PDA

View Full Version : Another 'which gauges' thread!

elnevio
13-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I know there have been opinions on this subject before, but I am looking at this from my point of view, and what I envisage happening (maybe) in the future.

Firstly, I am looking at a three-gauge setup in the spare DIN slot below my head unit (as I don't want any dash or pillar pods, etc).

The three gauges I intend to get are:

Boost
Oil pressure
ATF temp

At the moment, the car is stock - so I'd like to get the gauges in first, to see how it reads and get some base figures, while I continue to drive around normally, etc.

In the near future, I intend to get a Dawes device installed and gradually (well, in reality will probably be asap!) turn the boost up to approx 12-13PSI. I have a decat pipe on the way from Wodj (although I think it's being sent sea-freight at the moment! :iloveyou: ).

I haven't considered much else power-wise - maybe a freer-flowing exhaust and modified air intake at some point - and a lot further off, perhaps a MAP2 ECU, or something.

So with that lot in mind, those three gauges seem to be the sensible ones for me. AFR would probably be added at MAP2 time - but I'm not sure I'll ever get that far with the mods, and will probably stick to the MBC and decat.

With the base figures in mind, I'll be able to see if there is much difference in the operating ranges (temp and pressure) with the mods, and obviously keep an eye on the boost. The oil pressure and boost should hopefully help me identify potential issues (should they start happening!) before I reach the 'engine/gearbox bang' time.

Thoughts, constructive or otherwise, or welcome!

stuartturbo
13-06-2008, 07:28 PM
You could go straight to a EBC ie apexi, then even if you only use it to
note boost not plumbed in
then plumb it in with better control of boost
map2 ECU etc the use it to monitor or still control boost as mine was

elnevio
13-06-2008, 07:33 PM
The thing with the MBC for me, is the 'leave-it-alone' benefits. I.e. with an EBC, I'd be too tempted to turn it up on the move!

bradc
14-06-2008, 07:06 AM
I think a boost gauge down there is largely useless, you just can't watch it while driving!

I'd do water or oil temp

elnevio
14-06-2008, 09:05 AM
I think a boost gauge down there is largely useless, you just can't watch it while driving!
Sensible point (are you alright brad? :p ), but when on WOT in a straight line, I'd still be able to glance at the gauge.

Anyway, I could put them in the upper DIN slot instead... :P

Food for thought though, cheers!

bradc
14-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Replace the sticker reading boost on the gauge with AWESOMENESS and use it to impress your friends

elnevio
14-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Replace the sticker reading boost on the gauge with AWESOMENESS and use it to impress your friends
:D

I was thinking "SMILE-O-METER(tm)"

and replacing the numbers with things like MILDLY AMUSING, QUITE HILARIOUS and FUNNY AS F***

Or maybe they'd do for the AYC lights!

dickytim
14-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Sensible point (are you alright brad? :p ), but when on WOT in a straight line, I'd still be able to glance at the gauge.

Anyway, I could put them in the upper DIN slot instead... :P

Food for thought though, cheers!

Brad is correct, I have my gauges in the centre consol and they are not very convenient.

pitslayer
15-06-2008, 03:00 PM
ive hidden my boost gauge away.
i dont want boost gauges stuck to my dash. i havnt got double din slot anymore as my screen is there, so i have had to mount it in a secret location, where only i can see it and nobody else, and still function....not sure where im going to mount oil temp and pressure though, i dont like gauges stuck on the dash or infront of me

MarkSanne
17-06-2008, 08:28 AM
I've posted my first 'cloaked' gauges somewhere on here earlier, but although it looked pretty good, I knew it could be improved. And so I did. I use a turboboost gauge, an oilpressure gauge and an oiltemperature gauge.

I started by using the STRI SLM meters (I had previously painted the aluminium surrounding black). This is how they were (from the back):
uploaded/1887/1213684976.jpg

Upfront the STRI SLM meters, behind it my prototype that will go into the Legnum (those are DFI Pro+ SLM meters, same setup, oiltemp/oilpress/turbo) built into a fake leather covered wooden frame I created. By the way: those DFI gauges are not recommended! The brightness varies among them (I corrected that somewhat by using a bit of a black marker on the bright LEDs) but most irritating is the red 'needle' LEDs which are not bright enough during daytime use!.
uploaded/1887/1213685575.jpg

By using the flash on the camera you can see somewhat though the smoked 'glass'.
uploaded/1887/1213685840.jpg

And without the flash you can see... well me actually :)
uploaded/1887/1213685891.jpg

The internals (8 bright white LEDs and 4 bright red LEDs):
uploaded/1887/1213685942.jpg

This is a destructive method to get the gauges out of their housing! Once out, they will stay out as the surround cover holds the glass in place.
uploaded/1887/1213686051.jpg

I've made a little wooden frame that will hold the cups.
uploaded/1887/1213686313.jpg

Trail fitting. In the empty one you can see the rounded of edge from the center gauge hole. I glued the 3 cups in place afterwards.
uploaded/1887/1213686288.jpg

I've used Bison Tix (don't know if it is an international brandname/type, it's a contact glue) to glue a piece of fake leather on to the frame. It's quite clear I didn't get the top very straight, doesn't matter, as the top nor bottom will even been seen once in place.
uploaded/1887/1213686437.jpg

I've cut some of the leather out for the gauges, but kept a good bit there so the gauges will press the leather to the inside so it'll look nice.
uploaded/1887/1213686761.jpg

Gauges put back in their cups. They fit like a glove and compress the excess leather perfect to the inside of the cups.
uploaded/1887/1213686826.jpg

And this is how it's put in place in the clock area. What is not visible (didn't take a picture of it, sorry) is the piece of plexiplass that I've covered with tinting foil (for tinting windows). During daytime the look and colour are 95% equal to the high-contrast dash meters. At night they look good too, but it looks like there is a misty look to it. I think I'll try tinting spray to see how that looks or try to find pre-coloured plexiglass.
uploaded/1887/1213686935.jpg

And a final overview. The oilpressure is the least visible, but the important part (where/when the needle is all the way to the max) can be seen very clearly and that is enough for me. The oiltemps and boost can both be read very clearly from the drivers position. Oh and by the way, as soon as the ignition goes off the gauges are just as invisible as the orginal high-contrast dash. I'm very happy with the results!
uploaded/1887/1213687230.jpg

You do have to cut away some of the internal plastics that are in the clock bay to get this setup to fit, but this can not be seen ofcourse from the outside. I personally like this stealthy setup which is also in a good position as your eyes barely have to move to see / read the gauges.

Ryan
17-06-2008, 08:48 AM
That is the best instalment of gauges I have seen in these cars. It's exactly how I'd like my setup to look one day.

Well done!

elnevio
17-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Cheers Mark!

I'd previously seen your first set-up on a different thread, but not the handiwork behind it. This is something that I might be willing to have a go at, as I previously thought it might be a lot harder (uh oh, famous last words...).

Did you use the old clock as a template at all, and I assume these are 52mm gauges?

This set-up definitely suits my stealthy requirements, so thinking cap now on!

:thumbsup:

miller
17-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Mark,

They look absolutely brilliant!

Next question, dont suppose you made a template for the plate and 52mm gauges? if you did will it be available to others and will there be a cost?

Cheers

Mike

MarkSanne
17-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Cheers Mark!

I'd previously seen your first set-up on a different thread, but not the handiwork behind it. This is something that I might be willing to have a go at, as I previously thought it might be a lot harder (uh oh, famous last words...).

Did you use the old clock as a template at all, and I assume these are 52mm gauges?

This set-up definitely suits my stealthy requirements, so thinking cap now on!

:thumbsup:

First of all: Thanks!

Yes these are 52mm gauges. I didn't use the clock as a template as I don't have it anymore. Would have been easier (and even more precise) though!

MarkSanne
17-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Mark,

They look absolutely brilliant!

Next question, dont suppose you made a template for the plate and 52mm gauges? if you did will it be available to others and will there be a cost?

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I still have the prototype frame for the gauges that will go into my Legnum that I could use as a template. I could simply put it under my PC scanner so anyone can print it out in original size to have a template? Or if someone wants it any other way, I'm sure I can help, just let me know.

dickytim
17-06-2008, 07:43 PM
well done this look excellent, I love it !!!

d i c k i e s
17-06-2008, 11:06 PM
yes, i think i said before in another thread... awesome, very stealth!!

Nice But
17-06-2008, 11:56 PM
Mark - looks good Bud well done.

Nev - have a look at the PLX system, one guage does all.

Here (http://www.plxdevices.com/index.html) I'm probably going to use one of these, not a lover of pillar mounts but for a boost guage it has to be a must, this puppy will show all devices connected...... my thoughts are:

Boost
Wideband/AFR
EGT
Oil pressure and temp

In that order.....:happy: not cheap but will do what I want. Just get a MAP2 they are awesome. I'll see how she goes down the strip at Rotorstock - for info Ben got mine to 12.5psi before knock gets to high..... 310hp /rally at flywheel.

pitslayer
18-06-2008, 03:12 AM
will that work Tim? it says its for OBDII, where our cars are mutII?

elnevio
18-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Nick Mann has the PLX gauge - very nice! A future possibility maybe...

SHOWVR
19-06-2008, 04:33 AM
I have 60mm gauges in my car in a custom piilar mount. Boost, Oil pressure and Oil temp. In the near furture I will get the water temp put in the boost place and relocate the boost above the steering wheel. This is still the ideal place for gauges in my opinion as its dir ectly in my line of sight and i dont have take to turn my head to take a quick peak.