PDA

View Full Version : engine management light?

heaveho
30-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Christ, what next!

'02 Galant V6 sport. As title, this has come on now! Car drives fine.

Our previous V6 did this, and stayed on for all of one whole day before disappearing as quickly as it appeared, and also without any apparent ill effects. This is the 2nd time in a month it's happened with this one, is there a known lambda / catalyst issue on these?

All theories gratefully received ( again )! Cheers, Andy.

Kieran
31-05-2008, 12:38 AM
There's no known issues on the V6 that cause a CEL event.

It could be lots of things, it's a tad difficult to say. The kicker is that by 2001, Mitsubishi had to change the ECU and emsissions gear to meet new Euro standards and as such the old trick of earthing pin 1 on your diag connector to get the CEL to 'flash' the code probably won't work as the format of the diag codes also changed from the simple 2 digit number system that Mitsu had been using since forever. Might be worth a try though?

Other than that, I would reckon you're looking at a trip to MitsuTwitty to let them connect the MUT tool to it.:inquisiti

heaveho
31-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Cheers for that, typically, it's gone off again today. Still, the tappet rattle problem has also now eradicated itself, so it's not all doom and gloom!

Cheers, Andy.

I-S
31-05-2008, 06:32 PM
If you are in huddersfield/oldham area then I can read the code out through scantech.

heaveho
01-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Lol, geography not strong, however suspect Southampton not local to you.... but thanks for the offer. I can't get too worried about this problem, the car drives fine, it's probably a dodgy connection on a sensor, I'm just interested in the cause.

Cheers Andy.

n13l pm
01-06-2008, 02:53 AM
My '03 elegance management light has been on for some time now. btw the only way i see this related to you is that the car drives fine and i have not noticed any difference while driving. In addition as I only really drive during the weekend I wasnt in a great rush to find out the problem.. anyways I finally got around to checking the errors codes today.. the error report found two errors:

Oxygen Sensor 2 (front) heater
Oxygen Sensor (front) heater

I guess both sensors need changing in my case. Now to search on here to find out if its worth the main dealer part or if il live with a universal fit one..

heaveho
01-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks, if it stays on permanently, I'll deal with it, otherwise, as long as it drives o.k, and there's no reason to think it's being harmed, I'll let it go.

Cheers, Andy.

n13l pm
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Thing is my one is on permanently and it drives fine. I think it would be a good idea to check out the error codes, just to be on the safe side. becasue if I left my one and not get the problem sorted then surely over time it would mess up the ca or sumthing..

toad
03-06-2008, 08:37 PM
my em light comes on and knocks mt traction control out any one have any ideas about this problem

peter thomson
03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Those 2 lights coming on means you have a fault of some kind. You'll have to read the codes to find out what they are. If you use search you'll find the info. You will need to be a full member though to be able to use the info properly but it's the best spend of £20 you could make on your VR4

Kieran
03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
my em light comes on and knocks mt traction control out any one have any ideas about this problem

Do a search for Traction Control + Engine light. It's quite a common event.Normally it's easily fixed too. The info's on here in several posts. :scholar:

AncientOfMu
03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I have had a couple of occasions where my CEL light has come on whilst driving.

Both times it has happened has been when the weather has been very wet.

I have put it down to some connection getting wet throwing a code then drying out and the CEL goes out after a couple of engine restarts.

HTH

Don

toad
04-06-2008, 04:22 PM
where doi find the codes for the cel and traction control light as no codes are showing up where will they show please

peter thomson
04-06-2008, 04:26 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22930&highlight=fault+codes

Quick search find these

Kieran
04-06-2008, 04:37 PM
where doi find the codes for the cel and traction control light as no codes are showing up where will they show please

Did you search for threads on TCL + Check Engine light?

You should if you haven't - Having both lights come on at the same time is pretty common on these cars and the fix is usually pretty simple.

toad
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
found the codes ok but still cant get rid of them dam lights for the traction control and the engine managment please help me someone or i will sell my body to science

peter thomson
11-06-2008, 12:49 PM
What codes did you get and did you try resetting the ecu. Did you check the traction control tank?

toad
12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
hi pete checked the tank all ok disconnected the battary still have that dam light cumming on please help would i have any thing to do with the brakes shall i take the wheels of and check them

toad
12-06-2008, 06:34 PM
what do i need to get the codes to show up or is it a garage job thanks toad

Kieran
12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
what do i need to get the codes to show up or is it a garage job thanks toad

This link shows a Mitsubishi FTO, but the procedure is the same. The Diag socket's in roughly the same area on the Galant/Legnum.:scholar:

http://www.ftowa.com/html/workshop/workshopart07.html

toad
16-06-2008, 04:21 PM
any one tell me where i can get a tow bar for my legnum please

Nick Mann
16-06-2008, 05:16 PM
toad - this is a thread about engine management light problems. Not about tow bars. Please start a new thread in the right forum, or add to a relevant thread that is already in existance.

Wodjno
16-06-2008, 05:30 PM
toad - this is a thread about engine management light problems. Not about tow bars. Please start a new thread in the right forum, or add to a relevant thread that is already in existance.

ROFLMAO :D :D :D :D