PDA

View Full Version : spare wheel, brakes?

heaveho
25-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi, our '02 2.5 V6 Sport has 17" alloys as standard, but at the moment has a 15" steel spare wheel. Is this correct? If not, or even if correct, does anyone have a spare 17" alloy they would sell?

Next question....I have a pair of front Brembos from my Evo8 in the garage...does anyone know what's involved in getting these on to the Galant?

Cheers, Andy.

Nick Mann
25-05-2008, 10:30 PM
The steel wheel spare is normal. Be thankfull it's not a space saver as some of us have!

Facelift VR4's have the same caliper bolt spacing as Evos - the Bremos bolt straight on. Double check the spacing of the holes, but I think you have a very good chance that they will bolt straight on your V6 too. All you'll need to find is Evo sized discs for four stud wheels. I guess Evo 3 owners will have investigated that?

psbarham
25-05-2008, 10:50 PM
as nick said yours is a facelift so there is a good chance they will fit, as for disc's then do what i did to the 294's that i fitted to mine, just drill the buggers to fit the 4 studs, you only need to drill 3 holes. its very easy to do, i'll explain it better when i see you in june

heaveho
25-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Blimey, that didn't take long, thanks lads!

Paul, I assume you're referring to the standard Evo discs, if so, I'll give them a miss as they're prone o warping. The discs I have in the garage came off my Evo at 8K because of this and were replaced with APs. I'd like to use the Brembos on the Galant, can you recommend any other discs?

Cheers, Andy.

bradc
26-05-2008, 01:48 AM
I'd say you would be better off to just get better pads for the V6 and sell the evo 8 calipers to make some money :) It sounds like too much hassle trying to find 4 stud discs to match up!

psbarham
26-05-2008, 07:51 AM
I'd say you would be better off to just get better pads for the V6 and sell the evo 8 calipers to make some money :) It sounds like too much hassle trying to find 4 stud discs to match up!

yes a set of carbotech pads would make all the difference, but thats no fun. and tbh it takes about 10 minutes to redrill the discs

Paul, I assume you're referring to the standard Evo discs, if so, I'll give them a miss as they're prone o warping. The discs I have in the garage came off my Evo at 8K because of this and were replaced with APs. I'd like to use the Brembos on the Galant, can you recommend any other discs?

i've fitted a set of mintex grooved discs from madmat on the mlr but they were 294mmfor the evo4, what's the latest hot snot disc on the mlr these days for the brembo's?

heaveho
26-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Well, AP do what's called a strap drive disc conversion, which is meant to be enable the Brembo calipers to be retained, but the cost is a bit eye watering, circa £6-700 last time I looked, so that's not happening!

If the Brembos will bolt straight on , I'll try getting the original Evo discs skimmed, and talk to you about the re-drill.

I'm assuming those Brembos will fit behind the standard Galant 17" alloys, otherwise the whole thing is off the agender!

Paul, completely different subject, but it occurred to us that the drive to Gatwick to get Soph will be a nightmare for you at that time of day....we wondered if it'd be a better solution if you stayed at our place the night before, and drove up in convoy from here the next day. I know it means driving further in the first place, but at least you could do it at a time when the traffic was quiet. Also, I know you have family considerations, so may not be possible, but the offer's there, and it'd be good to meet and be able to have a drink! No worries for parking, it's quiet and secure here.
No probs if it's not possible, just a thought.

Nick Mann
26-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm not sue the Brembos will fit behind the sport alloys. The offset is quite large (IIRC it is +50) so the chance of the spokes fouling the caliper must be quite high.

scc
26-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Got a couple of alloys like the ones in my gallery.

I've been told that they've got a buckle in the inner lip. If its something you think you can fix, then I'll let you have them.

Cheers scc

heaveho
26-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Nick, yeah the offset is 50, I think the Evo is 35, so it's looking like a problem. I'll fit one of the Brembos, and see how far away it is, might consider a spacer if the discrepancy is very small.

scc, if those wheels are the same as the ones on the car in your gallery, then I'd be interested, cheers. If it's easier, I'm on 07909 902828 anytime, thanks, Andy.

g6acb
26-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi, our '02 2.5 V6 Sport has 17" alloys as standard, but at the moment has a 15" steel spare wheel. Is this correct? If not, or even if correct, does anyone have a spare 17" alloy they would sell?

The 17" doesn't fit in the spare wheel well without 'alterations' to the boot floor / carpet

currently in negotiations with the Mrs to turn a spare alloy into a hose pipe reel for the side of the house - but not getting very far :inquisiti