PDA

View Full Version : 100 ton limit over bridge...

bernmc
28-05-2008, 01:22 PM
(adapted from an article I've written, but thought you lot might be interested too :))

100 ton limit over bridge...

Fortunately, there’s no such limit beneath it, where I'm doing exactly a ton... and the lunatic next to me has just told me to take both hands off the steering wheel! Welcome to Millbrook, and CAT Advanced Driver Training.

I’m at Millbrook with 8 other members of the GTR club for a day with CAT Driver Training. It’s essentially a day of ‘tasters’ of what CAT has to offer, and an opportunity to do things with your car that you would never dare on the public road, all within the bounds of a purpose built vehicle test facility... ‘a 750 acre playground’ as one of the instructors puts it :happy: .

Millbrook is owned and run by General Motors. Security is tight, and there are no cameras allowed. Try taking a sneaky snap of one of the prototypes or test vehicles you’ll come across during the course of the day, and expect to face a charge of industrial espionage. As it’s a vehicle test facility rather than a recreation area, there aren’t any spectator areas, little or no runoff :o, and sections of fresh barrier bare testament to recent driver indiscretions.... Good thing that no-one has had an accident on a CAT course then!

The day starts off in some of the best hospitality facilities that I’ve ever experienced on a driving day. Hot and cold drinks are on tap, enough chocolate and biscuits to double your waistline, and an excellent lunch will appear throughout the day. Even the portable toilets are good enough for a hotel!

Head Honcho Colin runs through a safety briefing, and then gets down to the business of vehicle dynamics. He comes from a background of motor racing and vehicle evaluation, so has an intimate knowledge of what makes a car tick. This is one of the things that impressed me most about the day – there’s a huge amount of technical information, with emphasis on why what we do makes the car react the way it does. The focus is on smoothness, balance, and achieving what you set out to achieve with minimal input.

While we’re being lectured, CAT’s own engineer is busy going through each of our cars with a fine toothed comb, checking tyre tread, pressures, fluids and so on. He’s around for the day to help if anything falls off, and will recheck all the cars again when the fun is over, so you can drive home in safety. It’s this level of customer care and attention to detail that sets CAT apart from any other ‘driving day’ I’ve experienced. They really do go to extraordinary lengths to make the day a success.

Talking over, and its game on! There are two instructors for the day, so the group of 8 splits into two groups of four, and we’re off to probably the most famous strip of tarmac in the UK – Millbrook’s Mile Straight. Get excited about the acceleration figures that your favourite car mag churns out every month? Chances are they were done here. It’s the site of the day’s first event: Threshold braking.

As with all the events, we start off with a demo by our instructor, so we all pile into the Ford repmobile for a few eyeball-popping high speed stops. Then it’s time to go one-to-one with the instructor in your own car. The idea here is firstly to learn to stop with the help of ABS. ‘Once you hit 70mph, hit the pedal like you hate it’ says Nick, my guru for the day. ‘You obviously don’t hate it much’ he quips after my first feeble attempt. Once you realise you’ve probably never braked as hard as you could have ever before, you go on to learn to threshold brake – that is braking with the maximum pedal pressure that just keeps from triggering the ABS. Get it right, and you’ll stop quicker than you can with ABS. And 70mph is the slowest stop of the exercise – you soon move on to 80, then 90, and then 100. Braking has to be smooth and consistent, and in a straight line. I found that I tensed my arms when hitting the brake pedal, which made the car squirm. As I learned to relax, the car stopped in a straight line. It’s not something I would have picked up on my own.

Translate this to the track, and if you can brake consistently and to the car’s maximum potential, you can do the same thing at every corner, every lap.

Of course, while all this is going on, your instructor is learning how well you and your car stop, so that when the time comes for the finale and he says ‘you’re just going to have to trust me on this one...’ he knows exactly what he’s doing.

The final run is absolutely flat out down the mile straight with a stop at the end. ‘This is your car – you do it how you want to’ says Nick. Want to launch at 6000 rpm and blast away? Prefer to do a gentler rolling start? Entirely up to you. I haven’t had the courage or opportunity to do a full launch in safety in the GTR, so this was my chance, and I wasn’t going to pass it up. Somewhere around 6000 rpm, I discover that all that money spent on the twin-plate carbon clutch is worthwhile as the Skyline leaps forward with a banshee howl and chirp of the rear tyres. ‘That was pretty near perfect’ says Nick as I concentrate on getting my gear changes in before the 8000rpm redline comes up. 100mph flies by and we’re nudging 160 when the end of the straight starts to look awfully close and I’m wondering if Nick has lost his voice, had a stroke from all the excitement, or is just plain crazy! There’s no moaning or snoring from the passenger seat, so I’m just settling on option three when he says ‘BRAKE!’ and I slam on the anchors. The car pulls up without drama and with at least 50m to spare. 15 minutes in the car, and Nick already knows the GTR (and me) better than I do.

I’ve heard a lot about how bad the standard Brembo setup is on the R33-GTR, but after my time with CAT, I can only conclude that it’s operator of the pedal that must be at fault. I’m running Motul RBF600 brake fluid, Ferodo DS2500 pads, and standard disks. The car performed faultlessly stop after high speed stop. No smoke, no fade. Apart from the blue discs and enough radiant heat to sunbathe in, you’d never have known what we’d been up to.

Next on the program was the High Speed Bowl, where we’d practice rapid lane changes, and then learn to lose our licence hands free! As with all the activities, it starts with a familiarisation jaunt in the CAT repmobiles, and then it’s back into your own car for the real thing.

The first exercise involves travelling at 30mph in a lane, and then having to swerve into the adjacent lane as quickly as possible. You’d be surprised at how violent this manoeuvre feels. And at how well the car handles it. Again, I’m sure that if I’d have had to do it for the first time in an emergency on the road, I’d never have turned the wheel enough – either to turn out of the lane, or more importantly to turn back into the next lane. Once you’re happy at 30, you do the same thing at 40. Interestingly, the Skyline felt better at 40 than it did 30 – we suspected this was due to the rear wheel steering coming into play.

Intestine shaking shenanigans over, we move over to the high speed lanes of the bowl. Again, it’s up to the individual driver to go as fast as they’re comfortable - there’s no pressure to go at a certain speed. One of CAT’s mantras for the day is ‘look where you want to go, not where you’re going’. This is especially important on the high speed bowl – at 150mph in the banked outside lane, you’re practically looking out of the side window, and you feel like you’re almost vertical! Look at the barrier, and surprise surprise, that’s where you start heading! Once again, the GTR is impressive at speed. It is completely stable and unruffled.

The bowl is designed so that in each lane, at a certain speed, you should be able to take your hands off the steering wheel and the car will continue to travel in that lane without any steering inputs. Accelerate slightly, and the car will move further up the bank. Decelerate and it moves down. It just so happens that this speed is 100mph in the outer lane. It’s still a huge leap of faith to gently lift your hands away from the wheel while travelling at a speed that would get you an instant ban from PC Plod. But the adrenaline rush leaves you with the biggest grin afterwards...!

And once again, your instructor has been learning how you and your car handle turning and travelling at high speed. All the better to guide you when you get to the next two events. Cunning devils!

bernmc
28-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Sadly, we have had our first car casualty of the day. One of the R33’s, barely 1500 miles after an engine rebuild, sounds like it’s spun a big-end bearing. Once again we see CAT customer service in action. Their own Subaru Impreza is already burbling quietly to itself as it warms up, and the CAT staff are busy on the telephone trying to find a recovery vehicle that can lug the Skyline several hundred miles back to the engine builder. The distances involved mean that the car’s owner will have to leave at around 2pm, but Bossman Colin practices his dieting technique, cuts his lunch short, and heads out with him in the Impreza for some extra tuition before he has to leave.

For the rest of us, it’s on to the Handling circuit. Like all of Millbrook’s circuits, every piece of road and every corner has a purpose. Each is designed to test a different aspect of the car. It’s one of the things that makes the facility so good for driver training.

So for example, one of the corners on the handling circuit is specifically designed to induce understeer. The surface is less grippy, and the road is banked to promote agricultural expeditions. There are slow transitional bends (left-right) and fast transitional bends. Blind crests, decreasing radii... drive Millbrook’s circuits and you should encounter every kind of corner that road and track can throw at you.

As always, we start off slowly following our familiarisation drive. The circuit feels tiny and very intimidating. There’s no run off. But all that morning messing about means that my instructor now knows me and my car so well that it isn’t long before we’re flying around the track. (Well, it feels like I’m flying – Nick’s granny could probably do it quicker!). There’s a constant stream of advice from the passenger seat – ‘Brake here in a straight line’, ‘turn as soon as you see the corner’, ‘look at where you want to go, not where you’re going’. I’m amazed at how well the CAT staff manage us after such a short time in the car with us. They generate huge self confidence. And if they feel things are getting a bit ragged, they simply slow you down, go back to the basics, and build up again.

Nick is enthusing about how well my car is set up – it’s one of the things that makes the biggest impression on me on the day. Hearing that your car is behaving well from a pro is wonderful! Now, if only we can sort out the nut holding the steering wheel...!

I never managed to get the whole course right – I’m too much of a slow learner to pick things up in a few laps - but the feeling when you manage to get a couple of corners in a row just right is simply amazing! The car just feels sublime, and you realise you’re beginning to feel the weight and balance shift around as you get it right or wrong, whatever the case may be. It makes you want to go back and have another go. Again and again!

Unfortunately, there’s not much opportunity to do that on a group day. With three other people waiting for their turn with Yoda, time is strictly limited.

And the Alpine Route awaits. The Handling Circuit is pretty flat, with some short stretches of gradient. The Alpine route is a rollercoaster. Hills, valleys, blind crests, trees, barriers... my heart is in my mouth as we plunge down the first valley and up the hill on the other side. It’s an opportunity to practice ‘single input steering’. ‘Look ahead, and turn once’ says Nick as we enter the course. And throughout that long dip and rise up the other side (it feels like miles!), the road curves gently and the steering wheel stays still in my hands. It’s another one of those ‘Wow! This really works’ moments that seem to occur throughout the day. Once again, Nicks gentle instruction is confidence inspiring: ‘Aim for the third post, brake in a straight line’, ‘turn now’, ‘power, power, power’... once again I never manage to get the whole route right, but I get most corners right at least once. There’s a perfect lap in there somewhere.

Nick mentions that we were hitting 90 through some bits, which given the narrow, twisty nature of the course amazes me. When the car is balanced properly, it just feels natural.

The day finishes off with some oversteer/understeer training on a big chunk of concrete pad, followed by a round of hooliganism in CAT’s Caterham. This all takes place next to CAT’s catering facilities, so we finally get to watch the other members of the group performing – something that you can’t do on the handling/hill circuits.

We spend some time going around in circles at silly speeds, learning just how good the Skyline is at not letting go. You have to be pretty violent with the car to get it to oversteer, and even then it sets about sorting things out pretty smartly. I’d have liked a bit of time to play around with the Torque Split Controller, but again, it’s a group day and we have to move on.

I’m first up to make a fool of myself in the Caterham Gymkhana! Cones mark out a wacky circuit which includes a slalom (don’t look at the cones, look at the gaps :)!) and a dainty little pirouette around a cone (not!). You get a practice run (two if you’re first up) and two timed runs. Penalties for going astray or hitting cones (and it’s surprisingly easy to go astray)! If you’re too tall or have eaten too many pies to fit in the Caterham, you get to do the course in the Impreza instead.

4000rpm off the line with a squeal of tyres, and I impress myself by managing to remember where to go! The unservo’d brakes catch me out a bit, but I don’t hit any cones, and I don’t spin. Again, I never get the whole course right, and seem to fluff the entry into the slalom every time. I need another go! My time improves by around 9 seconds between the sighting and final run so I’m pleased that I’m progressing.

It’s great fun to watch the rest of the group have a go. From the careful, measured approach to the bull-in-a-china-shop technique, there’s plenty to laugh about!

All-in-all, a great day out. Well worth it. I’ve already booked a return :D!

bernmc
28-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Can't access it from work, but I'll post a video link of Colin driving the Alpine route and Handling circuit when I get home. Very quick!

If anyone is interested in doing a CVR4 day with CAT, I'll ask them to come and visit the forum and discuss with the powers that be...

pitslayer
28-05-2008, 02:05 PM
how much???? just scanned it and it sounds awesome

Throbbe
28-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Nice write up. I'd love to have a go. Having spent thousands on improving my cars I really should spend a bit on improving my driving too!

Kieran
28-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Sounds like fun. How much was it?

bernmc
28-05-2008, 03:13 PM
I think it was around £345 each based on 8 sharing. I think club rates vary, so it's something CVR4 would have to discuss with CAT.

Not the cheapest training, but in terms of facilities, level of one to one tuition and the amount you come away with, well worth it.

I was thinking of a host of suspension mods before the day, but after NIck kept enthusing about how well the car behaved, I'll save a fortune bby leaving it as it is!

Mark 4
28-05-2008, 04:05 PM
£345 is pretty reasonable, Bedford Autodrome is £701 this year although I will be going as it is one of my promotional things that I do with select customers.

Millbrook sounds way better though because it trains you in your own car.

I would definitely be up for this.

BTW - great write up Bern.

bernmc
28-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Here's the video of Colin: Clickage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv86v2vGELc&feature=related)

Starts off with the Alpine circuit. Watch the steering wheel as he enters the course, and you'll see what I mean by 'single input steering' - he won't move the wheel all through dip and hill until he has to turn right.

There's a boring bit on the high speed bowl in the middle, but if you FF to 5:20, you'll see the hands-free manoeuvre!

5:40 on is the handling circuit. Knowing how narrow and tricky this is, the speed he goes around it is incredible. Have a look at how the passenger is being thrown about to get an idea of how fast he's going. Also listen for comments along the lines of 'two corners, one input'.

Must have been taken with a minder in the car as you're not allowed to video normally.

Physician
28-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Brilliant write-up Bern.

Colin is good isn't he .......... I taught him everything he knows :speechles (I learned it all from SGHOM).

(I'd also be very interested in this course - need to keep up with Bern!)

Beastlee
28-05-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't claim to be perfect but I've always driven the single input steering method, without realising. A freind used to wiggle the wheel like mad to go round bends, he claimed it meant the wheels were in a straight line more often. Sorry but all it seemed to be doing was upset the balance of the car.
I'd love to do something like this and I'm sure Heidi would like to do it too!

SGHOM
28-05-2008, 11:15 PM
A freind used to wiggle the wheel like mad to go round bends, !

I await Heaths defence in this practice /rally /pan :iloveyou: