PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light

Nick Mann
25-02-2004, 02:45 PM
I was driving home last night, threading my way through the traffic when a noise like a fan started up. I assumed it was someone else, or on the radio, until about three seconds later when the battery light started flickering! Being in the outside lane of slow moving traffic, I was waggling the steering to check the PAS (I think the belt for the alternator also does the PAS) and looking at how to pull over to check, when the fan noise stopped and the battery light went back off.

Ideas??

Spirit
25-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Could it indicate the belt was slipping and therefore the battery was not being charged properly ? To be safe would check tension/quality of the belt and change it asap if not sure it is 100%

Nick Mann
25-02-2004, 11:48 PM
It could be.... The belt has just been changed (£80 less than 1k ago!) so if that's the problem then the dealer will get a poke in the eye! The wierd thing was the 'fan' sound at the same time? At the weekend I will have a look in the daylight and see what I can spot.

zedy1
25-02-2004, 11:59 PM
pas belt runs power steering pump and ac pump. no light indication
fan belt. runs alternator only

could be the belt loose, or the alternator has had its days

Nick Mann
28-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Looks like you were right, Mo. :( Driving back home last night the battery light came on again. Listened for the fan noise, but couldn't hear it. Got on to the drive and realised that turning the lights off caused the battery light to go out. Tried a few things and anything that needs lots of current lit the battery light. Parked it up, went out this morning to check the belt - it appears to be in good condition with plenty of tension. Thought I'd better take it to the dealer, so put it in the garage to put the cat back on (not sure how the de-cat would affect the warranty) and that is where it still is. Not enough power in the battery to start it - even with a jump. I guess the alternator has lost a diode and I happened to park it in the garage in the exact position to drain the battery through the dodgy diode.

Mitsubishi are phoning back in a minute to tell me what they intend to do.

I was thinking about joining the 'Pod convoy tomorrow - I guess that is out of the question now. :undecided

Nick Mann
28-02-2004, 08:00 PM
The mechanic turned up earlier - he has confirmed it is a dodgy alternator. He said it could be a sticky brush? Anyway, the car is now at the dealers. Nothing they can do 'til next week, so no Pod for me. The alternator is covered by the warranty though, so at least it should be a free solution.

Spirit
28-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Thats good news Nick. Any chance when you pick it up you could get the part number and price of the alternator for the parts section once Barry sets it up ;)

Nick Mann
28-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Will do my best!

Nick Mann
08-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Finally picked it up this morning. Sorry, Pete, no part numbers/costs yet - the guy wasn't there this morning when I collected the car.

Pleased with the service, annoyed with how long it took. Guess that is the price of having a unique car. They phoned me on thursday to say I wouldn't have the car back before the weekend (we went to London, so wanted it by then) as the job was much bigger than they originally thought. He told me they had to phone HQ to get the procedure to change the alternator! :thinking:

It turns out that there is not enough clearance to get the alternator out past the associated bits, so Mitsy HQ told them to remove the transfer box!

:wtf:

He said it took so long that the warranty price for the job doesn't cover the labour!
Glad to have it back now though. :-D

zedy1
09-03-2004, 02:00 AM
Finally picked it up this morning. Sorry, Pete, no part numbers/costs yet - the guy wasn't there this morning when I collected the car.

Pleased with the service, annoyed with how long it took. Guess that is the price of having a unique car. They phoned me on thursday to say I wouldn't have the car back before the weekend (we went to London, so wanted it by then) as the job was much bigger than they originally thought. He told me they had to phone HQ to get the procedure to change the alternator! :thinking:

It turns out that there is not enough clearance to get the alternator out past the associated bits, so Mitsy HQ told them to remove the transfer box!

:wtf:

He said it took so long that the warranty price for the job doesn't cover the labour!
Glad to have it back now though. :-D

only takes about 2/3 hours to cange alternator. took me only two days to change barrys full engine

Kieran
09-03-2004, 01:57 PM
I reckon Mo should apply for a post at Mitsubishi UK... With such an intimate knowledge of the VR-4, they'd be mad to turn him down! :-D