PDA

View Full Version : The Great Engine Swap

Gly
24-05-2008, 07:31 AM
well continuing on from here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31636)

almost finished, Stan's car today. (1hotvr4)

i was there from 9am till 5pm, left the rest of the guys doing there thing.

Gly
24-05-2008, 07:32 AM
couple more pic's

psbarham
24-05-2008, 07:52 AM
i love the first picture in the post above with the most critical tool of all, an FBH

or for the non mechanics out there, a fooking big hammer /lol

bradc
24-05-2008, 10:08 AM
You took more pics than I realised!

Richard is still here, crashing in GTR2, we've had a good time :)

Subaru ETA
24-05-2008, 10:19 AM
thats only a rubber one....mike isnt allowed real tools yet :p

dickytim
24-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I promise I will do some work tomorrow, if I am allowed out, I am in the dog box at the moment, something about letting Stacey know I was not in for dinner...

1hotvr4
24-05-2008, 04:51 PM
im coming back unday afternoon to do the electrical

bradc
24-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Cool, approx what time?

Gly
24-05-2008, 11:49 PM
did i leave a set of allan keys and my pola flease there??

bradc
25-05-2008, 12:03 AM
FOund the polar fleece, and idea where the allen keys are?

Gly
25-05-2008, 12:31 AM
under the car, by the exhaust,

in a blue box, mike used them?

bradc
25-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Yep, found them too :) I'll drop them off sometime this week and get the drive from you if you've finished with it?

Gly
25-05-2008, 01:22 AM
sweet as

1hotvr4
25-05-2008, 07:48 AM
myself and brad have managed to put the transfer case back on the gearbox as well as exhaust and under frame bit today, wasnt that dirty. Have pulled out the rocker cover and replaced the rubber for the middle cilinder, finds out that whatever is underneath the rocer cover is nice and tidy. Most of the electrical plugs are back in place, have more hoses to connectright now then electrical.Will come out sometime during the week to finish off as much as i can. Any idea on how the spark plug leads are positioned because i did not fit in the intake manifold due to not knowing which of the spark plug leads from the back cilinder connects to which in the front cilinder. As well just got like a couple of wiers that im not sure of original position of them.

Gly
25-05-2008, 08:42 AM
did you leave the leads pluged in at the front???
if so they only fit in one way.

if your still not done next weekend i can prob come help.

BuzzPuppy
25-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Lookin' good guys :)

Kudos to the FBH as well!

TAR
25-05-2008, 02:31 PM
You guys are all stars!

How good it is to see so much help offered to a member in need. It just goes to show that Club VR-4 is friendliest club on earth!!

Well done.

1hotvr4
25-05-2008, 04:50 PM
all the spark plug leads are out of the engine, need to know how to put them back on

mitchy
25-05-2008, 04:58 PM
standing at the front of the engine, looking at the cam belt covers, the pistons are 1 front left, 2 front right, 3 mid left, 4 mid right, 5 rear left, 6 rear right.

the leads go from 1/4, 2/5, 3/6.

bradc
25-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Mitchy, so you mean standing at the drivers side front wheel looking into the engine bay?

dickytim
25-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Hi Guy's,

I know I promised I would come around and do some work yesterday but I decided I would fall off my horse and damage my back a little to get out of it :P

The last thing I am able to do for a little while is work under the bonnet of a car.

Sorry about the inconvenient timing.

mitchy
26-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Mitchy, so you mean standing at the drivers side front wheel looking into the engine bay?

yeah

Gly
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
i have decide to delete these posts,

this is a personal matter between two partys,
not club-vr4 and its members,
who kindly helped out someone we had never meet before,
for pretty much free of charge. (we got a bung motor for spares)

if you have having an issue with the car, we cannot be held responsible,
nor accept any liability.

i recommend you contact Stan directly rather than venting on here.

end of story.

if you have an issue with this contact me or any other committee/admin/mod on these forums

these are this issues i noticed (know of)....

leaky turbo seals, dunno if there dead we didn't pull them apart
rear drivers side window motor faulty,
scratches on the fly wheel,
tired power steering pump,
empty Air-Con gas,

how you wish to pursue this is between you and Stan only,

only posts i will leave on here after this one are of other issues members may remember?
if they wish to add to add to my list.

mpau009
07-07-2008, 07:02 PM
looks like i missed some interesting posts :P Figured by the tone that might be the case..

I cant think of anything to add other than the bumper dent from getting it on the trailer, and the sparkplug rear seal which was swapped.

And Spunuts, welcome to the club.. if you decide to stick around i am sure there are plenty of members who will help sort your issues.

If you need a hand, or pointers in the direction of spares, let us know. Or send me a PM, ..and if you want to go for a single turbo or twin upgrade.. ;)

d i c k i e s
07-07-2008, 10:24 PM
i was reading this last night, unfortunately i missed the posts aswell. and too tired to reply
but from what i could gather, is that the buyer of 1hotvr4's leggie, the one where he made a deal for a galant signed up for the forums and saw this thread... and wasnt to happy, and is having issues?

Kenneth
07-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I have some doors which you can have a window unit from (Assuming they are all the same)

spunutz
08-07-2008, 01:35 AM
thanks guys, in shop at mo, sorry for the rude entrance into my first post not a good start but a winoow motor would be real good thanks and what do you think i would be looking at paying for a twin upgrade or is it better to cut the 2nd turbo right out and make it single?

Kenneth
08-07-2008, 02:18 AM
thanks guys, in shop at mo, sorry for the rude entrance into my first post not a good start but a winoow motor would be real good thanks and what do you think i would be looking at paying for a twin upgrade or is it better to cut the 2nd turbo right out and make it single?

You can pay as much as you want for turbo upgrades but the easiest and fastest thing to do is just to replace them with standard turbos.

Single conversion can be done but it isn't a quick job and unless you have access to a workshop and can do most of it yourself, it isn't going to be cheap either.

You are welcome to the window motor for free so long as you take the whole door (which is damaged) and you pick it up.

I also have other parts if necessary including a set of turbos which have done 100,000km and seem to be in excellent condition. (they look good and worked fine but I am no expert in assessing their actual mechanical condition)