PDA

View Full Version : Warm air box...

bradc
19-05-2008, 07:29 AM
I moved my external temp sensor to the air box, it is between the two holes you see in the pic, just beneath the air filter where the stock battery location is. My air box is mostly sealed from the engine bay, there is a 3mm gap at the top of it with the fuse box, but I thought it was fairly good.

I went for a drive today through about 15km of normal urban streets with quite a few traffic lights and I noticed the external temp went up to 38C. I took this photo at 36C but didn't manage to get one at 38C, the car was moving then.

It stayed at about that temperature until I got onto the motorway, it took about 10km to drop down to 37C from 38C, then it quickly dropped down to 28C over about 2km, and eventually down to 24C, at this point the actual ambient was around 19C

On my trip down to Whakatane this weekend it was at 13C at the top of the bombay's after sitting still for 10 minutes while I was getting petrol and a drink, and slowly came down to 5C over the next 20km or so, I think Ryan's car was measuring around 5C at the start and down to about 4C at one point?

On the way back today it got up to 20C, but the ambient was hotter, probably about 15C or so.

It is a bit concering it went up so quickly around town and took so long to cool down, the engine bay temp is obviously affecting it. I think I will try and double wall it with some polystyrene as a filler and see what happens, hopefully it will insulate it better.

Subaru ETA
19-05-2008, 08:00 AM
a dude that used to work with me was hard into hondas. he was on ACC and had nothing to do, so decided to make a cold air box. he fond that making it out of wood was the best wasy of keeping it cool. it look rangi but hey - it was only a honda :p

bradc
19-05-2008, 08:09 AM
not keen on that!

Subaru ETA
19-05-2008, 08:13 AM
o come on brad, just paint it silver and it wont look out of place! :p

CANDEE
19-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Hmm interesting :P

Nice japanese MMCS there :P Werent you supposed to send me some discs so I could send you a copy of the english disc?? ;P

Also does you mmcs dimm off the dimmer for the dash dials?

bradc
19-05-2008, 08:34 AM
yeah never got around to that! PM me your address again!

My mmcs dim's when I turn the lights on, but that is it.

Physician
19-05-2008, 08:53 AM
That's fascinating info Brad. Putting insulation at various locations may start us all lagging our engine bays depending on your research.

bradc
19-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Remember my aluminium flaps at the sides of the intercooler? I'm going to try the same thing at some point without the flaps and see if the inlet air temp drops faster when I move out onto the motorway

CJay
19-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I moved my external temp sensor to the air box, it is between the two holes you see in the pic, just beneath the air filter where the stock battery location is.

Excellent idea Brad, finally, a use for the external temp sensor!

Am I to understand that the stock sensor location is in the second pic? I would be very interested in undertaking this mod - I miss the air temp readout on the Apexi Power FC in my old RX-7 (on a related note, I regularly saw intake temps above 60 deg C with on a Blitz SUS intake on the stock IC!)

Did you relocate the sensor before or after the MAF on the intake?

CJ

bradc
19-05-2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31395&highlight=external+temp

That is the stock location. I basically ripped it out of there and tape it up to where those two holes are in my battery tray. The sensor is right next to the air filter, so it would be before the maf in a normal setup, but I don't have a MAF!

This is the setup http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1584

djb160
19-05-2008, 11:53 PM
So what sort of insulation are you going to try? Any ideas? Wouldn't a thick plastic box insulate well (besides costing lots that is)

bradc
20-05-2008, 03:22 AM
polystyrene first of all

Turbo_Steve
20-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I'd start by covering the box in tin-foil: shiny side out. should eliminate a lot of heatsoak. Works well on race cars. Also, (on mobile so hard to see) but it looks like your airbox is breathing in from the engine bay?

bradc
20-05-2008, 09:10 AM
It is taking air in from the space between the wheel arch and the front fog light, so the air coming from the radiator would be aimed at it.