PDA

View Full Version : Rather pleased with myself

Ryan
05-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I was given a bottle of 2001 Shiraz by my inlaws for my birthday a little while ago and decided that tonight was the perfect night to liberate the contents.

However, my plan almost came to naught when I discovered that I had no corkscrew! What do I do? Sure, I could push the cork into the bottle but then that wouldn't do the wine's flavour any favours.

I set out to extract the cork from the bottle whilst my wife watched bemusedly. I opened my toolbox and selected what I would need. A screw driver, some long nose pliers and then, wonder of wonders, came across some wood screws!

What a luck! I managed to turn the screw into the cork and, as it was a small screw, drove another one in beside it. I then used the pliers to get a drip underneath the heads of the screws, left hand and thumb as the fulcrum and proceeded to lift the cork out of the bottle :)

Voila! A few minutes to breathe and am have just sampled the fruits of my labour and they are good!

SGHOM
05-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Why didn't you just walk to the shop & buy one ? :thinking:

TAR
05-05-2008, 11:37 AM

Coz that wouldn't show off his manly creativeness and calm in an emergency!!

bradc
05-05-2008, 11:38 AM
but did you put the sump plug back in?

/runs

Kieran
05-05-2008, 12:31 PM

Because he lives in NZ and everybidy knows that all the NZ lot have massive houses in the middle of nowhere! :P Something's considered 'local' if it's less than 5 miles away!/lol

Physician
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm very impressed ......... you'll go far! (Well, as far as NZ anyway) :happy:

bradc
05-05-2008, 08:08 PM
no thats just my place :) Ryan lives about 5 minutes from the CBD

Ryan
05-05-2008, 08:25 PM
LoL - if the truth be told, I was far too lazy to walk to the store and I really *really* wanted to try that wine.

In retrospect I saved myself some time opening it using my improvised manner as the store isn't that close by ;)

pitslayer
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
if your going to let the wine breath, then pour it out. when a wine bottle is opened and left to breath, the only part of the wine that does breath is the first inch or so in the neck. which makes it pointless :)
sorry i like wine, and learnt alot about it over the past years

Ryan
05-05-2008, 10:11 PM
if your going to let the wine breath, then pour it out. when a wine bottle is opened and left to breath, the only part of the wine that does breath is the first inch or so in the neck. which makes it pointless :)
sorry i like wine, and learnt alot about it over the past years

Yes, this is true. And it's breathe, not breath - some learning still to be done it seems.

ANTHONY
05-05-2008, 10:14 PM
in London the winos just smash the neck of the bottle off

ANTHONY
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
sorry i like wine, and learnt alot about it over the past yearsyes we know you like to wine /pan

Turbo_Steve
05-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Hmm...better than my original attempt at this a few years back using a hand drill and a very large drill bit.

Best not to go there.

Paul Beazer
06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Hmm...better than my original attempt at this a few years back using a hand drill and a very large drill bit.

Best not to go there.
PMSL!

pitslayer
06-05-2008, 04:10 PM
yeh ive tryed the drill one, ends badly usually.
i never buy cheap wine, for me if i want a wine i will buy a bottle of faustino 5 nom nom nom....but when i had few people over last year for sunday lunch, someone brought a cheap wine with them with a screw top!!!! and i jammed the corkscrew into without looking and then wonder why when i pulled the levers down, the cork didnt come out or budge /pan

CANDEE
07-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Over here a few of our top wines now use the screw-top bottles rather than the corks... Much easier to open :P