PDA

View Full Version : VR-4 Intake & Exhaust System

MikeKey
24-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Since I got the VR-4 I've been reading up and trying to figure out where all those pipes under the hood go and why! It's always easier to get your head round something when it's in front of you, so I've done a diagram of how the stock intake/exhaust system is laid out the VR-4.

I figure it might be handy for anyone else wanting to know how everything's plumbed down there, so to speak! :inquisiti

If anyone has any corrections just let me know - hopefully I've got it right though!

Cheers!

Mike

bradc
24-05-2008, 10:50 AM
The BOV recirc point goes into the piping just before the front turbo, literally right next to it.

Could probably add in the O2 sensor and the cat in the exhaust setup as well. :)

GOOD post though, rep added

MPBVr4
24-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Good post mate. A nice, easy to understand, block diagram:2thumbsup

Davezj
24-05-2008, 12:27 PM
firstly it a good post.

But the "Y pipe" text should be on the output of compressor before it goes into the intercooler.

There are diagrams in various threads on here if you want to search on the subject.

the pic in this thread should help post 9

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22842&highlight=vacuum+pic

MikeKey
24-05-2008, 04:56 PM
But the "Y pipe" text should be on the output of compressor before it goes into the intercooler.http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22842&highlight=vacuum+pic

We have two Y pipes though, one big black ribbed one (ooh err!) going from the MAF to the two turbo compressor inlets, and one alloy one that joins the turbo compressor outlets back together again before going down to the intercooler.

I'll move the label, but it would be good to call the other pipe something if it has a name. I'll add labels for the downpipes and maybe add the cat while I'm at it!

I had a good look at that pic when I did the diagram by the way, it's also in the article about fitting an EBC. It was lots of help when it came to figuring out the little bits of plumbing!

Davezj
24-05-2008, 09:53 PM
hi again,
I was only trying to point out that if you refer to one of the turbo pipe as a "y pipe" i would think most people on this forum will asume you are talking about the one that runs over the top of the engine which goes into the inlet side of the intercooler.
Just so you don't confuse people, i am not trying to nit pick.

MikeKey
24-05-2008, 11:32 PM
...if you refer to one of the turbo pipe as a "y pipe" i would think most people on this forum will asume you are talking about the one that runs over the top of the engine which goes into the inlet side of the intercooler ... i am not trying to nit pick.

It's OK, didn't think you were nitpicking :) I'd just heard someone mention "Y pipe" in a post somewhere and assumed they meant the other one, so thanks for clearing that up.

OK, the PDF in the original post has been updated. I've moved the BOV recirc pipe attachment to the intake pipe just before the front turbo (cheers bradc!) and added the cat just before the exhaust. I removed the "Y pipe" label altogether in the end as it's pretty obvious both pipes are Y shaped anyway! /pan

I'll try and add labels for the O2 sensors, downpipes and other bits later.