PDA

View Full Version : Shear luck on bolts

scc
26-04-2008, 09:08 PM
It is just me or are are the bolts on our cars just made of jelly?

I tried to remove the bumper today to replace the power steering cooler pipe, and almost every single bolt I undone had sheared off, all except for two.
Even the archliner bolts sheared off too!!!

So now I've got a bumper only held in by those pop pins, and those wretched very inner arch bolts. And almost all the other bolts to remove the bumper and arch liner sheared off!

Needless to say I didn't managed to get the bumper off because the inner archer liner bolts didn't have a cross hair for my phillips screw driver to latch on to.

So now it looks like I'm having to go to mitsu to get it done ;-( OR should I let a local garage to handle the job of drilling out the sheared bolts etc?

Cheers,
scc

ANTHONY
26-04-2008, 11:05 PM
you could try here and get a sheared bolt extractor http://www.toolstation.com/shop/DrillBits/SpecialityDrillsandChucks/d110/sd1400 code 51010

Paul Beazer
28-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I think Mitsu sourced their bolts from Cadburys. They are very soft and tend to seize very easily.
The only suggestion i can make is try and tighten them slightly first and attack them with penetrating oil and go easy on them when undoing. Your local bolt supplier should be able to provide new ones, rather than re-using grotty old ones. This doesnt help the ones that have already sheared though, sorry.