PDA

View Full Version : Which suspension?

Roadrunner
16-06-2008, 11:52 AM
I guess my Knockhill session recently has finally killed the suspension on my VR-4 /pan as it's needing two rear shockers and one of the front springs is broken so ... :thinking: given that this is now likely to become a dedicated track car, which suspension would you recommend I go for?

TIA, Brian :)

Nutter_John
16-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Tein super wagon GT

Wodjno
16-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Can highly recomend Tanabe Sustec Pro's /yes

Gowf
16-06-2008, 12:08 PM
If you are devoting it to a track car then your not at all worried about ride comfort. If this is the case then its all dependant on your budget.
If you want the best that money can buy then proflex all the way!
If you dont want to spend 1000-1500 per corner then there are other manufacturers like avo for example that do shocks with remote nitrogen reseviours.
If you want to go much more on a budget, lets say under a grand, then the tein stuff is pretty decent, but ditch the springs that come with them and get yourself some harder springs. Springs arn't expensive, theres loads of manufacturers out there that make 2" or 2.5"(cant remember what the diameter is) springs at whatever spring rate and length you want.

Kieran
16-06-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd second the Tein GT coilovers - as Gowf says, ride isn't so important and they're adjustable for height, preload and damping, they're EDFC compatible and they come with 8KG springs which gives you a good, firm spring (Standards are 3.6kg F, 1.5~2.7kg R) but without being so stiff that the car tramlines and hops about all over the place (and you'll be able to drive it to and from knockhill without needing back surgery!). And as Gowf says, you can always buy extra coils to make them even stiffer.

White Lightning
16-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I've got the Tein Super Wagons coilovers. They are designed a compromise between fast road and track use (whereas the GT is designed for more track use only). I was very pleased with them during my recent Castle Combe outing /yes

Roadrunner
16-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll investigate the Tein route.

Gowf: Thanks, but if I was going to spend £1500 a corner, it wouldn't be on a VR-4 ;)

Gowf
16-06-2008, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll investigate the Tein route.

Gowf: Thanks, but if I was going to spend £1500 a corner, it wouldn't be on a VR-4 ;)

I know, it is a little ridiculous, and you dont really need to spend that unless your entering serious competition.

I must say though, i have spent £1000 on front suspension for a £50 205GTi before!

Roadrunner
16-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks Gowf, but I'll just be using it on track to have some fun and to take the pi$$ out of much more expensive machinery, but in a non-competitive, friendly, amusing kind of way :evilgrin: :D