PDA

View Full Version : Your expertise please ....

Physician
25-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Whereas I appreciate this is a VR4 site I wondered if you could also give me some help regarding the 'standard' V6 24's.
I WANT a VR4 saloon but for the past three months have been unable to locate the exact spec I would like and so have been considering other options. I would like a black VR4 saloon with a tan or light grey leather interior - if they made them in that colour combination?
However, I've seen a number of standard V6's and 'Sport' models with tan interiors and I wondered what sort of performance these give ........ of course nowhere near the VR4 performance but what is the difference between the standard V6 and V6 Sport?
I've been reading the various threads here and noticed a few people are selling their VR4's .......if you would like to email me or post details here of the cars you have for sale (as well as any Legnums) I'd be very interested to evaluate them. I live in Leicester and my email address is on my profile page.
Many thanks for any help you can give me.
Richard

colVR4
25-02-2004, 02:06 PM
As far as I am aware (awaiting correction from my fellow V6 owners) the only difference between the V6 and V6 Sport is the bodykit and 17" alloy wheels. The V6 Sport has the VR4-a-like spoiler on the front and rear.

My own Sport is in black with black leather interior throughout with a momo steering wheel. I think the steering wheel may also be an addition to the Sport model over the standard V6...but I'm not so sure on that one. I am not aware of any difference in performance as there are no extra tweeks or mods from the standard V6.

In terms of comparison between the V6 Sport and the VR4...well, were do we start. The VR4 is a whole different league. The twin-turbo pushes out 280 bhp (post facelift) as opposed to the 150-160 ish of the V6 (depending on who you speak to and whether it is man or auto). The VR4 also has 4WD and Active Yaw Control, so the handling is way better (the suspension on the V6 is not great when it is being pushed hard, but more than adequate for most driving conditions).

However, there are other things to consider. For example, the V6 Sport will regularly manage 30-34 mpg whereas the VR4 can expect not much better than 20-25mpg and as low as 15-17mpg when you are having fun. There is also the insurance, VR4 is group 20 (I think) whereas the V6 Sport is 15-16 (depending on insurance company, I am insured with it as a 15).

Also the VR4 needs servicing every 4500 miles, compared to 9000 for the V6. So, you can see that the costs of owning a VR4 are more than the V6, but you are getting more performance.

I have had my V6 Sport for 6 months and I still enjoy driving it as much as the day I bought it. I think that if I ever drove a VR4 I would notice the difference, but the performance of the V6 is enough to keep me happy and to keep up with, if not out-perform, most other cars on the road.

I hope that this helps, and I am sure that many more members will add their piece.

Nick Mann
25-02-2004, 02:22 PM
I upgraded from a V6-24 to a VR4. The difference in performance is instantly noticeable, and has that WOW factor that the V6 doesn't quite achieve. The V6 is cheaper to run, though, and I mean cheaper! I had the V6 for almost 3 years, and the noise of the engine and performance was good enough. As Col said these will hold there own and see of most cars on the road. The difference with the VR4 is that you often go a couple of days without seeing anything that can keep up, let alone challenge.

The differences between the V6's are as far as I know cosmetic. I think it is safe to say that mechanically there is nothing different - the engines put out the same power (although I heard a runour that the later models had less due to emissions on tickover?) the suspension is the same, etc.

At the end of the day, if money is a big issue go for the V6. Otherwise the VR4! Whichever you get, come back and chat, as all are welcome! (Even dodgy GLS owners!!) :D

Robbothewhiz
25-02-2004, 03:26 PM
I own a grey V6 auto. 2002 reg With black leather. curise control, climate control, rear parking sensors, six disc CD/cassette/radio, electric and heated seats, four air bags, triptronic etc.

I know this is not for you but I can advise on performance and ride etc.. Mine is the auto version, four speed triptronic greabox. 0-60 about 8.5 secs the manual will do it just over 8 sec. The auto comes with electric and heated seats.

Great family car with reasonable performance. Same basic engine as the VR4, but without those loverly turbors.

Insurance group 15 which costs me £600. Full comp and with full no claims.

Like all galants it will go on for ever and you get a lot of car for your money when compared to other makes. Up to five years warranty from a main dealer up to 100K miles. First three are free the remainder about £280 per year (well worth it)

I would not part with it, except for a VR4!!! :-b

The ride is a bit soft and the car performs better around corners when in manual, the 4 speed box is a little too wide from around town. You hit 4th at 38mph. Kick down is great.

Things to look out for are the front rods and ball and socket joints, check for noise around tight corners, or small roundabouts. Had mine replaced under warranty at 45K miles.

Tyes lasted well upto 45K miles and I have just done 51K with existing breakes Mostly motorway!!. :D

Kieran
25-02-2004, 08:23 PM
...all are welcome! (Even dodgy GLS owners!!) :D

:stare: There's nowt dodgy about the GLS thankyou very much!!! :whip:

The V6 is certainly a good bet. In fact, i'd say it's got the best mix of performance, economy, reliability and fun. The GLS is good, the VR-4 is awesome, but if I were buying again, I think I would go for a V6 Sport. V6 lovliness, VR-4 styling, Jap-Spec dark interior with lots of toys and almost as cheap as the GLS to run and service, and Insurance isn't bonkers either.

KiwiTT
25-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Read this VR review. (http://www.motioncars.com/archive/car_review8/content.htm) It is basically the same as the V6

ReggieK
26-02-2004, 03:55 PM
I WANT a VR4 saloon but for the past three months have been unable to locate the exact spec I would like and so have been considering other options. I would like a black VR4 saloon with a tan or light grey leather interior - if they made them in that colour combination?

They certainly do, I'm pretty sure it's dependent on spec. I will be no doubt corrected if I am wrong but...

Spec
Standard - velour
Sport - recaro's
Luxury - leather (luxury might be called executive)

Mine has the tan leather and wood effect bits n pieces. Though mine's in mauve, not black. Looks good though.

I see what you mean about not finding right spec though, Autotrader has about 20-25 of these for sale and not one is black and has leather.

It's worth noting that whilst the leather looks good it doesn't grip you in your seat like the recaro's do. Worth knowing if you intend to throw it around a bit.

Physician
27-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Gentlemen,
Many thanks for the time you have all taken to respond. I've gleaned some very useful info and pointers from your input.
Just a small piece of info which follows up on what another member here said in one thread. He mentoned that the cars at KEIGHLEY TRADE CENTER were a bit ragged ......... I telephoned them to enquire about the VR4's they have for sale and the salesman/owner was not particularly helpful and treated me as if I was a 'time waster'. It also says on their web page that they will import to order and to let them know what your needs are in this respect. The guy I spoke with said that they have NEVER done this and NEVER will ......... I told him to read his web site at: http://www.keighleycartradecentre.co.uk/keighley.htm - hover your cursor over the Japanese flag.
One other point ...... he said he has two more imported VR4 Legnums arriving in March in case anyone wants to risk them.
I'll post again once I've got hold of a standard V6 or VR4.

Spirit
06-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Good luck in your search - it was good to talk to you this morning and I hope I was of some assistance, and that my enthusiasm for the VR4 came across :-D

If you want anymore pointers feel free to give me a call anytime.

nick-f1
06-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Physician, Hi am just buying a vr4 legnum myself and Iknow where there is another one for sale. I looked at it last saturday, its black, tiptronic, 98 model, 63 ks with black/red interior. Its at southamton, Global- group20 cars. Its really clean inside but looks a bit rough outside but this is because it still has the waxy coating on. Check it out at www.import-japanese-cars.com or search group20 cars on google if yr interested. It was abit too expensive for me at 10 grand.
Cheers
Nick :laugh:

Physician
07-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Good luck in your search - it was good to talk to you this morning and I hope I was of some assistance, and that my enthusiasm for the VR4 came across :-D

If you want anymore pointers feel free to give me a call anytime.
Spirit,
That was really good of you to give me your telephone number and answer my questions buddy.
Your enthusiasm certainly did come across but importantly for me I learned a load of very useful info to help me when looking for the right car.
I've little doubt we'll talk again sometime and I hope to be able to show you MY VR4 at some Meet in the near future.
Dick

Physician
07-03-2004, 05:16 PM
...........Check it out at www.import-japanese-cars.com or search group20 cars on google if yr interested. It was abit too expensive for me at 10 grand.
Cheers
Nick :laugh:

Thanks for that info Nick ....... I've made ONE decision now .... I'll be going for the saloon VR4 rather than a Legnum.

Dick

KiwiTT
07-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Like me. I prefer the Sedan too. I think of it as a "Sports Saloon".

CplJellyfish
07-03-2004, 11:39 PM
but what is the difference between the standard V6 and V6 Sport?

When I got my V6, in 2000, (it's the saloon, with tan leather interior) the V6-Sport was being advertised in the dealers, but wasn't actually available for another 6 months. This was back in April of 2000. When I asked what the differences were between the V6 and the Sport, I was told it was simply the styling - exterior and interior, but that there was no other difference. In hindsight, the 17" alloys look far better than the 15s I have, but I simply HAD to have a Galant RIGHT THEN at that point - any model, so I went for the V6 that was available then and there.

I still get a couple of jealous twinges when I see V6 Sports , but even more when I see a VR4 ;)

After 4 years, I am still very happy with my V6, and have even managed to persuade my wife to get a 2.0 Classic Estate model - the 2002 model with Sport styling ;)