PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic Spacers

Gly
29-04-2008, 11:07 AM
any one using one???

looking at one availible from rpw

Click Me (http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=412&category_id=221&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54)

worth the money, does it really do what it claims?

bradc
29-04-2008, 11:13 AM
I find that if I'm driving on the motorway, or even when racing at Pukekohe, the intake manifold stays warm, but not hot to touch, perhaps 40-50C.

It is when you're sitting in traffic for a long time that it gets HOT and kills performance. I notice it with my car if I've been in traffic for a long time and floor it, I can feel that it is a bit slower. Gary has a temp sensor in the intake manifold and it adjusts timing based on the air temp. So to me it is a big issue. Dunno what the stock ecu does......

If you get one, I'll get one as well :)

Davezj
29-04-2008, 01:32 PM
there are some guys on here that have them but they were in a groupe buy some time ago. if you search on "phenolic" you should find it .

zentac
29-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I did the original group buy, it does reduce the heat but Ive found that moving my throttle body to the other side totally got rid of my heat problems

Eurospec
30-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Personally speaking, i find they are a right PITA!

You will find that the rear plenum stays have to be notched to get the bolts back in, and whilst they do stop heat soak in the plenum, they also cause a lot of boost leaks.

If it comes in here with a raised up plenum and the customer says he has a run fault, 99% of the time removing the spacer will cure it.

If you are looking for fractions in the 1/4, then sure they are worth it. For an every day car i think they are just hassle.

Cheers,

Ben.

bradc
30-04-2008, 07:21 AM
interesting viewpoint Ben, thanks!

Gly
30-04-2008, 08:22 AM
yeah asked this same question on a few other mitsi forums,
having varied feedback,

but general response is, its not worth it on a road car.
not a bang for buck mod.

Mitsiman
01-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I run them on my 18 psi 6G74 V6 and have never had an issue with boost leaks or fitting problems.

It all comes down to how you fit them. If done with some quality sealer, and tightened properly they don't present any difficulties.

Kieran
01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
The other comment I'd make is to consider how thick they are. I got one of the group buy ones and it was about 3 or 4mm thick. This meant the bolts on the rear plenum brace wouldn't line up, and also the threads on the main row of bolts attaching the plenum to the injector manifolds didn't fully reach. For 7 out of the 8 bolts this was fine, however the last one stripped out the top of the thread on the casting. Fortunately removing the spacer allowed the bolt to reach the undamaged part of the thread and I was able to torque it up.