PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Legnum GDI on the way

Grinder
03-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi guys, I have a Legnum 1800 GDI on the way from Japan. I know its not a VR-4, but I was wondering if I can get opinions or help from here?

If you know of a better forum, let me know!

Anyone know what the big LCD is in the middle of the dash.

http://www.timr.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/legnum_F_small.jpg
http://www.timr.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/legnum_R_small.jpg
http://www.timr.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/legnum_I_small.jpg

Cheers,

Nick Mann
03-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Welcome! This is the best place to come with a Galant!

The bit in the dashboard is a MMCS system. It will plot your course round Tokyo, control the tunes and the temperature! Unfortunately, it is all in Japanese.

Alternatively it is your key to another members heart. (Ain't that right Kieran!)

Hope you enjoy it.

Kieran
03-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Absolutely, this is your best stop for anything to do with the 8G Galant, be it a VR-4, a UK model or anything else!

Looking at the pictures of your car, would I be correct in saying it's a Galant VR-G Touring?

The LCD in the middle of the dash is indeed the MMCS. To explain:

The MMCS (Mitsubishi Multi Communication System), is a LCD touchscreen that controls several functions of the car. It controls the Radio, CD changer, Aircon and has built-in SatNav. Some MMCS systems have TV support too.

The bad bit is that it was only ever fitted in Japan. This means that the system is in japanese only. This creates several usability problems... You can't read what's on the screen (it's all in japanese), the TV does not work (The Japanese TV is broadcast on different wavelengths and uses the NTSC standard) and whilst the sat nav can still give you a GPS lock-on with Longitude and Lattitude information, it only has support for Japanese Maps, so it's pretty useless!!

A company called ProTech claims to be able to convert the units, however no-one on here has tried them or knows what the process involves. The conversion also costs about £1000!!! The website is below if you want more info...

http://www.protech-uk.co.uk/imp_apps.htm

Now, Nick said it may be the key to another member's heart... Well, I actually WANT one of these systems in my car. If you're a techical bod, it would be interesting to see if the standard climate control unit and radio can be fitted in place of the MMCS... But that's just an idea if you're bothered!

And finally.... Welcome to Club VR-4! :-D :welcome:

Spirit
03-03-2004, 06:20 PM
.....after such a detailed reply from Kieran all that's left for me to say is welcome to CVR4 ;) :-D

SGHOM
03-03-2004, 06:34 PM
conversion also costs about £1000!!! :
correction Kieran !!! £1300 + VAT for the sat nav, & £650 + VAT for the TV !!!
sat nav, I'm not too bothered about, but the Tv ???? watch this space !!! :-D :-D

enigma
03-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi and welcome!

Two words.......well accronyms.......BDA MMCS

Kieran
03-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi and welcome!

Two words.......well accronyms.......BDA MMCS

Big Dave Akers Mostly Mediocre Communication System.... :p :-D

Grinder - do a search and you'll see Big Dave's take on an MMCS replacement... It's good, but I prefer the original... But then I would, wouldn't I! ;)

enigma
03-03-2004, 07:05 PM
OR JUST CLICK HERE!!! (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2442&highlight=mmcs+replacement)

Grinder
03-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Maybe I now know why the car was cheap (assuming under 400,000 Y is cheap of course).

In my experience the Japanese factory audio systems are not that good, so I was planning to replace that anyway. But I need to the Air Con.

As for whether I want to swap it for a standard unit, Kieran, I think I will look into some options (including learning some Japanese) :) . Might be a different answer in 6 months though!

Oh yes, and the car is a lowly 1800cc GDI ST, although its fully loaded and its got what looks like a hooge sunroof (electric of course) :D . Sorry, easily excited!

Bigdave, if you can include controlling the kit in your installation, I might be interested!

Nick Mann
03-03-2004, 09:51 PM
I don't think BDA is marketing his system yet! Kieran wants you to change yours so he can try and nab it! The problem appears to be controlling the air con, as the non MMCS cars have different shaped holes for the controls. Come and join us at a meet and you will see the differences - you could even swap consoles with Kieran!

When do you pick your car up?

Kieran
03-03-2004, 10:12 PM
I don't think BDA is marketing his system yet! Kieran wants you to change yours so he can try and nab it! The problem appears to be controlling the air con, as the non MMCS cars have different shaped holes for the controls. Come and join us at a meet and you will see the differences - you could even swap consoles with Kieran!

When do you pick your car up?

The hole isn't a problem. You can just get a UK-spec centre console fascia from a dealers or a breakers. The problem may be with the wiring... I imagine, given my experience of MMCS cars so far, that the MMCS - equipped cars will have a custom (and therefore non-interchangeable) loom. But I've not had the opportunity to check this out!
Mmmmm.... Might be time to get one of the workshop manuals for the JDM cars from Yahoo Japan Auctions....

And there's no use swapping consoles with my GLS... The GLS has manual aircon and rotary heater controls... there's no Climate control! :noshake:

Nick Mann
03-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Kieran, the suggestion was not entirely serious! But I would have thought that the climate loom would be the same regardless of the controller? I realise yours will be different, but it seems daft to change the wiring to the temp sensors and actuators/motors on the air flow. I would guess that there is extra cabling for the satnav, but the stereo and climate cabling would be the same. I'm a little intrigued, but not as much as you!

Grinder
04-03-2004, 11:39 AM
Feeling a bit disheartened, what I thought was a cool feature looks like it might be a problem.

But I reckon the air conditioning & audio will be decipherable, with a little help from one of the Japanese guys on another forum I subscribe to!

Technically speaking, if its climate there will obviously be wiring & inputs for temperature sensors not present on the aircon-only model.

I've contacted protech for information on what they can do (and how much!) (thanks for that link Kieran). And yes I spotted he was hoping for a swapsy :p.

Car arrives mid April but we should get the documents from Japan any day now, so we get in before the 31st March regulations take effect.

Nick Mann
04-03-2004, 02:13 PM
How cool the gadget is depends on your viewpoint, I think. Don't be disheartened, you'll enjoy messing with it even if you end up changing it! There is a translated manual available for it somewhere - I'm sure Kieran can say where.

Many galants without the MMCS have climate control which is why I think that if you do change it all round the wiring shouldn't be a problem. I don't know that it's just a guess.

One last thing, what are the 31st March regulations?

Grinder
04-03-2004, 02:33 PM
My understanding is that from the 31st March the 'ESVA' rules for imported cars mean that grey imports will require a 'model report' from that date.

The model reports are generated by UK importers, and are being developed vehicle-by-vehicle at great expense.

Basically, anything after this date will have to be a vehicle with a model report, and be 'as original factory spec' or 'returned to original factory spec' or it will be uneconmic to import it.

This is a clumsy explanation, but hopefully you get the point.

Yeah I think I will have fun trying to decypher the MMCS. :D

KiwiTT
04-03-2004, 09:42 PM
Yeah I think I will have fun trying to decypher the MMCS. :D

Save time, these Guys (http://www.jpnz.co.nz/home.html) have a manual for the MMCS.

Grinder
04-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Save time, these Guys (http://www.jpnz.co.nz/home.html) have a manual for the MMCS.

You beauty! Thanks - I will order one of those!

Grinder
04-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Also available from http://www.car-handbooks.com guys, and on ebay.

Thanks for the lead, KiwiTT.