PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problem.

nismoevo
04-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I have a strange problem on my Legnum (manual), sometimes the gears stuck and i cannot put the car from the first gear to neutral happend today when i should park the car in my garage i was on first gear and should put the car in neutral and open the garage port, the stick was stuck i cannot move the stick even if i had the clutch pressed to the buttom. I needed to shut of the car then the stick easily move from the first gear to neutral, then i started the car again put in the first gear and then tried to go direct to neutral was no problem at all then?

And if i start the car with a gear already in the car dosent jump forward or something.

Why does it do like this? is hard to put in gears when the car is cold also, but it has been a little bit better after i change the oil in the gearbox before that is was nearly impossible to put in any gear when the car was cold i needed to start the car with a gear in and then drive out from the garage.

My mitsubishi dealer have never seen a vr4 but asked my what happens if i had the car in first gear with the clutch pressed down and the rev the car to 4000-5000rpm if the car moves a little bit then i should be clutch problem according to him, but the car dosent move a bit if i rev it with the first gear in and the clutch pedal to the buttom.

When i have driven if for some minuts the gearbox works like normal.

Anyone have a suggestion what could be wrong? the car dosent makes alot bad noises when you change the gears when you drive the car only that the gears stuck sometimes so cannot put it in neutral etc. But sometimes i dont have any problem at all, so very strange problem. Can you adjust the clutch in any way on the legnum? or can it be any gear linkage or anything who makes this faul.

Suggestions anyone before i let Mitsubishi take a look at my baby :(:embarasse

bradc
04-05-2008, 09:24 PM
you have the wrong oil in it. They require a GL4 oil and it sounds like you have a GL5 oil in there. Some are worse than others, both my ST-R and VR-4 had GL5 oil in them and while the oil in the ST-R was ok (still a bit difficult, but not bad) the VR-4 was IMPOSSIBLE to shift into 1st when cold. 2nd was very difficult too and I often had to move the selector into a gear that would work, ie 3rd, 4th, 5th or reverse to move the gearset slightly, then try 1st again. It would sometimes work, other times it wouldn't and I'd have to select another gear.

The original mitsi oil will fix it, as will Amsoil MTG

nismoevo
05-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I have a mineral based oil now in the gearbox

75w-80 i think it is, got it recommended from a workshop who works with gearbox who are trouble boxes.

Do you think the box will be a lot better if i change to a oil who is fully synthetic?

If you read on the pdf file for quakerstate super qudrolube it says gl5 but in the swedish pdf file it also says gl4 confusing...

The car was a little bit better when i changed the oil to quakerstate yesterday against it was when i picked it up. but its not 100% gear stuck sometimes and struggle to get in gears when the car are cold.

So dont now if im gonna test to change the oil one more time to a synthetic oil, will that help anyone believes that?

local mitsubishi dealer only use statoil oil so cannot buy oil there, maybe some castrol oil.

this is my oil

http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/QuakerState/Gear&Transmission/pdf/SuperQuadrolubeGearLubricant.PDF

bradc
05-05-2008, 08:51 AM
some oils claim to be gl3/4/5 compatible. It's just like saying that a van goes around corners. Yes it is true...but a VR-4 goes around corners better!

I'd say you don't really need fully synthetic for the transmission, sure you might need to change mineral more often, but it isn't as critical as the engine. Just make sure the oil you use is GL4 only.

nismoevo
05-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Okey i will try to change oil for the last time

Redline mt90 oil can i buy today over disc, is that oil good enough

or should i choose lightweight or ultralightweight redline oil?

bradc
05-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I've heard of EVO guys running MT90 and they have the same gearbox, so it should be good. For more oil options, check out www.evolutionm.net The EVO 5 speed is the same box

nismoevo
05-05-2008, 05:02 PM
redline mt90 will be put in the car today.

can the shifter bracket only be broken or work? if its broken no gear will get out, but can in be nearly broken and then makes that you have diffculty to put out gears sometimes?

Talked to my local mitsubishi dealer today who talked about something with the slave cylinder if that didnt work correct as i should be, that it could be diffucult to put in neatural gear from the first gear etc.

Well will try the oil tricks first :)

nismoevo
05-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Redline mt90 in the car now

Seems better, havent had any gears who have stuck yet.

Funny is when i was driving around after i have changed the oil again sometimes if feels like cutting a knife i butter when i change gears very smooth, but some gear changes later it feels harder to get the gears in place even if they get there.

Is that normal for a vr4 gearbox?

bradc
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
thats not normal no, but at least it is a bit better. What happens when the car is fully warmed up?

nismoevo
06-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Drove it to my work this morgning and it feels good when its varm.

Only strange is that sometimes the gearchanges feel harder and immediate after one hard gearchange the next gearchange its very smooth and normal.

I found a new master and slave clutch cylinder in the garage, well maybe i should change them instead if have them on the shelf =)

Is it very hard to change them? anyone got pictures of a change of them.

amsoil
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you may have bent/ damaged a selector by forcing things. You may either have to live with this now or have the box stripped and checked with any damaged/ bent parts replaced.

nismoevo
06-05-2008, 09:47 AM
So no one thinks that a leaking slave cylinder etc will also makes this faul?

if i have damaged a selector shouldnt it be hard to change gears everytime then when i try to do it?

amsoil
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
A leaking slave will not make the box fail unless it inhibits clutch release and the gears are therefore forced and crunched. Without being too funny its the chap behind the wheel that causes the problems in such cases, forcing things and trying to get away without sorting the problem until its not possible to drive without fixing things. I do appreciate that getting home can be quite important and have done it myself in a company car; not too sure if I would on my own though.

So no one thinks that a leaking slave cylinder etc will also makes this faul?

nismoevo
06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
driven it for 2 hours now seems likes it gets better and better

works really god now when the car is warm, lite more tricky when its cold read that redline mt90 can be little like that somtimes, but hey im gonna drive it until it makes kaabooom..

Mitsubishi did fix my high idle (finally) today so now the car works really god :)

nismoevo
08-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Anyone knows if there is any part number for the whole gearbox to the legnum vr4 manual? (1997) etc MD number

Or should w5m51 work to say.

Im gonna check what a new gearbox cost directly from japan, when im going there about 1 month.

And one more question if i had damaged a selector would i notice that when i try to change gears when the car is off=?

peter thomson
08-05-2008, 12:00 PM
MD975141 or MD975918 dependant on when it was built in 97. pm your chassis number and I can confirm it later

nismoevo
12-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Talked to my Brother in Japan who have contacted Mitsubishi japan for price on a new gearbox to my Legnum

"Legnum EC5W M/T Transmission
¥23835"

23835yen, can this be right? Freight on that and maybe custom fee but sounds like crazy price...

peter thomson
12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
I gave you the wrong part number .It should be MD975145 or MD976257 dependant on chassis number

peter thomson
12-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Talked to my Brother in Japan who have contacted Mitsubishi japan for price on a new gearbox to my Legnum

"Legnum EC5W M/T Transmission
¥23835"

23835yen, can this be right? Freight on that and maybe custom fee but sounds like crazy price...

That can't be right .Only about £120