PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Ps Rack And Inner Lower Arm Bush

1hotvr4
17-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Took car for WOF today and faild coz of minor things.

1. Stop Bulb needs replacing
2. Little play in the front right wheel ( Bolt needs to be tightend)
3. Some power steering rack leaking ( ANYONE GOT ONE OF THESE)
4. L/H side front lower arm inner bush broken ( ANYONE GOT ONE OF THESE?)

Ryan
17-06-2008, 08:08 PM
The power steering rack leak was one of the problems mine had when I first bought it. It cost about $800 and 5 days work for MMC Simon Lucas to repair.

1hotvr4
17-06-2008, 09:59 PM
S#@t i hope thats not really the problem i have.

Subaru ETA
18-06-2008, 06:37 AM
yeah thats how much an overhaul usually costs but 5 days? thats abit crazy!!! try a wrecker. and the bush comes with the arm at the cost of just over $100

1hotvr4
18-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Mistake made by WOF person its not the rack thats leaking its the undertray, got a tiny whole in it, probably after loading and unloading the engine and pushing it around. However will need a boot for the steering rack as old rubber has split in two.

1hotvr4
18-06-2008, 05:21 PM
can bush be purchased without lower arm??

Gly
18-06-2008, 08:16 PM
only if you buy a complete bushing kit from the states, around $270USD

to get one made, and fitted to the arm, around the $100 mark.

1hotvr4
19-06-2008, 02:38 AM
Pick a Part it is then

Subaru ETA
19-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Mistake made by WOF person its not the rack thats leaking its the undertray, got a tiny whole in it, probably after loading and unloading the engine and pushing it around. However will need a boot for the steering rack as old rubber has split in two.

what do you mean by the undertray bit?

rack boot you are looking at around $20.

do you know how to check ball joints? because if you get a lower arm from pick a part the ball joint could be worn

1hotvr4
19-06-2008, 08:10 AM
my mistake again, there was excess of the power steering fluid underneath the car after the leak from the pipe that was fixed later on and the power steering boot was split in two which caused the power steering fluid to drip inside the boot making it look as if the power steering rack was leaking. I have wiped down everething and finds out power steering rack is not leaking at all, i just need to replace the boot which is what ill do tomorrow. As for the lower arm, on the side further from the wheel the bush looks cracked and arm is not alligned in the middle, but instead is pushed to one side. The lower arm itself is fine, its the bush thingie that i need to replace so that lower am will be aligned to the right position again. Apart from that i need to tighten up the bolt that holds the power steering rack and F/R wheel together as there is a little play in the wheel.

Subaru ETA
19-06-2008, 08:20 AM
if you are going to go second hand on the bush you will beed to replace the whole arm.

to get the bush out you will need to press it out, which you cant do at pick a part and you will destroy it anyway. so thats why you will need to replace the whole arm anyway

1hotvr4
21-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Im off to repco tomorrow to pick up new bush for the lower arm and then will finally get WOF in monday and at least be road legal

bradc
21-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Hey Stan, back inside now, get the BOV sorted?

Gly
21-06-2008, 08:04 AM
not entirely sure which arm/bush you on about,

but you may find you cant just buy a single bush and just replace it,
most of the bushes on our cars are a press fit,

you either buy a new arm,
or get a suspension shop make and fit a custom one.

1hotvr4
21-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey Brad yeah got the BOV sorted, but gave it back ryt away as not only it wasnt loud at all, but it was about a third the size of my stock bov. And GLY Im talking about the lower arm on the legnum in the front thelowest one that looks like a bone and is connected by two bushes on either side. Bush on one side has cracked making the lower arm shift to one side and not be in the center, i went to repco and they said it will cost $78 for the new bush.

Subaru ETA
21-06-2008, 11:30 PM
you will have to take it to a shop to get done because as carsten said, its a press fit

1hotvr4
22-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Have replaced the bush on lower arm this afternoon, did not have to take it to the shop as it is not that hard of a job. If anyone is going to do it in the future, without having to take it to the garage ill give you some tips on how to.