PDA

View Full Version : Project for you Electronic Wizzes

mpau009
26-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Turbo Timer + Me = Leaving the lights on and walking away/pan several times now in fact

Does anyone want to have a go at making it so that my lights turn off when the key is taken out, or at least the buzzer goes then, not 1.30 later when the car shuts off, after iv walked away..

Could be a handy mod for similar absent minded individuals:afro:

That and im going to have a go at Kenneths killing the door buzzer thing too, im guessing the wiring must be in the same vicinity?

djb160
26-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Dude, you figure that one out and put up a "how-to" for it and you'll have rep points coming out your ears:thumbsup: /woot2 /notworthy /notworthy :smug: :smug: :smug:

Roberto
26-05-2008, 12:56 PM
One needed here to, but I'm doing a Higher Cert. in Electronics at the moment.

I feel a project coming on, if only I had the time......./Grrr

Davezj
26-05-2008, 09:41 PM
do you have an alarm on your car with immobiliser?

If so it shouldn't let you lock the doors until the engine has gone off anyway mine doesn't.
and you could check the light in 1min 30 sec couldn't you.
saying that i have left my lights on all day before due to the same problem. But i bought a decent battery and i can leave my lights on all day and still start my car at going home time from work.

You could always just put a relay in the lighting circuit so that when the ignition is off the light will not come on. It is not an eligant solution but it will work.

however there some times when you want the light on and the ignition is not on, but hey you can't have everythig for a 5 second thought. i may mull this one over and see if can come up with something a bit more all inclusive.

mpau009
26-05-2008, 10:04 PM
do you have an alarm on your car with immobiliser?

If so it shouldn't let you lock the doors until the engine has gone off anyway mine doesn't.
and you could check the light in 1min 30 sec couldn't you.
saying that i have left my lights on all day before due to the same problem. But i bought a decent battery and i can leave my lights on all day and still start my car at going home time from work.

You could always just put a relay in the lighting circuit so that when the ignition is off the light will not come on. It is not an eligant solution but it will work.

Yeah i have a triple immobilised alarm, and had to pay for some extra chip so that i could arm it and walk away.

My battery is in the boot, so 30 minutes or more in the supermarket carpark and it struggles to turn over..

Thatd be great if you can figure something out, im not fussed about having the lights on without the key

Davezj
26-05-2008, 10:38 PM
OK.

it would just be a relay power from the ignition On signal (same as the radio)and the relay contacts would just make and break the lighting circuit lust behind the stalk switch.

Not sure about the exact connection point but it can't be that difficut to find.

maybe someones knows the exact wires without me having to pull the under steering wheel and cowal off from round the stalks.

You would probably have to have a 2 pole relay so the side and headlight could be switch off, and the fogs would be on a separate siganl as well so that is 3 pole. but they would have to be able to make and break 12V 55Wx2 which off the top of my head about 9 amps for the headlights, which is doable but the relay gets a bit more expensive. maybe best to use 2 separate realys for the side and headlights, or just kill the feed to the fuse box to the lights with one big realy with high rated contacts. beceause if you use a relay that is under rated then the contacts tend to weld themselves together. if you are switching current that are too high for the relay in question.
On and aside note, that is why you can "fix" and relay be tapping it with a screw driver, it causes the contacts to unweld themselves. when i say weld just a tiny spot weld which is broken by the vibration of the tap.

update later

CANDEE
28-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah i have a triple immobilised alarm, and had to pay for some extra chip so that i could arm it and walk away.

My battery is in the boot, so 30 minutes or more in the supermarket carpark and it struggles to turn over..

Thatd be great if you can figure something out, im not fussed about having the lights on without the key

An AVS Mike? Mine does the same thing :)

sightless
28-05-2008, 01:12 AM
would moving the buzzer somehow from "buzz when engine not running" to "buzz when keys are out" be possible?

Davezj
28-05-2008, 01:23 PM
you could fit another buzzer which was triggered by an AND gate with the signal from the Ignition key Inverted to give you a buzz when light are on and ignition off. Any other combination of inputs would keep the buzzer off.

Then you wouldn't have to mess with relays and switching lighting circuits on and off. but that is not what you asked for originally.

orionn2o
28-05-2008, 03:53 PM
You'll have to excuse me because i dont know where the buzzer wiring is and I cant find a circuit diagram for it.

However out of the ecu is a pin (key removed/inserted), you could use that in conjunction with the existing lights on signal (which is supplied to most stereos) and then connect this to the buzzer.

Now there will be a couple of obstacles:

The key removed signal is TTL (0-5v)
The light on signal is 0-12v

The buzzer i dont know about.

But either way, using a CMOS device (logic gate) should give you the desired effect. And of course the logic is easy.

IF A AND B are set, OUTPUT to BUZZER = 1 .

arcstrike
01-06-2008, 08:42 PM
just put new head unit in the legnum fits in just right sevic touch screen very nice it does everything except drive

Davezj
01-06-2008, 10:21 PM
You'll have to excuse me because i dont know where the buzzer wiring is and I cant find a circuit diagram for it.

However out of the ecu is a pin (key removed/inserted), you could use that in conjunction with the existing lights on signal (which is supplied to most stereos) and then connect this to the buzzer.

Now there will be a couple of obstacles:

The key removed signal is TTL (0-5v)
The light on signal is 0-12v

The buzzer i dont know about.

But either way, using a CMOS device (logic gate) should give you the desired effect. And of course the logic is easy.

IF A AND B are set, OUTPUT to BUZZER = 1 .

yep that would work as well. you would have to check the polarity of the output when the key is put in and taken out to make sure it is key out (HIGH) and not key in (HIGH). but that is in the details.