PDA

View Full Version : newbie

nick-f1
29-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi there, am in the process of purchasing a 98 legnum vr4 with service history(2 years worth) which was actually imported from japan by our local mitzy dealership for a customer . Its really clean and about 40K miles but on test driving , it seemed to have aflat spot from 6000 revs to redline. I am wondering if this is normal or needs attention or what? Other than that its a lovely car, leather interior and 5 speed manual. Wonder if any of you guys could help please? Thanks
Regards
Nick

KiwiTT
29-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Have the cambelts been included in the service history. I suspect they would have needed to to be done.

Nick Mann
29-02-2004, 10:42 PM
I had a flat spot over 6000. A performance back box and a de-cat pipe (see the for sale section) almost cured it. Not sure if the man'fs back box is a little too restrictive when the revs get high.

wirdy
29-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Sounds nice, would be good to get another manual owner into the club.

Unmodified Max power is 206kW (280 PS) @ 5500rpm, max torque is 363 Nm @4000rpm, therefore once your in 6000rpm - redline area you're missing the whole point of a V6 torquey engine.
Can't explain the 'flat spot' though, mine's a manual and revs freely in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to the redline without drama and will sit bouncing off the limiter. Try this in 4th though and it takes a while (comparitively) to get past 5500, (the drop in power + physical laws take over more),- much better to grab the next cog and up the speed goes again. Have only done this a couple of times though, after a good long run with everything up to temp. I don't suppose you were in a high gear and hit the speed limiter (~120mph)? Has it got a speed delimiter fitted? You probably wouldn't have been in that speed range on a test drive!!
Also make sure the front lower ball joints have been inspected for wear (Mitsi recall), it's free and worth doing, although mine were fine.
Good luck.

nick-f1
01-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks 4 yr replies, this car was imported by out local mitsy dealer (poole) 2years ago so I presume these recall checks would have been done, But have asked the dealer for a breakdown of sh to see if the cambelt has been changed. so hopefully will check up on on ball joints too! Don't know about 112 mph limiter though, got upto just over ton on dual carriageway before pratt in volvo pulled out suddnly then refused to move over, found out how crap the brakes are though! Have rover 600 turbo at the moment 200 bhp, and this legnum doesnt seem much quicker! Anyone kow a good insurance co? cant get below £670 at the moment (online). Anyway got 2 weeks to sell rover or take dealers measly trade-in, so hopefully take possesion soon.
Cheers
Nick

maria
09-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Try Liverpool Victoria, I don't know how are compare on price but alot of my mates who have imports can't rate them highly enough, they come into their own as they are not worried about the mods.

I would suggest you call them rather than use the web site as I understand the information on there is not correct.

Good luck

nick-f1
10-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Maria, thanks for yr info I will give them a call even though I've got a great quote from Lifesure.(see my other thread)
Thanks
Regards
Nick. :cool1: