PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Major Fuel issues

mpau009
25-04-2008, 06:55 AM
As per title, iv just had the most terrifying experience of my life. Spent from 7.30 this morning putting my car back together, started it up 20 minutes ago, FPR was set way too high, so i dropped it down to 38-40psi as per the article on here. No worries, no buzzing from the fuel tank like last time. Drove it 10 feet out of the garage, and there is a cronic fuel smell. Get out.

WHOLLY **** there is a stream of gas pouring out from the fuel tank area, right next to the exhaust on my uninsured car:speechles

Turned it off, disconnected the battery, pushed it out of the puddle, and it doesnt stop....

What the hell should i do now. It took me about 4-5 minutes to jack the car up and put a bucket under there, so there is a second even bigger colossal puddle of gas.

ended up taking the gas cap off and its started to slow up.

Fuel pump is Walbro, direct battery identical setup to Gly.

Wodjno
25-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Sounds like you haven't got your fuel tank sealing ring fitted correctly!

mpau009
25-04-2008, 06:59 AM
Sounds like you haven't got your fuel tank sealing ring fitted correctly!

Thanks, i'll go unscrew the cover and have a look.

it was idling in the garage for an good 15 minutes before i moved it, without any problems other than the initial high fuel pressure (80-100 psi:inquisiti)

Any other ideas would be great.

Gly
25-04-2008, 07:00 AM
what he said, check i put the hoses back on correctly (and put the clamps back on)...
i was having a bit of trouble getting the seal back in... thought i had it.

Wodjno
25-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks, i'll go unscrew the cover and have a look.

it was idling in the garage for an good 15 minutes before i moved it, without any problems other than the initial high fuel pressure (80-100 psi:inquisiti)

Any other ideas would be great.

I would say that's deffo the prob. It would take a while for the pressure to build in the tank to a point that it would force fuel out of a not properly secured sealing ring. So thats why it was ok to start with..

mpau009
25-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Okay, iv pulled it all apart and reseated the ring, and all the pipes etc. TBH, it looks like everything was in order, minus all the petrol around the place :P

I'll wait an hour or two for the fumes to clear, and give it another go. I'll leave the inspection hatch open too, so i can see if / where it leaks.

/notworthy Thanks for that guys, iv *chilled* a bit now.. I was mega stressing, picturing 8 months work going up in flames...:pimp2:

That and it was something i totally hadnt thought about

Plus, carsten you saw how full the tank is/was:baby:

bradc
25-04-2008, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't try it again tonight, you won't be able to see anything. Try it tomorrow

Wodjno
25-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Plus, carsten you saw how full the tank is/was:baby:

That was another thing i was going to ask.. How full was your tank.. ??

TBH you prolly wouldn't be able to notice anything wrong, even if the ring was on crossthreaded.. It's such a shallow thread it would hardly be noticeable. The hardest thing to get seated properly is the seal itself.. How tight did you tighten the ring. Hand tight or knocking it round with a mallet and a blunt object ..

mpau009
25-04-2008, 08:48 AM
That was another thing i was going to ask.. How full was your tank.. ??

TBH you prolly wouldn't be able to notice anything wrong, even if the ring was on crossthreaded.. It's such a shallow thread it would hardly be noticeable. The hardest thing to get seated properly is the seal itself.. How tight did you tighten the ring. Hand tight or knocking it round with a mallet and a blunt object ..

Yeah, i filled it to the absolute brim before i took it off the road... part of why i was cacking my pants:P

I watched carsten do it last time, it was tight, used a mallet and big screw driver, but hey maybe it was having a bad day, and we couldnt exactly check it.

..needless to say iv done it up 'fully tight' this time to be sure.

and yeah, brad i'm going to leave it for now, im shot, need some dinner and sleep:baby:

The seal does seem kind of big for the hole, but it did go on nicely in the end.

I'll keep you posted. Other than that and the pipework being a **** with gaskets and coatings on, it all went together pretty smoothly.

Nice But
25-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Mine was pissing fuel out of the same place....... took the hatch off under the seat and there was a puddle sitting on top of the tank. Good job I stopped smoking.

Tightened up with hammer method problem solved......oh and my tank was brimmed and then the car parked for 2 days.