PDA

View Full Version : rear-end turbo charging ? check this!

rees
18-05-2008, 04:24 PM
this i was talkin about at japfest to pete kieran and maybe nutter john , what do we think i think it could be the way forward what ya think ??

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2601848622981244421&q=Fidanza+C6+on+Horsepower+TV&ei=vUgwSOP3EpSGrQK-ipWHCg

Paul Beazer
18-05-2008, 09:21 PM
I think has been done with an M3 before.....

SGHOM
18-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I dont remember seeing that on blue peter ? /Grrr /pan /pan

Davezj
18-05-2008, 10:45 PM
an interesting video.

this seems to be a typical american take on something they know nothing about.

It is a case of here's a kit bolt it on it's that simple.
They don't tell you that the kit will probaly cost $20,000 and was delevoped by a british company over a period of 5 years. They make it sound as if they thought and developed the Kit whilst sat on te bog sending one of there massive sausages to te sea side, which in there case would probabley sink a conainer ship, Bermuda triangle read big Sh*t.

STS how is this company seem interesting.

As you can tell i am pro american, i now work for the big american parent company and they stick there noise in and mess things up, and then pull out and let you put thing back together the way they were before they put they 2 cents in.

rees
19-05-2008, 09:56 PM
is that it?! is that all everyone got to comment on this ?:speechles

when i read this i was excited in thinking that it would be the answer to alot of the vr4's problems, surely this thread deserves more activity? no ?

i thought it was pertenant to our problems faced when upgrading(< that word )
-clears space
-heat reduced in engine bay
-manifold and other custom fittings would be easier ??
isnt this good ? no?

just me then:coat

Nutter_John
19-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok this has been done on a large bore BMW and it worked as it was a 5 litre block pushing 400 bhp already ,

The issue is that it would be lag city and be quite a poor performance mod , you see the heat from the manifold helps to generate the huge power of the turbo , move the turbo to the mid /end section of the exhaust and there will be very little heat . As for the lag well all you would end up with nearly two full car lenghts of inlet tubing and the pressure drop would be quite high

SGHOM
19-05-2008, 10:01 PM
you got deep pockets ?? very deep :speechles

bernmc
19-05-2008, 10:08 PM
yee haw! Very clever kit with well-thought out design eh. Looks so easy to fit.

Don't see why you couldn't do it on the VR4, but the R&D costs are likely to be pretty scary. And of course, the vette is pretty much a plastic kit car...;)

SGHOM
19-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I think has been done with an M3 before.....

It's the M5 that has the rear turbo's . . quick car, but at a cost.

rees
20-05-2008, 09:50 AM
ah seen , so cost ,heat and lag, i didnt know it was the heat that helped with the power:speechles
well that clears that up then , thanks john , btw you spoke to that bloke who could sort me an AYC ecu ?

also what was the name of that exhaust place again ?, cheers dude/notworthy

joe d
20-05-2008, 12:03 PM
looks interesting but as said would be very expencive. good find

pitslayer
20-05-2008, 02:44 PM
im sure i had a discussion with someone on this before, and i feel its pointless.
you would have to be running such high boost through the turbo(s) for it to reach the engine and do anything considerable. then you would have all the piping work running along the car, the lag would be horrible. would be better off mounting diddy turbos in the engine bay somewhere.

SGHOM
20-05-2008, 02:56 PM
would be better off mounting diddy turbos in the engine bay somewhere.

mitsubishi did. take a look under the bonnet [ thats at the front FYI ] instead of just polishing the bl00dy thing !! /pan /pan :iloveyou:

pitslayer
20-05-2008, 04:45 PM
the bonnet.....what shiney panel is that, you say at the front but where, there is a few panels at the front? and how would i look under this "bonnet" /pan

bigbadjohn
20-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I like this, very exiting !!!

I have a V6 twin 2.0ltr VR4 and this would if it could be done solve my problems of bigger tutrbo for the car :-) iam surprised that this thread has not caused more exitment, this could put all twin V6 up to 600BHP no sweat :-)

Love it and going to see my welder ! lol

John

bigbadjohn
20-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Missed a post from someone, this could mean 1 larger turbo, ummm i like this very much.

Call me stupid but were else can i put a big garret in my cramped VR4 twin turbo.

Mapping is the problem i think.

Turbo_Steve
20-05-2008, 07:37 PM
As has been proven by many people on here, for the amount of work involved, you might as well just plop new manifolds on with TD04's / 05s fitted, which will see you upto and possibly past the maximum that the standard internals have been taken to reliably on here.

And, if you really want that big single, Gly has manged to achieve that as well.

Nothing wrong with putting the turbos at the back. It's hugely expensive, but it does work!
Pressure drop of the compressed air really isn't that much of a big deal. In fact, given some of the inlet plumbing I've seen on turbo'd cars, I don't think it's that significant.

As has been correctly suggested, however, the length of the piperwork between the manifold and the turbos IS important.

Both cars discussed here have fairly high displacements for a road car: 4.0L for the M5 and 5.0L for the dodge (I think?) so are producing shedloads of gas to fill up those pipes quickly and get on boost.

The little 2.5 lump we run needs smaller pipes to the back to make it worthwhile (bear in mind we're talking about a pair of 1.2L engines with individual turbos) and once the pipes are smaller, they aren't going to flow enough to make decent power.......unless:

You run a single pipe to the back of the car for a big-un turbo. This pipe will have to be carefully sized to minimise lag whilst allowing for suifficient maximum flow for the turbo.

Once the turbo is up to pressure, a FRONT mounted wastegate opens to control boost.

You're still stuck with carefully sizing the front-to-back pipe, but at least you're no longer concerned with it's peak flow rate ABOVE the target CFM for the turbo.

Maths maths maths maths maths. And some serious money. It's just not worth the effort: It's be easier to raise our engine in the bay and make a custom bonnet LOL