PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coating turbo's?

Davezj
10-06-2008, 11:56 PM
does anyone have any experiance of ceramic coating turbo's.

Do you coat both the exhaust and compressor sides or just the exhaust?

what difference did it make?

did you do the exhaust Maniflods as well?

is it difficult to remove the turbo's?

is it a case of unbolting from the exhaust manifold removeing the oil lines boost hose to wastgate, then remove the down pipe with turbo's attached. a bit of simplistic description, but is that about it.

mpau009
11-06-2008, 12:13 AM
does anyone have any experiance of ceramic coating turbo's.

Do you coat both the exhaust and compressor sides or just the exhaust?

what difference did it make?

did you do the exhaust Maniflods as well?

is it difficult to remove the turbo's?

is it a case of unbolting from the exhaust manifold removeing the oil lines boost hose to wastgate, then remove the down pipe with turbo's attached. a bit of simplistic description, but is that about it.

TBH getting the factory turbos off was a horrid job on mine, and i had the gearbox off, so could move the engine around a bit.. they have been on there for a while, and a lot of stuff has come off to get decent access. There are oil and coolant lines to undo.

why are you considering coating them? for looks:P or to keep engine bay temps down a bit..

I am dubious about the effectiveness of ceramic coating. I got my manifolds coated, but left the td05 as it was.

Other than the look (my high temp paint started to smoke and burn immediately) i cant say iv notice much drop in engine bay temp either (not $800 worth..) It may have gone from really ****in hot to just ****in hot

And any extra temp you keep in the turbo is going to decrease its lifespan.

I would bet you could get better results from a properly designed and fed cold airbox

Gowf
11-06-2008, 12:16 AM
They are not the easiest things in the world to remove. You need to remove the oil and water lines, downpipes and unbolt them from the manifolds but there are a lot of other things that need to be removed to facilitate you doing this.

As for the ceramic coating, i have no experience of it myself, but it will undoubtedly reduced various temperatures. For example, the hot side will not dissapate as much heat to atmosphere thereby increasing your inlet temperature. It will also, by doing this keep the velocity of the exhaust gas up. Both of these are also true for the manifolds if they are coated.
The compressor side if coated will inhibit the heat soak into the charge air. By nature of compression the air that is being induced will increase in temperature, but this is obviously not ideal colder air= greater density = more oxygen = more power, which is why there is need for intercoolers/charge coolers.
How much difference this makes is something that youd have to find out yourself, but it will definately keep charge and underhood temperatures down...as for how much i do not know. Whether this is Worth the money in a 'bang for buck' way is debatable...but in the end its all down to how far you want to go and how much you want to spend.

I do intend to coat my manifolds, but due to financial constraints and the general arse it is to get them off (and mine are now a lot easier than stock) Ive not gone down that road yet. As for turbos, i was also going to get some turbo bags, but again they cost the earth and i feel that they are the last thing i really need in order to make more power. More boost is definately a cheaper and far more effective way!

Davezj
11-06-2008, 12:36 AM
at the moment i am just interested in the possibility.
I had the heads off mine for skimming and gasket replaced about a year ago so the turbo's and manifold should come off relatively easily. i am looking at a very cheap way of coating them. with a bit of an odd product, if it is possible to do. i am waiting to here back from a guy. i have possed some questions to.

Interesting you say the turbo's are water cooled. i thought that was only for big lumps, and it was only the oil feed that cooled them on ours. well you learn somthing new every day.

I will post up when i find out if it is possible and would have the desired affect.

Kenneth
11-06-2008, 12:37 AM
My understanding of ceramic coatings is not to prevent the coated item from GETTING HOT but to resist the absorption of that heat.

The fact is that with sustained exposure to hot exhaust gasses the coating and the item coated is going to increase in temperature. Assuming a constant gas temperature, the temperature of the coating and item coated is still going to get close to the gas temperature.

However due to the nature of the coating, it should take longer to get to that temperature and should cool down faster.
As a result, more of the exhaust energy is kept in the gas as temperature, which assists rapid evacuation from the exhaust.

If you coat the exhaust housing of the turbo, then you are trying to keep as much exhaust energy hitting the turbine blades as possible by reducing the amount that is lost by the housing. Assuming that your exhaust is able to evacuate the gas in a suitable fashion, the result will be better turbine performance. The fact of the matter however is that once you reach your target boost you bypass the turbine and ditch it all through the wastegate.

Gowf
11-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Very true, the coated exhaust for example as said will keep in the heat and thus have a greater velocity. However, by nature of the coating, the compressor size will resist the absorbtion of the heat generated by the exhaust side.

If you are looking at a comparison as youve said the coated exhaust/turbo should spool quicker than the uncoated. How noticable this is though, i do not know.

Davezj
11-06-2008, 01:29 PM
and it is so easy to up the boost pressure and decrease the spool time, it may not be worth doing coating anyway apart from under bonnet temp. but as they say if you can do it, it would be rude not to. and if it is worth doing, it worth doing right.

if you coated the exhaust side of the turbo would you get an effect of massive heat build up in the casing of the turbo which would migrate to the commpressor side and heat up the inlet air which is not wanted.

or are the exhaust and compressor sides of the turbo insulated from eachother. so it minimises heat transfer. if so would you coat both sides.

on the manifold front, from what has been said above in earlier post you would coat the exhaust manifolds as well. That's what i was going to do anyway.

i suposed it would be better to coat the inside of the maifold and turbo housing to stop the housing heating up at all. but then the turbos are tightly toleranced on the inside to the blades and you wouldn't want to rist any coating flaking off and hitting the blade either.

just some thoughts