PDA

View Full Version : 6G Oxygen Sensor location?!

Kieran
05-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Should I have one, and where the hell is it?!:inquisiti

My GLSi is getting absolutely rubbish MPG - Not surprising since I still have a CEL on (Air Pressure sensor knackered). However, before I went and found a replacement I decided to get an EVOScan cable and check out what the ECU is seeing - just incase something else was not operating correctly.

The Knock values, Octane Flag and Lambda sensor readings are WAY out. I think that the knock is Rich knocking rather than lean - Which is lowering the octane flag so that timing is pulled back, mixture is richened further, etc....

The Lambda sensor reading is showing in EvoScan as 3.1volts - Constant.:inquisiti This in itself doesn't worry me as the battery is reported in evoscan as being at 15 volts when the ignition's off (it's not), but the signal isn't oscilating as an O2 sensor signal should.

Now, according to my service manuals, the O2 sensor is on the manifold, but I can't see a sensor or any wire leading to it?!:inquisiti

The only thing I can think of is that my Galant is a 1990 model and it isn't fitted with a catalytic converter - I am thinking that it might not be fitted with an o2 sensor?

Anyone (Philip, Marksanne?!)??? /help

bradc
06-05-2008, 06:44 AM
what abouts caps? Does caps show the part location?

Kieran
06-05-2008, 07:54 AM
what abouts caps? Does caps show the part location?

My version of CAPS doesn't recognise UK-Spec Chassis numbers. On top of this, the 2.0 SOHC wasn't used in the Japanese market.

I actually know where the sensor SHOULD be - It should be on the left side of the exhaust manifold as you look at it - But I can't see it?!:speechles

Wodjno
06-05-2008, 08:20 AM
I think it's in the exhaust 'K' :vulcan:

Kieran
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I think it's in the exhaust 'K' :vulcan:

uploaded/326/1201303841.jpg

Any idea where?! /pan

bradc
06-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I think the first owl can see it

MarkSanne
06-05-2008, 10:48 AM
I have the DOHC versions of the engine in my GTi's and with those it is located on the top of the downpipe but you'll need to look in a weird angle to see it. There's a heatshield covering it a bit I think. On the SOHC versions I can't remember, besides I didn't do too much fiddling with it myself when I had that one, sorry.

HMG1K
06-05-2008, 12:09 PM
The only thing I can think of is that my Galant is a 1990 model and it isn't fitted with a catalytic converter - I am thinking that it might not be fitted with an o2 sensor?

Anyone (Philip, Marksanne?!)??? /help

This could be the case - a 1990 model (2.0 GLSi the ones with the Sierra RS Cosworth style alloys - like the white one on my avatar) won't have a catalytic convertor...

The way to confirm this is by opening the fuel flap - if it says "leaded or unleaded fuel, 95+ RON" then you haven't got a cat...

A 1991 (J reg, certainly K reg) models onwards (those with virtually flush alloys in the centre and not much or a design) had cats fitted as standard.)

Kieran
06-05-2008, 01:05 PM
What I mean is my car definetly doesn't have a cat - So I'm wondering if that also means there's no O2 sensor?

Paul Beazer
06-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I could be wrong, but every car i've had / used without a cat hasnt had any O2 sensors. So perhaps there isnt one in yours either?

elnevio
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Could it be that the brain on which surgery has been performed, is not the original, which perhaps was previously replaced with, for example, a 1991 (i.e. 6G *with* cat and/or O2 sensor) ECU? That is, it thinks there is an O2 sensor when in fact there isn't. Again, I might be way off, but is it possible?

HMG1K
06-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Just reading though the Owners Repair Guide for this generation and there's no mention of an O2 sensor... It covers the 1.8 GLS, .0 GLSi and 2.0 GTi 1988 > 1992.

Kieran
06-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Could it be that the brain on which surgery has been performed, is not the original, which perhaps was previously replaced with, for example, a 1991 (i.e. 6G *with* cat and/or O2 sensor) ECU? That is, it thinks there is an O2 sensor when in fact there isn't. Again, I might be way off, but is it possible?

Nah, the ECU does check out.

I'm thinking that there's no 02 sensor on this car - it's just got a more basic fuel injection setup.

Wodjno
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Any idea where?! /pan

Yup !!

It's somewhere along it's length, and around it's circumference /yes

If u need any more help, you know where i am :D