PDA

View Full Version : Clutch centering pin

Roberto
30-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Ok, so I have finally ordered the Pro Shop Iida clutch kit from RHD.

But my mechanic has asked about a clutch centering pin.
Do anyone know if one is needed for our cars and if so where to get one?

Thanks, as allways.

dickytim
30-05-2008, 08:53 AM
I am not aware of one, that is to say the times I have done the clutch I haven't used one. just used the laser eye to line it up and it wasn't a problem.

mpau009
30-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I was told that you needed a tool too, but iv done mine plus helped with another now, and just centered it by eye. An extra set of hands helps, but i did mine by myself just fine.

Roberto
30-05-2008, 09:51 AM
That sounds good, I'll be there when most of the work is happening and plan to try and help as much as possible.

Although I will be bringing my own tea, his is rank....../pan

psbarham
30-05-2008, 11:15 AM
feck me what a **** garage :o why the frickin hell hasn't he got a clutch alignment tool?? they only cost a few quid and are pretty much essential /pan

Nutter_John
30-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Was thinking the same thing myslef Paul , they cost bugger all for a universal one and can't understand why he would not have one ,

more to the point would you trust a garage to replace a clutch and them to ask the customer for an alignment tool, i thinks not

psbarham
30-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Was thinking the same thing myself Paul , they cost bugger all for a universal one and can't understand why he would not have one ,

more to the point would you trust a garage to replace a clutch and them to ask the customer for an alignment tool, i thinks not

i wonder if he has to supply the spanners as well? by the sounds of it the garage only has the AF multi spanner that came with his chopper or grifter /lol

Subaru ETA
30-05-2008, 11:28 AM
hahah yeah if we started asking customers to borrow tools so we could fix there car id say we might loose some customers!

Nutter_John
30-05-2008, 11:31 AM
i wonder if he has to supply the spanners as well? by the sounds of it the garage only has the AF multi spanner that came with his chopper or grifter /lol

FPMSL :D

Roberto
30-05-2008, 02:40 PM
He is a mate who has just asked the question.

I am sure some clutches need them and some don't.

Has everyone here had all the tools the have ever needed to do a job they have never done before....../pan

And the question was for a specific tool to our cars, not a universal item.

Subaru ETA
31-05-2008, 07:48 AM
you are supposed to use an alignment tool whenever you do a clutch to make it easier. thats why everyone is saying that a mechanic should have one! but yeah, you can just use your eye-crometer

Eurospec
31-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Yeah, that is a bit of a shocker! Maybe the guy is thinking, hmmmm, wierdy jap car, i'll never have an ilignment tool for that.

At the end of the day the normal 'twin size' universal tool will do it, so ther shouldnt be a problem.

Even if he hasnt got one, which he should have, you can do it by eye, though it isnt ideal.

Cheers,

Ben.

Roberto
01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I may have added into the confusion here.
The exact question asked was "Does the new clutch kit come with its own centering pin?"
And not "Do I need one?" or "Have you got one?"

So I'll take a /pan , for that one.

Yep, weirdy Jap car alright and I've asked loads of questions, here and elsewhere, so I think he was just getting his own back.