PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Drivers side front driveshaft for a manual

Nutter_John
12-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Longs shot I know but just had the delivery date on my new driveshaft , 28th June - which means I will miss Japshow

So have you got a manual drivers side driveshaft available within the next 6 days

will try the usual suspects but I think this is going to be a bitch to find

psbarham
12-06-2008, 07:43 PM
i think there's an auto one here, dunno if they are the same though

Nutter_John
12-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks Paul but there is a difference , what it is we are not sure - have been talking with Nick Mann over the last week about this .

Wodjno
12-06-2008, 08:35 PM
What's the difference ??

Does a manual have a different transfer box ??

peter thomson
12-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Barry spoke about them being slightly different in length in one of his posts I think

Nutter_John
12-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Yep there is a difference , but not sure what , there seems to be a 4-5mm on the inside cup .

Nick Mann
12-06-2008, 10:24 PM
John - I think we may have crossed wires there. The drivers side fits fine. I have my slight gap issue on the passenger (gearbox) side only.

To fill everyone in - Barry found a while ago that the driveshafts were not the same between the auto and manual. See here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10685). I have fitted the manual box to my car and re-used the shafts that were on my car when it was an auto. The gearbox oil seeps from the driveshaft seal on the passenger side, because the green inner CV joint does not appear to slide far enough onto the splines of the shaft exiting through the gearbox housing. So the seal seems to sit nicely in the gearbox, but the CV joint doesn't seem to slide fully into the seal, which means there is oil seepage. Am I making any sense at all? To add insult to injury, I have the shafts from the car that donated the box, but they don't seem to be any different. I can't see a difference when measuring with a ruler, and there is too much of a gap to need more precise measuring!

I have fitted a new seal today, and left it slightly proud of the box - lets see what happens.

The main point of all that waffle, is that I am 90% sure that an auto shaft will fit. John - what's wrong twith the shaft you've got? I have got some bits kicking around, but most of them are well used!

Nutter_John
12-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I only need the outer CV joint , so I did consider doing a swap of the ends from an auto one

Nick Mann
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
I've got a couple of good outers, but the threads for the hub nuts are not quite the right shape anymore. (Large hammers and angry ginger people is not a good combo!)

Anything that helps you is free if you want it? If you're passing, give me a shout.....

Nutter_John
12-06-2008, 10:49 PM
cheers for the offer Nick , i do have an auto one i can try over the weekend , so may just do it

Nick Mann
12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I would. Assuming the splines release from the hub, it's well under an hour anyway. I can get my passenger driveshaft out of the gearbox, re-seat the seeal and put it back in less than half an hour now. Including jacking the car up and taking the wheel off!

Wodjno
12-06-2008, 10:55 PM
cheers for the offer Nick , i do have an auto one i can try over the weekend , so may just do it

I have an outer !

But the thread has been shortened and re-drilled for the split pin /yes

Roberto
13-06-2008, 08:12 AM
I know the one I got from Mo late last year was from an Auto and fitted my Manual, no issues 6 months later.

Can't remember which side it was though, sure a search would throw up that answer.

*Just checked back it was the passenger side from a 2002 Auto, fitted to a 97 Manual.
Again not sure if hte length issue is on only the drivers side or just a phanthom issue.*