PDA

View Full Version : Isle Of Man Drag Racing Weekend

Nick Mann
28-02-2004, 08:28 PM
Right. Due to the length of the original thread on this event I am starting a new one......

This event is hosted by the IOM tourist board and the travel and accomodation is being sorted by Magic Holidays.

It takes place on Sat 19th and Sun 20th June 2004.

I intend to go out on friday and return late on sunday, as my floating holidays are very limiting. This is not required, though, you can stay pretty much as long as you like, but the hotel price goes up by £30-50 per night.

Costs are:

2 nights cost between £110 and £142 per person (based on 2 sharing) depending on standard of hotel BUT it is an extra £69 to take the car on the ferry. (First price is as foot passengers.)

Therefore the cost is between £290 and £350. More than was previously stated.

The other thing to remember is that the cheap hotels do not have car parks. Douglas is a seaside town and does not have abundant easy parking, especially near the hotels which are often on the sea front.

There are several things I now need to know:

1, Are you coming?
2, Cheap, Mid or Expensive Hotel?
3, How many nights?

The rest I can organise as we go along. Money will be required BEFORE booking and this will be during April, so the deadline for stating interest will be the end of March. On April 1st this thread will close and PM's will arrive in your inbox to hassle you for money!!

I look forward to seeing you there.

Nick Mann
28-02-2004, 08:29 PM
List of attendees: (Lifted from the previous thread!)

1: BraindG
2: Brind
3: Pudd
4: Lomy
5: Nick Mann
6: Bigdaveackers
7: Scottish Ian

Roadrunner
28-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Nick,

You don't have the latest list - I had to withdraw (oo er missus ;) ) as I'll now be in Italy that weekend.

Brian

SGHOM
28-02-2004, 11:24 PM
& I'm pulling out as well !! [ ooh err mrs !! ] It's my 28th !! :$ birthday on the 19th, & getting a bit of grief from mrs [ I hate your car ] interlec. sorry. :huh:

Nick Mann
29-02-2004, 12:11 AM
Edited.

Sorry to see you go, guys. Are the numbers going to go up or down?

Spirit
29-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Nick, can you find our if there are any problems boarding/unboarding lowered cars. Would hate to pay out all that money just to find I can't get the car on the ferry !

Also do the above prices include the cost of the events or do we have to pay more on arrival ? And you titled the thread "Drag Racing Weekend" - thought we could drive the TT course on both days or TT Saturday and Drag Sunday ?

Spirit
29-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Another daft question probably, but they do sell superunleaded out there too right ?

Nick Mann
29-02-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty sure that the lowered cars will be alright on the Heysham crossing - not sure about the Liverpool. I will double check. I will phone friends on the island to check about fuel.... There is not a Shell station there, though! :(

Nick Mann
29-02-2004, 04:24 PM
I am under the impression that the TT course will be normal public roads for the weekend - any driving of the circuit is organised by ourselves and subject to usual speed limits. (The de-limit sign on the island does mean de-limit though!) I am trying to find out more, but the tourist board who are supposedly organising the event are not being particularly helpful. I have sent a few more e-mails out, and we'll see what I get back. I was also under the impression that Jurby airfield would involve track times/racing. It is actually going to be drag racing only. Again, e-mails are out there waiting for a reply to find out how much, what is involved etc.

Spirit
29-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Sorry but if it is simply drag racing then I will not be attending - for the price involved for hotel,ferry and fuel etc I reckon it will be £600 for me !

Nick Mann
29-02-2004, 06:44 PM
I have to be honest - I think I could organise this weekend for less if we went a little out of season. As it clashes with the two day Jap Fest at the Pod, I am starting to think an overnight camp at Santa Pod would be a better bet for this weekend. I have e-mailed the organisers of Santa Pod to double check the details for that.

Spirit
29-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Or as Kieran said just book the Ibis we stayed at last October - was about £35 and we have a nice bar we can sit at all night :-D

Kieran
01-03-2004, 08:23 AM
I have to be honest - I think I could organise this weekend for less if we went a little out of season. As it clashes with the two day Jap Fest at the Pod, I am starting to think an overnight camp at Santa Pod would be a better bet for this weekend. I have e-mailed the organisers of Santa Pod to double check the details for that.

I fully agree with Nick. I think we could better cater 'for the masses' if we did POD instead, then did the IOM when people can afford to do so! :)

pjjohnson
01-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Sorry Nick, at that sort of money I won't be doing it either - probably spend some dosh on some of that 106 octane fuel and a trip to Santa Pod.

SGHOM
01-03-2004, 12:43 PM
probably spend some dosh on some of that 106 octane fuel and a trip to Santa Pod. :lolz: you know it makes sense !!! :-D :-D

Simon
01-03-2004, 02:10 PM
.....Lets do the 2 day event at the Pod.........it all comes down to cost...im definate (going on last years 1 day event) that we will have more fun and more time to chat(drink) ;)

Nick Mann
01-03-2004, 02:36 PM
PJ and Simon - you have been removed from the list. I am leaning very heavily towards Santa Pod myself, and I'm supposed to be getting everyone motivated for the IOM! I have written plenty of e-mails over the weekend, including one to Santa Pod, so I'll wait to see the replys from those.

enigma
01-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Barry has previously hinted that the Santa Pod Japshow may well be cancelled......????

However, if we are leaning en mass to the POD....well I guess I will too.

It is worth remembering that if the IOM is just drag racing, then they wont run if it is wet.................£600 in the toilet!

Spirit
01-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I think what Barry mean't was that Japanese Performance Magazine were pulling out of sponsoring the June Pod weekend as they are now sponsoring TOTB III as well as the October Pod event.

This has really been confirmed now as I have had two mailshots in the last week or two from Santa Pod and the June weekend is now called Jap Show and is in both glossy brochures they sent me (also has a little add for Banzai Magazine on it to now lol). So it's a definate go'er as they are selling advance tickets for it. I posted prices before as follows:

Advance Tickets: Saturday £9, Sunday £9 or weekend £20 (more ???)
Gate Tickets: Saturday £12, Sunday £12 or weekend £25
Track Fee: £12 for 3 runs

I reckon fuel up and back, plus 106 octane there and a night in hotel plus food/beer money AND 12 runs at Pod will total no more than £200 - £250 for the whole weekend :-D :-D :-D - take me off the IOM trip too please Nick !

The October Japanese Performance Show (sponsored by the magazine) is confirmed as Sunday 10th October as well.

Kieran
01-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Looks like the Santa Pod's back on then! Jolly good!! :-D :thumbsup:

Spirit
01-03-2004, 06:01 PM
Yeah sorry Nick - how about starting a new Pod weekend thread ? (the frustrations of organising a trip lol)

Nick Mann
01-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Okey Dokey.

Just to confirm - I have had a reply from Trevor at Straightliners (The name kinda gives the type of racing away, don't it?!) to say that prices start at £170 PER PERSON.

So well over £300 per coupe, plus fuel bills etc. I am going to the IOM just after easter, so will try and get info on organising something else then.

I guess we ought to close this thread and open the POD WEEKEND thread instead!