PDA

View Full Version : 6a13 n/a engine

zedy1
02-03-2004, 10:55 PM
Do you guys thnk its possible to add two vr4 turbos to the 6a13 n/a engine?

krisby
20-11-2004, 11:08 PM
I was just wondering the same thing.

Normally when adding turbos to a N/A engine you need to reduce the compression ratio, which is obvioulsy quite a lot work. However I am quite confused by the fact that the Turbo and n/a motors both seem to be 6A13, which makes me wonder if the n/a is basically the same engine without turbos, and therefore is already running a low compression ratio, which would explain the slight lack of performance compared to other 2.5L V6, most notably the 6g73 in the diamante.

Hopefully someone else knows, I might even ask how much work it would be to increase the compression, or even drop in a 6g73, though I think they are about $3000NZ just for the engine anyway, let alone fitting.

enigma
20-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Like anything - It could be done, but its probably more hassle than it is worth with the V6 and its space restrictions. Also the parts are far too damn expensive to experiment with! £400 for a pair of head gaskets is taking the pi$$. I reckon you would need custom ones made anyway to reduce the compression ratio.

To be honest I dont think it is worth the money, you could easily spend £3k converting a n/a to turbo. Then you would only have 2WD (ask Zentac how much traction he has!) For the money and the hassle you may as well just buy a VR4 from Keighley Trade Centre!

Now if you think about a 1.8 or 2.0 turbo that is a whole different ball game! Loads of engines out there for spares! :lipsrseal

The Vee
21-11-2004, 02:07 AM
Also different heads are fitted. t/c as opposed to s/c. the ecu has to be considered too.

enigma
21-11-2004, 10:11 AM
The ecu is not a malor problem.......£300 for a piggyback amd you are rolling.

Nick Mann
21-11-2004, 01:45 PM
As BDA says. 2WD. Having had one of each, I miss the traction more than the power.

The VR4 in the wet will out-drag almost anything. The V6 in the wet spins its wheels beautifully, but it don't go anywhere!

krisby
22-11-2004, 06:57 AM
you guys seem to forget that the 6a13 in our cars is also 4WD, not FWD, I would never buy a FWD car, euch!

but apart from that fair enough, I wouldn't actually consider it anyway, just an interesting discussion. In NZ VR4's can be had for same price as low mileage ST25s, which is what I got, alternately I could have got a VR4 for the same price and 90000kms, whereas mine only had 55000kms