PDA

View Full Version : How about a detailing (car cleaning) section on Club VR4?

HMG1K
16-06-2008, 09:03 PM
How about we get a detailing section up on ClubVR4...? :inquisiti

With so many great jobs Don is doing on member's cars - and the interest in the whole clean, polish and shine of our cars, perhaps it's something the committee may want to consider..?! :happy:

White Lightning
16-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I definately think it is worth considering. I am sure our resident committee detailer (aka Kieran) will have an opinion on this ...

Kieran
16-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Mmmmm, you see, I'm not so sure.... I can only think of a few name (Me, Wayne, Throbbe, Don and Scottish Ian) who would use it - And I guess also we've got CVR4 cars for posting your 'Shiny' pics.

I'm not against the idea, I'm just not convinced it'd get used? What say the rest of you?

ANTHONY
16-06-2008, 10:08 PM
i think its a good idea so all reference to detailing can be put into 1 place

Throbbe
16-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm with Kieran on this one. Nothing worse than having sub-forums that don't get used, and I'm not convinced that there's the demand for it.

I'd always steer anyone that really wanted to learn towards the Detailing World forum (in particular Dave KG's guides), but I'm happy to answer queries when I can.

Unless those not suffering from OCD are offended by posts in the usual sections, I'd say keep it there.

White Lightning
16-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm with you in all honesty Kieran ... I just thought it was worth consideration before we dismissed the idea.

I have the same feeling that it won't get used enough to justify it.

The Vee
18-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I think perhaps that the section "Customising your VR4" would suffice. Tis a nice idea, I agree, but at the end of the day, we had the same idea for "ICE" which is also in the same section.

AncientOfMu
18-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree that it doesnt need its own section.

thats why I post in the random section.

people can look if they want or ignore if they want.

Again people are free to pm me and ask questions or through the general forum.

The only reason i keep posting threads up is because people seem to be interested in them....

White Lightning
18-06-2008, 05:15 PM
The only reason i keep posting threads up is because people seem to be interested in them....

/yes

Definately, and please continue to do so ...

MikeKey
18-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I was going to suggest something similar, maybe an article on the finer points of Galant/Legnum detailing, rather than on doing the detailing itself.

I'm thinking of stuff like removing the rear lights (which I've seen AncientOfMu do) and other stuff that will make things easier/result in a better job when cleaning/polishing/detailing our particular cars.

What say you? :happy:

AncientOfMu
18-06-2008, 06:49 PM
I was going to suggest something similar, maybe an article on the finer points of Galant/Legnum detailing, rather than on doing the detailing itself.

I'm thinking of stuff like removing the rear lights (which I've seen AncientOfMu do) and other stuff that will make things easier/result in a better job when cleaning/polishing/detailing our particular cars.

What say you? :happy:

Sounds like a good idea I'll see if I can put a guide together. :scholar:

Big Ian
18-06-2008, 08:28 PM
:speechles what! i thought removing the light's and cleaning behind them was just standard practice .. hehe:happy:
yeah i agree with the like's of Kieran & other CVR4 detailer's adding post's to let folk know what areas they have found to be "dirt collecting" area's, the bit's that some folk may over look while cleaning there car's?

as for a detailing section? .. that's realy what the detailing forum's are for? http://www.detailingworld.co.uk

Nevman
18-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I'd use it !
Currently I only do wash and polish which is not really enough so good "cleaning/polishing/detailing manual" would be very handy.
My 2p

The Vee
18-06-2008, 09:09 PM
/yes

Definately, and please continue to do so ...

As the man says, certainly don't want to discourage that!

miller
18-06-2008, 10:31 PM
some good tips to pick up for the mere mortals for whom the detailingforum would be ten steps too far! I agree, please dont stop posting.

Sidetracking a bit, but nearly on topic as detailing will involve lots of pics, which CVR4 sub forums dont allow direct photo links to save on uploading pics direct to the site? just for future reference as i know some do and some dont.

Mike

The Vee
18-06-2008, 11:33 PM
TBH we like the pics uploaded to the site as it prevents the inevitable broken links etc as time goes on. It is obviously something we do keep an eye on with regard to server space etc.

bradc
19-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Might as well make a cleaning section, if it doesn't take off in 3 months, just merge it with another forum. Personally I'd have some questions that I would ask in there.

Ryan
19-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Might as well make a cleaning section, if it doesn't take off in 3 months, just merge it with another forum. Personally I'd have some questions that I would ask in there.

Me too.

Big Ian
19-06-2008, 10:20 AM

/Hmmm there's a man talkin sense ;)

Throbbe
19-06-2008, 11:45 AM
How about starting with a cleaning Q&A thread and seeing if it generates enough interest to start a whole forum. Less admin work.

I'm happy to start something (although currently balancing a baby on my left arm, so can't type fast).

OK, done it. Detailing thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=342742#post342742)

Scanny
22-06-2008, 09:46 AM
why not start a thread on it, let it run for a while then extract the useful information and transfer it to a sticky for reference?

im just thinking that there can only be so much information to be gained on cleaning a car so once it is all available, turn it into a reference sticky instead of people searching through pages and pages of questions and answers looking for the information they are after

Throbbe
22-06-2008, 09:04 PM
im just thinking that there can only be so much information to be gained on cleaning a car so once it is all available, turn it into a reference sticky instead of people searching through pages and pages of questions and answers looking for the information they are after

Could we then rope all the information on automotive tuning into a single thread. That would be pretty handy. ;)

That said, the links at the beginning of the detailing Q&A thread will give more info than most want to know, and anyone that wants to get seriously into it will find the detailing forums the place to pick up info.