerates the problem, but like a wheel wobble maybe it disappears at certain speeds - in this case over 40 ? Sound possible ?

BraindG
23-02-2004, 08:30 PM
its the strangest thing though.. sometimes its just not there.. mostly however its there... untill your surpass 40MPH

zedy1
23-02-2004, 09:51 PM
barry the leads you have on are the orignal ones from that engine cant see them to be old and worn with 9k on engine, however it is possible they could have got damaged when engine was removed, but very unlikely when fitted :-D

BraindG
24-02-2004, 01:24 AM
:$ :lipsrseal :sad3: <-shoots himself

Kieran
24-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Have you found out the problem then?