PDA

View Full Version : When to replace flywheel?

Roberto
18-05-2008, 01:19 PM
As the header suggests.

I am heading for a clutch replacement, but thinking now that I should get the flywheel replaced at the same time.

Am I right in thinking there should be little extra labour to get this done?

Also is it worth while doing it?
Car has nearly 120k miles, this clutch has lasted about 60k in the last 4 years, replaced just before I bought the car.

The question then is what to replace it with, standard or lightened, taking in a very tight budget.
A Helix clutch is likely.

Nutter_John
18-05-2008, 01:58 PM
after 120k i would replace it , get a lightened one from RHD and if you want a strong but still drivable clutch the helix is a good choice

Roberto
18-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks John, that's the way I was thinking.

RHD now only list one, flywheel and its as a complete clutch kit.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/product_detail_new.php#

Is this kit complete with everything I would need, and hense negate the need for the Helix clutch.

And has anyone fitted one, what's it like?

Nutter_John
18-05-2008, 03:38 PM
not looked but it will be the puck based one which is an absolute ***** to drive in a normal way , it is very on or off

Drop them an email and ask for the price of a pro shop lida flywheel on it's own they should sell it seperatly

Roberto
18-05-2008, 03:54 PM
The question has been asked, I post thier reply.

But the price for the whole kit is looking good to me.

Subaru ETA
18-05-2008, 11:35 PM
i prob wouldnt bother changine it if you are on a tight budget. unless of cause it is actually knackard

Nick Mann
19-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Many suppliers remove clutch warranties if the clutch is fitted to a used flywheel.

I'm not saying don't do it, but certainly think. If my discs are not too worn, I put new pads on them. If they are worn I put new discs on too. The clutch is basically the same thing.

Let me know what RHD say about options - I am close to having to buy stuff too!

pitslayer
20-05-2008, 08:50 AM
could you just not get yours lightened and balanced?

Roberto
20-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Pits, I would say not a hope in this country, engineering firms here just don't seem to want ot do any of that type of work anymore.

But I will put the feelers out on an Irish forem to see if anbody has had any success, but I can't be without the car for long, so if it went bad I would be screwed.

Nutter_John
20-05-2008, 12:16 PM
The stock unit is not worth trying to lighten , you could have it skimeed and re-use it but thats about it

CJay
20-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Pits, I would say not a hope in this country, engineering firms here just don't seem to want ot do any of that type of work anymore.

Roberto, try these guys, they should also be able to help you out with the brake disks:

Gala Engineering
The Bush
Dunshaughlin
Co. Meath
T (01)8259626

CJ

Roberto
20-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for that CJ, might take a run out to them this week.

See what they think and see what they are like.

pitslayer
21-05-2008, 02:11 PM
The stock unit is not worth trying to lighten , you could have it skimeed and re-use it but thats about it
dont mean to be rude john, but explain why there is no point lightening the stock one? is it to heavy to start with and the lightening could weaken it or just cost loads to getit that low

Roberto
22-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks again CJ,
dropped into Mark in Gala today.
He has no problem doing them, will skim and resurface the break disks for €20 each.

Thats another thing sorted then......:iloveyou:

So many more to go./Grrr