PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil at Spa

amsoil
20-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Just got back from the kittys 1st run having burned the midnight oil for the last 2 months.
Spa might not have been the best place to have a shake down but thats the way it ended up racing agains Nissans Porsches and Merc Turbo. The car was only just finished in time with some of the paint still a little soft and too shoft to rub the odd run out of.
Practice was good with the new pads being run in and the feel of the newly completed car got to grips with. Tyres where older than i would have liked but I was not happy to chuck 4K worth of rubber because it was a little too long in the tooth. The engine was as super as ever and I was slow for the 1st 3 laps before making a decision to go for it as I hadn't raced for 4 years either. Eau rouge flat was a terrifying buzz as I had totally forgotten that you should go straight over the top corner apex and straighten the corner out. Muggsy drove around it flat having kittens as it got very near to the edge of existance. Still all was well.
First race was was in the very worst coditions, neither wet nor dry. I went for slicks and cursed as it rained on the warm up lap. Half the field seemed to dive straight into the pits on the 1st lap (for wets no doubts) I continued knowing that rolling the dice in this way could give a super result against much newer machinary. I carefully circulated even overtaking 962's and got the hang of things until about lap 7 when I passed the pits to the hair pin to brake; there was a crack and the car twitched sideways. Round the hairpin and dived down to eau rouge but something told me to go a bit easy. Over the top and away down the striaght but not 10/10ths. Just as well as I touched the braked there was an enourmous bag and the back of the car locked launching me into a spin at slower 160 odd (could have been 190!) As a complete passenger I watched the armco come and go wondering if this was going to be really bad. I then tried to steer from full lock to full lock just to make a little difference in the route the car was taking towards the armco > Perhaps it made a difference? The back of the car and the rear wing kissed the armco a couple of times before I came to rest at 90 degrees to the end of the straight. Out i jumped from this bad place to be and from the side saw that the back of the body work had been broken at the rear wheel arch and the rear wing damaged and the wing mounts twisted. BolloXX.
Back to the pist on the flat bed to find out why.
It looked like one of the caliper lugs had failed and the caliper had swung out under braking to lodge in the wheel locking it up. Upright totaled bodywork very sorry for itself.
Lucky I had a spare pair of rear uprights fully assembled and some aviation super glue for the body work. 2 hours later and it was all done and the next day the adhesive would have hardened. Blagged atig welder to repair some broken ally components and we where there for the 1 1/2 race the next day.
But thats as they say another story. /pan

richy rich
20-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Dloody hell Don you just get her back on track and you have a go at killing her again./pan

Good to see you came out unscathed.

peter thomson
20-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Bloody hell that must have been a bit scary. Glad to hear you are Ok

amsoil
20-05-2008, 10:23 PM
It was actually a great weekend. We got a finish in the endurance race but where robbed of a trophy because of class screw ups. Heres the pics http://www.groupcracing.com/meets/14

bradc
20-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun, pity about the car though, any pics of the damage?

Kieran
20-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Wow! Sounds like a hell of an adventure, and glad that the damage to the pussycat wasn't terminal!

I bet there's not an ardrenaline rush like it!!

psbarham
20-05-2008, 11:23 PM
hey good result mate, i bet it was such a great feeling to be back at the wheel again and being competitive with it, good work mate, you'd better not break it at silverstone though, i want to see you wup mr laws (senior) ass :pimp2:

amsoil
27-05-2008, 03:48 AM
Part 2 /
The car was quickly repaired and the super blue adhesive (super expensive) cued over night. The Sunday 1 1/2 hour endurance race with refueling was all ready to go. Competition was enormous. My driver David started with brimed tanks, driving the bomb as I call it. The 'soft' tuning on the engine was such that I actually thought that we might be able to do the race without stopping but this was compulsory unfortunately. We filled the car as we just wanted to see how far she might go. David was under instructions and if all went well we would call him in on the hour.
He started well and was soon cracking in lap times of 2.32, this was a little unnearving as it was 3 seconds faster than my best at Spa and he was running full tanks ie 100Kg more than I did then. The car looked and sounded magnificent and he was really in the thick of it raising more than a few eyebrows. He spun it a couple of times but still all was good untill suddenly at 45 minutes he was in the pits. A quick check with him and he reported the car started missing and he had switched onto reserve! This suddenly became a major problem; we had 50 Litres of fuel waiting with another 20 in a can but the car had apparently drunk 125L in 45 minutes with another 45 still to go. The 50 L went straight in and time was wasted filling one of the dump tanks from the gerry can before trying to put this too into the car. But no it now overfilled into the breather bottle she was full to the brim and I would be racing heavy. What was worse was that it quickly became clear that the misfireing had been caused by low fuel pressure ; one of the pumps must have failed. Switching onto the reserve pump was the only way to go but this ment that full throttle couldn't be used without danger of burning the pistons, Not only was I to be heavy but also hamstrung. But off I went, the track was good but slipery in parts from oil. She handled beautifully and I did try to push through the corners to make up but this took its toll on the front tyres after a few laps. A couple of moments soon showed me that I was trying too hard before I had a box of neutrals and discovered I could now only get 4th and 5th gear. So cut cut a long story short I nursed the car home to 13th overall from a 19th grid from 29. Not too bad for a 1st run in years and a good shake down before next months little race at the 24Hr Le Mans

Paul Beazer
27-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Way to go Don, glad you're on here telling us about it!!!
And now for the second race report!

bradc
27-05-2008, 08:10 PM
2:32 is a quick time, that car must have some power!

amsoil
28-05-2008, 09:45 PM
2:32 is a quick time, that car must have some power!

Yes its a good time for the car but was also done carrying over 100Kg extra as the car had a full fuel tank. I would think that this means the car is easily good for sub 2.30 and with a good driver (being honest that excludes us) perhaps sub 2.25. Power is 601 bhp , musn;t forget the extra 1!
Not bad for a car running the very 1st ECU, Lucas Micos No 1

amsoil
06-06-2008, 02:43 AM
We will be at Le Mans next week and racing in the morning of the Le Mans 24Hrs start.
Exclusive to Club VR4 is that the 1st club member to find / visit us gets one of our team shirts and a chance to sit in the old girl herself! Even if you are not the first don't be afraid to say hi.

psbarham
06-06-2008, 06:51 AM
i'm working :( but i shall keep an eye out on sky for you, they normally show the prereace enertainment, mind you now i've said that they will show bugger all this year

amsoil
18-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Well guess I get to keep the extra shirt as I saw no VR4 members at Le Mans!
We had a spectacular experience racing there especially my qualifying in the rain on slicks. The race went about to plan except the bit at the end. I shall be going back to maths class having run out of fuel and failing to get the reserve pump to work. Stopping by the finishing line and waiting for 5 minutes until the lead car took the flag and using the starter motor to get the old girl over the line got us a finish in the best Le Mans tradition.
Next race Silverstone in a months time.

Wodjno
18-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Well guess I get to keep the extra shirt as I saw no VR4 members at Le Mans!
We had a spectacular experience racing there especially my qualifying in the rain on slicks. The race went about to plan except the bit at the end. I shall be going back to maths class having run out of fuel and failing to get the reserve pump to work. Stopping by the finishing line and waiting for 5 minutes until the lead car took the flag and using the starter motor to get the old girl over the line got us a finish in the best Le Mans tradition.
Next race Silverstone in a months time.

He He.. Nice 1 Don /yes

Which position did u finish ? Are you saying that if u hadn't have ran out of fuel you would have had 1st ?

psbarham
18-06-2008, 07:59 PM
hey nice one mate, shame about the drink / maths problem though. what was it like giving her the berrys down the mulsanne?? i did see on eurosport that the sauber C1 did the fastest speed of the weekend, made them tractor things look a bit slow by all acounts /lol

i shall be at silverstone, will the T shirt offer still stand?

amsoil
18-06-2008, 09:29 PM
We finished about 20/22nd but certainly would not have won even our class even with correct fuel. We even stopped and changed driver so that both I and a friend could drive in the race. If we had not stopped and had ran well to the end we might just have challeged for 3rd in class (and maybe 15th overall). Remember that we are the oldest car and giviong away a decade against many.
The mulsane was awesome. It would have been nice to have had it resurfaced to remove the lorry ruts ..... they could chuck you all over the place. The only way of doing it was pedal to the metal and cling on! About 190 between the chicanes

He He.. Nice 1 Don /yes

Which position did u finish ? Are you saying that if u hadn't have ran out of fuel you would have had 1st ?

bradc
18-06-2008, 10:57 PM
It would have been so much better without the chicanes :) Stupid motorsport rules.

Don - now that the busy period has gone, lets get that remote oil thing sorted, can you pm me all your bank account details?