PDA

View Full Version : GTA IV - Purchased!

d i c k i e s
28-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Went down at 11:55pm to the local game shop and brought the latest edition of GTA. Havent played it yet, so will let you know how it all goes... Crack up, alot of parents had lined up for awaiting kids in the car... hahahaha /pan. Also alot of old buggers there too! im guessing late 30's early 40's.

ianturbo
28-04-2008, 11:51 PM
you need to get out more !!!!

Rosco_NZ
29-04-2008, 12:05 AM
good stuff, im gonna wait for the pc release... sold the x360 a while ago regretable when i moved (so i could afford to buy a fridge! personally i think we could have lived on fresh food but the mrs wasn't happy)

u got it on ps3 or xbox?

ianturbo
29-04-2008, 12:14 AM
No No No .its not real its a game for kids !!!!!

d i c k i e s
29-04-2008, 12:58 AM
i got in on PS3 :evilgrin:
my son wanted to play it... umm no! you cant play that game /pan

VR4 MAD
29-04-2008, 01:21 AM
.........................Also a lot of old buggers there too! I'm guessing late 30's early 40's.

Hey, steady on with that "old buggers............ at early 40's" c**p. /Grrr

We're not old, just ....................been around awhile. /pan LOL

Not sure about the UK version, but ours and the Aussies version has been quite extensively censored from what I've heard. The US versions isn't censored at all so would seem to be the one to get.

/toycar

d i c k i e s
29-04-2008, 01:43 AM
hehehehe... sorry i mean our elderly lot!

well i got home after i brought and just went to sleep... cos if i did stay up i know i wouldnt be at work today!

pitslayer
29-04-2008, 03:07 AM
i dont think the uk version will be censored, as i thinks ts made in the uk.
i did go down to tesco, to see if i could get it. got there at like 11.20.....not out till 12.01am....looked around then, and noticed how many people were just waiting around by the games. then went to the front door after thinking screw this, and noticed more people waiting down there....then i noticed the carpark was full of people in there cars....and i thought to myself....ive got bettet things to do than this....sad sad people, if i feel like it i might try and pick it up tomorow. but ive just borrowed the orange box, so playing through that. yes i know i havnt played half life 2 yet, or episode one or two. or portal, well mostly have now....so GTA can wait

edit: and im still deciding on which to go for. PS3 or 360. i get the ps3 version, i cant play online with any of my mates as they all have 360...i get the 360 version and sacrifice the graphics, as they had to scale it all down to run on a 360, microsoft being awkward, all games must be able to be played on every 360. the ps3 will have better graphics as it will cache loads of stuff to the hard drive....now because some people are cheapskates and have core 360s, with no harddrive you cant cache it to the system. so we get poor graphics. stupid en, being try level models

elnevio
29-04-2008, 06:55 AM
The UK GTAIV is uncensored. The BBFC 18 classification was gained without any cuts. The US version is PAL, and I guess the US version is NTSC. Does the PS3 play both? Most new tellies can handle any input now.

I need to get a PS3, but I'll be waiting until GT5 (full-fat, not the BS prologue) is out. GTA and GT are usually the reasons for me getting a new console - that's what happened with the PS2!

orionn2o
29-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Fantastic I may try and get myself a copy tonight!!

miller
29-04-2008, 11:06 AM
whens GT5 out Nev?

anyone know which GT version on the PS2 has the legnum in it?

Mike

elnevio
29-04-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm guessing it'll actually be in another 18 months. I'm not sure which one the Leggie's in, maybe GT3 A-Spec, I'll have a look...

EDIT: It was in GT4 - I'll have to get playing it again. Was also in GT2 on the PSX, might have to dig that out too for a laugh!

philipbennett25
29-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Has anyone found and driven the 8G Galant in GTA IV yet?

http://media.gtanet.com/images/3898_gta_iv.jpg

I will be finding one and putting it in my garage and having it painted trigger mauve.

philipbennett25
29-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Another shot.

http://media.gtanet.com/images/4174_gtaiv_screenshot.jpg

Mine doesnt roll like this.

pitslayer
29-04-2008, 02:19 PM
why would you paint it trigger mauve?

Wodjno
29-04-2008, 02:46 PM
why would you paint it trigger mauve?

Because he likes the colour and he has plenty of time to do it /yes Cos he hasn't got to clean lots of oil from his engine bay :speechles :speechles :speechles :speechles :speechles

philipbennett25
29-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Missing the point there. Its pretty cool that they put a Galant into the game.

WildCards
29-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Cos he hasn't got to clean lots of oil from his engine bay :speechles :speechles :speechles :speechles :speechles

/haz /thankyou /GJ

elnevio
29-04-2008, 06:17 PM
They're clearly fans!

As for how it rolls, it must be a V6-24!!

d i c k i e s
29-04-2008, 10:21 PM
i got one as my wallpaper!... had as my wallpaper.. changed it for a group shot of our welli crew leggies!

man... first impressions of this game (WOW!!!!)
havent done any missions as of yet, just getting to know my way around the city. (be alot easier) from the first car i broke into... it was all over... this game is da bomb!! So many cool cars on there... its not even funny!
Im not gonna spoil it for anyone... you gotta get it... Graphics are fricken MEAN!!!

barney_r1
29-04-2008, 11:41 PM
oooooooooooh, i got it and have had it on for the last 4 hours (GTA IV) its a bit good, pre order was the way to do it. You can't even get it on amazon or play . com. If you have a ps3 or an inferior 360 its a must have

d i c k i e s
29-04-2008, 11:52 PM
If you have a ps3 or an inferior 360 its a must have

edit: and im still deciding on which to go for. PS3 or 360. i get the ps3 version, i cant play online with any of my mates as they all have 360...i get the 360 version and sacrifice the graphics, as they had to scale it all down to run on a 360, microsoft being awkward, all games must be able to be played on every 360. the ps3 will have better graphics as it will cache loads of stuff to the hard drive....now because some people are cheapskates and have core 360s, with no harddrive you cant cache it to the system. so we get poor graphics. stupid en, being try level models

this comment here sums it up quite nicely! :evilgrin:

djb160
30-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I reckon that's a bit off as game makers don't actually try to make use of all the platforms physical capabilities as it's a waste of time and money.

Robotnik123
30-04-2008, 01:31 AM
I love the GTA series but lack a new gen console. This will be my excuse to get one though! What should I get PS3 or Xbox? Was thinking PS3 so I can play Blu-Ray movies too.

d i c k i e s
30-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Go PS3 bro!

PlayStation 3 Specifications and Details
Product name: PLAYSTATION 3

CPU: Cell Processor

PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
GPU: RSX @550MHz

1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth:

Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
VRAM: 22.4GB/s
RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
System Floating Point Performance: 2 TFLOPS

Storage:

HDD
Detachable 2.5” HDD slot x 1
I/O:

USB: Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick: standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD: standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash: (Type I, II) x 1
Communication: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g

Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller:

Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSPĀ®)
Network (over IP)
AV Output:

Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1
CD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD Disc media (read only):

PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video: DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc media (read only):

PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
BD-Video: BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

d i c k i e s
30-04-2008, 01:57 AM
heres what i could find on xbox

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
Two hardware threads per core; six hardware threads total
VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total
128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance 9.6 billion dot product operations per second
Custom ATI Graphics Processor 10 MB of embedded DRAM
48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
Unified shader architecture

Polygon Performance 500 million triangles per second
Pixel Fill Rate 16 gigasamples per second fill rate using 4x MSAA

Shader Performance 48 billion shader operations per second
Memory 512 MB of 700 MHz GDDR3 RAM
Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
21.6 GB/s front-side bus

Overall System Floating-Point Performance 1 teraflop

Storage Detachable and upgradeable 20-GB hard drive
12x dual-layer DVD-ROM
Memory Unit support starting at 64 MB

I/O Support for up to four wireless game controllers
Three USB 2.0 ports
Two memory unit slots

Optimized for Online Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live features with broadband service, including Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content, gamer profile for digital identity, and voice chat to talk to friends while playing games, watching movies, or listening to music
Built-in Ethernet port
Wi-Fi ready: 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g
Video camera–ready

Digital Media Support Support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 CD, JPEG Photo CD
Ability to stream media from portable music devices, digital cameras, and Windows XP-based PCs
Ability to rip music to the Xbox 360 Hard Drive
Custom playlists in every game
Built-in Media Center Extender for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Interactive, full-screen 3-D visualizers

High-Definition Game Support All games supported at 16:9, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, with anti-aliasing
Standard-definition and high-definition video output supported

Audio Multi-channel surround sound output
Supports 48KHz 16-bit audio
320 independent decompression channels
32-bit audio processing
Over 256 audio channels

Physical Specs Height: 83 mm
Width: 309 mm
Depth: 258 mm
Weight: 7.7 lbs.

System Orientation Stands vertically or horizontally

Customizable Faceplates Interchangeable to personalize the console

Robotnik123
30-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Thanks. I guess PS3 has better hardware.

I should ask whch one has the best GTA IV implementation?

I probably won't do online play, so am thinking PS3 especially as it has no region locks on its games, meaning I can order the uncensored UK version of GTA.

J-Mo-15
30-04-2008, 06:13 AM
Not wanting to sound Bias in any way, i have the Xbox 360 version jsut because Rockstar games signed an agreement with microsoft to make the next GTA xbox exclusive, i find that hard to believe but also, we will have more missions etc available to download later in the year which are Xbox 360 exclusive.

The difference between the uncut version is One cutscene is removed, it invloves Niko sticking a gun/baseball bat up someones exit point.

If you really have trouble getting a console... get both haha. na i dont know. Sonys got Bluray, which is only any good if you have a 1080p television.

X360 has alot more games (at the moment).

PS3 is sonys last console. They are now only focusing on handhelds and consumer electronice like stereos etc.

X360 has a far superior online application. Xbox live is awesome, and basically everygame is online compatible, there are a few which can ONLY be played online, (fantasy star universe, Crackdown).

PS3 40gb and under consoles dont play your old PS2 games, this was to reduce costs.

X360 doesnt play all original xbox games, but most, and the list of compatible ones grows every few weeks or so.

PS3 in my opinion is better looking. Dont much like or use the SIXAXIS, but there are dualshock controllers coming out later this month.

In the end its up to you... dont buy it coz someone told you to haha

James

Fully
30-04-2008, 07:49 AM
lol you have got it all wrong!
PC is the only way to play games :)

But I must admit GT5 looks bloody good when I played it in the weekend on a HD screen, But GT has always looked good even on PS1.

As for GTA IV shame we wont see it on the PC for awhile, Just means more San Andreas multi player for a bit longer :)

But its good to see that the consoles are almost caught up with pcs, but will never be surpassed :P

djb160
01-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Actually as far as I know that's a bit missleading as well coz the developers for console specific games get much better bang for their buck than us PC users as they don't have to take varying hardware/software/OS into account. At least that was what our guest lecturer last year was talking about.

White Lightning
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
PS3 all the way for me ... had mine for about 6 months now and love it. Currently playing COD4 online as much as I can get away with. Tempted to get GTA IV but don't really want to be distracted too much from COD4 until I get to level 55 for the first time!

Fully
02-05-2008, 04:15 AM
To put it mildly, I hate consoles! I use to develop games for the arcade market for about 16 yrs, close to 20 if you take the time I was there part time.
Consoles are the reason, that market went down hill. Not 100% but a big factor to it.

Thats bs Dale. Pc users will upgrade if they want to play something they like. The market of people that would not upgarde to play something is so small that the developers don't care.
Also when you decide to make a game, the engine you build it on will be around 2 yrs old by the time the game goes gold anyway(give or take 6 months).

Lets look at some other facts. Pc's have being around for about 10 yrs from 486's DX models and when almost most homes have 1. I have upgraded 4 -5 times in that time. So that once every 2.2 years, that what they (developers) expect from most gamers to do the same. Its not complete upgrades, but It's something new to the system, it be graphics, mem, cpu.

As for the O/s there is only the 3 that they are concered about, Linux, Mac and Windows.

djb160
03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah and they largely ignore anything but windows. But the hardware issue gets tricky depending on the game. Say, a more non-cutting-edge game will try to predict what most computers will be able to cope with. Something like Crysis does a bit but then tries to push that limit somewhat to leave room for future tech(of course Crysis has done it to a dangerous point never seen before AFAIK).

Rossco Type-S
04-05-2008, 07:56 AM
The Galant or "Vincent" as its called definately aint a VR4...its a bit slow.

Scanny
05-05-2008, 03:29 PM
i just read a review on GTA4 a few days ago. i had no intentions of getting a PS3 yet but i will be now. the PS2 is playing up now anyway so rather than get another one i may as well get the newer version. i still have a pile of games from the 1st playstation including GTA london and GTA2. switching to another console would be throwing a lot of money down the drain.

my tuppence worth to the pc debate is simple. i use my pc for strategy/puzzle and slower games ie majong, sims etc and the playstation for faster or reaction games ie racing, shooting etc

red12b
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
ITS awesome.
The game is Just cool.

d i c k i e s
05-05-2008, 10:01 PM
The Galant or "Vincent" as its called definately aint a VR4...its a bit slow.

think we all knew that... /pan

d i c k i e s
25-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Completed the story saturday night just before midnight.
Awesome Story line...

d i c k i e s
06-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Grrrr my son has just gone a deleted all the game saves on the PS3.
Just wondering if someone has a game save? or if someone could upload there one?

White Lightning
06-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Err ... I am about 15% through the game but have no idea how to upload it sorry /pan

d i c k i e s
06-06-2008, 02:52 PM
dats okay... im on 16.74% started again from start since about 3 hours ago.
just got my safehouse on second island... makes it easier when you have already seen the cut-scenes.