PDA

View Full Version : Semi Synthetic Or Fully Synthetic

Bagofsand
03-03-2004, 08:14 AM
according to the dealership i should run on semi synthetic oil. When i do this the tappetts are noisy ran it on fully synthetic and tappets stayed quiet. Has anyone had any probs with fully synthetic. I thought that fully synthetic oil was superior to semi so why do the dealers only recommend semi?

Spirit
03-03-2004, 08:25 AM
I run on fully synthetic all the time and never had an issue ;)

Roadrunner
03-03-2004, 03:34 PM
I would never run a turbo'd car on anything other than fully synthetic because of the turbo temperatures that the oil is required to cool. Mineral-based oils have the capacity to break down under intense heat and deposit carbon on the impeller shaft and blades which, over time, could build up to cause contact between the blades and the housing. Not good :( I've never understood why dealers recommend semi-synthetic oils (although I've read some nonsense about semi-synthetic oils being better at disposing of waste products when running-in an engine).

I believe the correct recommendation is for 5W40 viscosity, although I'm pretty sure my car has been run on Castrol SLX 0W40 for the past two years without any problem. Watch for dealers trying to maximise profit by selling you inferior oil at a premium price :(

Brian

simpsonm
04-03-2004, 02:39 PM
I walked into my local dealers, they have adverts all over for the Mobil 1 oil. I assumed they would use this on my vehicle. Its going in for an interim on 15th March £250ish. For that price they had better use the good stuff.

KiwiTT
04-03-2004, 09:35 PM
I walked into my local dealers, they have adverts all over for the Mobil 1 oil. I assumed they would use this on my vehicle. Its going in for an interim on 15th March £250ish. For that price they had better use the good stuff.

Don't assume .... Ask for it by name. Say "Mobil 1" or whatever synethic. They assume most people do not want to pay too much to maintain their cars.

We in the Club, respect our cars. Give it the best.

simpsonm
06-03-2004, 03:01 PM
I rang them yesterday and questioned them about it. The dealer quoted "The system states we use fully synthetic oil on this type of vehicle, we will use mobil 1 unless you advise us of an alternative". With that I thought cannot complain.

KiwiTT
07-03-2004, 09:53 PM
Simpsonm: Sounds like a good dealer.

If they do a good job mention them by name.