PDA

View Full Version : Repowering a vr4...

Oggie
25-05-2008, 08:17 PM
hey guys beena while since i was last here, so much has happened in my life sorta kinda not really lol.

2 months ago some asshat reversed into my car as the supermarket leaving my from end pretty munted in. about 4.5k damage. tow bars are a nasty bit of work :(

anyways... now i finally got my car back. ( have a list of what was fixed/replaced ) I was wondering during the 6 weeks of waiting for my car to get fixed.

will a Mitsubishi GTO engine and gear box fit into a vr4? ( legnum shape ).

if so would it be worth the hassels? or is it better to spend said cash that would have brought the block and box plus fitting etc on the vr4?

if its better just spend the cash on the existing running gear what kind of performance gains would i get?

yeah i know unusual question for engine swap.

bradc
25-05-2008, 08:19 PM
The GTO engine and gearbox face the other way around, so it wouldn't be easy.

Just stick with the VR-4 engine :)

Turbo_Steve
25-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm with brad: total waste of effort for such similar engines, especially as the VR-4 setup is newer.

Better to commit the budget to tuning what you have to GTO levels (not very hard).
If you're looking at going mad, then drop the block and do something expensive: it depends how much you want to spend.
Injectors, Turbos, exhaust, inlet, ECU, fuel pump and reg : should see you comfortably over 400bhp atw, depending on how far you go with turbos etc.

People have gone to higher on standard engine, but I have to confess that around this point I would expect the engines life to be shortened.
This means forged internals are a good idea.
If you're going to that level.....perhaps it's worth going the whole hog and seeing if you can stroke it out to 2.8, huge injectors, monster turbos, uprated manual gearbox, delete the AYC, see how close to 1000bhp you can get LOL.

Alternatively, trade the VR-4 in for a Stagea and follow a proven Skyline tuning route for big bhp...definitely cheaper and less risk involved.

Oggie
25-05-2008, 10:25 PM
The GTO engine and gearbox face the other way around, so it wouldn't be easy.

Just stick with the VR-4 engine :)

as soon as you said that i knew it was a no go lol.

I just liked the idea of a 3L single turbo vr4 :afro:

guess its time to look at getting a vr4 and just putting up with gas bills or a mitsi gto vr4 as the yanks say. i dare say with gas per litre hitting near 3 dollars around gec this year its a buyers marker for gas guzzlers lol.

thanks for the heads up guys.