PDA

View Full Version : Which Muffler ? Deep & Quiet !

EdmundVR4
19-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know of a muffler INSERT INTO post VALUES (brand & model)that's very free flowing & gives off a nice deep tone that gets louder exponentially with higher rpm's & is quiet at lower rpms ?
I mean deep & low at idle to cruising speed and at wot has a deep & powerful sound. My 8G VR4's stock exhaust is soooo quiet & I think, restrictive that i was thinking of changing just my rear barrel to a straight through muffler in hopes of some added performance & sound.
What is the most restrictive part of the stock 8G VR4 exhaust system ? Down pipe, catalytic converter, resonator or muffler ?
Do you think by replacing the stock muffler with a free flow muffler that i will get a noticeable increase in performance ?

On my other 7G VR4 the muffler I have right now is a little too loud at cruising speeds INSERT INTO post VALUES (drones...) and it interferes when listening to music...it's always there, even when i'm driving slow. And when I'm driving fast it's too quiet. Know what I mean ?
BTW, my 7G VR4car has no cats, one resonator and the rear barrel INSERT INTO post VALUES (muffler); 3" downpipe & 3" pipe all the way.
And while we are on mufflers, can anyone give opinions on these new tunable mufflers ?

Thanks everbody,
Ed

Brind
19-05-2003, 09:05 PM
I have to say I love my HKS Super Drager to bits.
I don't like the sound upto about 20mph inside the car as it's very boomy.

Outside when you listen, it is very deep and powerful sounding, although the rear can is huge it is surprisingly quiet at the same time as sounding powerful.
The guy has an exhaust on his Cosworth across the road, the rear can is smaller but it is much louder and obtrusive and smaller engine sounding.

It will also add about 15 to 20bhp to the car aswell.

EdmundVR4
21-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Grateful for your input !
Anyone else ?
Please ?

Regards,
Ed