PDA

View Full Version : Ball Joint

Nicky123
17-06-2008, 02:27 AM
Failed Warrant today due to play in both ball joints. Managed to get Pitstop to jack it up on a hoist and it appears to be the straight arm ball jopints that are wiggly. Had a couple of quotes, $150 + GST from my garage, and $120+ GST from Pit Stop. Couple of questions;

1) Is this reasonable.
2) What is part numbers so I can try and get some myself.
3) How much labour involved, Pit stop 1.5 a side, the garage said 2 total.

I am not in the position to do it myself due to lack of tools and knowhow.

Any information would be helpful.

orionn2o
17-06-2008, 08:32 AM
All you really need is a ball joint splitter and a few sockets. (Plus a decent jack and some way of supporting the car).

The job is quite easy. If you sign up to membership I think there is a guide on how to do it yourself.

Failing that , its a reasonably quick job. I would say 2 total is quite respectable for a garage to do, perhaps even a little long since they have all the correct tools and the ability to lift the car!

ianturbo
17-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Make sure it is the straight ones i checked mine and changed them and it was the bent ones !/pan /pan
ian

Subaru ETA
17-06-2008, 11:26 AM
is that parts and labour?? the joints come as a whole arm and they are like $100 in themselves! wait im guessing thats just parts. that sounds about right.

you can do them in an hhour all up if you are going for it...they are piss easy. however a workshop is going to charge more to make sure they are covered if it goes wrong.

find out what there charge out rates are. you could actuaaly do it youself. you dont need a spliter aslong as you are proficient with a hammer!

but yeah, id say the garages labour rate is about right. so to work out which one is cheaper you will have to find out the charge out rates

Nicky123
24-06-2008, 09:51 PM
All sorted and warranted. $424.00, not too bad. But it was just the straight arms.
Steering feels a bit vague and a lot of road noise from the tyres so I will need a wheel alignment ASAP.
Mechanic says it is a porr design, and he has replaced loads of Legnum lower suspension arms.
Is the face lift suspension different? And, is it possible to upgrade?

Nick Mann
24-06-2008, 10:08 PM
It's all the same. But later versions were designed slightly differently, I believe, to stop dirt ingress into the ball joint. You should now have the later design? Or at least someones copy of it...

Nicky123
01-07-2008, 03:44 AM
All Aligned now, and driving like a dream. I love this car.
One concern though. The Camber is out, and the fella at Firestone(d) said that there is no Camber adjustment.
So, questions is, how do we adjust camber?
You track guys must have an idea.

Subaru ETA
01-07-2008, 06:45 AM
front or rear camber? is your car lowered?

the is a camber mod for the rear in the members section.

not too sure about the front tho...there maybe a camber kit available aftermarket??

Gly
01-07-2008, 07:06 AM
its in the members section too, both guides done by me.

Nicky123
01-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Sweet, I will join.
Did the NZ registration form get sorted?

Nicky123
01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
front or rear camber? is your car lowered?

the is a camber mod for the rear in the members section.

not too sure about the front tho...there maybe a camber kit available aftermarket??

Front Camber, if it is lowered it is not by much, suspension is pretty hard so I think there has been an upgrade (I hope) by a previous owner.