PDA

View Full Version : Another Gearbox Leak

frankoni
12-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi, firstly hi to everyone on the VR-4 forum. I've just bought a 97 Legnum VR-4, its a lovely motor but does come with a gearbox problem! (auto)
The old owner was driving on the motorway when he lost all drive, the rac were called only to be given the news that the gearbox had lost all its transmission fluid.He took the car to a local garage who robbed him of 670 quid and still didnt rectifie the problem!! hence i am the new proud owner.
Gearbox topped up with transmission fluid i drove the car to a local garage to get it checked, the oil seems to be all over the bottom of the transmission but the guy seems to think that it is coming from where the prop slots into the rear of the box. Is this a common seal to go or is it more lightly to be the seal behind the torque converter in the bellhousing, meaning a gearbox out job???
How easy is it to remove the auto box in one of these motors and has anybody got any info on how to do it??

Cheers

Frank

SGHOM
12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
It's deffo the torque seal...... they all go. It's the achillies heel of the VR4. £10 for the seal.... but a pain in the butt to change /Grrr

frankoni
12-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Is this seal known as the ATF seal on the auto box??

SGHOM
12-05-2008, 07:56 PM
torque converter seal kit you need..... dealers have them in stock..... lots of them !! :thinking:
Allow a couple of days to do it, If it's a DIY jobby. /Grrr

SGHOM
12-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Take a looksy here

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11906

frankoni
12-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Has anyone got a step by step guide to removing the box or do Haynes cover this model ?? Also would i require any special tools for the job ?? (what am i getting myself into ???????????)

Gly
12-05-2008, 08:35 PM
its in the members articals,
well worth the club joining fee

Kieran
12-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Has anyone got a step by step guide to removing the box or do Haynes cover this model ?? Also would i require any special tools for the job ?? (what am i getting myself into ???????????)

There's a full guide in the member's area (Membership is £20/yr).

No special tools required, provided you've got a good selection of metric sockets and extension bars. Oh, and an engine crane!

Basic (very basic, as I've only ever assisted with one, never done my own!!) is as follows:

Up on stands
Downipes off
Driveshafts off
Centre crossmember off
Gearbox mount off (so airbox and all that malarky off too!)
Errr.... Transfer box off (I think!)
Unbolt gearbox, drop out from underneath car (beware, the gearbox weights roughly the same as one of those ACME 10 Ton weights!!).

Overall it's a pain in the bum. It takes 10 mins to replace the seal and when a group of us DIYed it on Nick's car, it took the weekend to do it (okay, that was with a lot of faffing about and mucking around though).

SGHOM
12-05-2008, 08:44 PM
just to add.... propshaft off, engine mounts off, fingers off /Grrr /pan

frankoni
16-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I've spoken to a few small garages around this area about replacing this seal but nobody wants to take the job on!!!!!!!!!! So i've decided that i'll have a go myself.

When i remove the gearbox are there any other seals/gaskets that you would reccomend replacing while the box is out??

Fred
17-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Rear Main.

frankoni
17-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Is that where the prop goes in ?
Also what type of ATF do mitsubishi recommend for these boxes??

Subaru ETA
17-05-2008, 10:53 PM
rear main is on the back of the engine.

why wouldnt anyone do the job?? they a bunch of panseys or something??

Mitsubishi Diamond SPIII i think is the name of the fluid you need

frankoni
17-05-2008, 11:23 PM
rear main is on the back of the engine.

why wouldnt anyone do the job?? they a bunch of panseys or something??

Mitsubishi Diamond SPIII i think is the name of the fluid you need

They all seemed horrified when i told them what car it was................./Grrr

d3x
19-05-2008, 12:32 PM
are there no mitsi garages in your area? As long as they are ralliart you'll be ok..

Davezj
19-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Here is one for you.

i have a auto box leak. couldn't find where it was coming from.

so i cleaned auto box underneath with petrol and just found it dribbling down the front of the auto box.

it was coming from the dipstick/fill tube. where it goes into the top of the Auto box.

the tube feels a bit loose. is this a press fit or should this be a never come out piece, from the top of the auto box.

all comment welcome.

Nutter_John
19-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Frankoni where are you based as we would take the work on no problem , drop me a PM

thecustomer
20-05-2008, 08:16 AM
...which means you're near Eurospec (http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/Mitsubishi/Galant/)

They're well known & won't run away from a VR4 :afro: