PDA

View Full Version : That Annoying little ayc light

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Today is day 11 of owning a vr4 and today i had my first pronlem (well possibly) i was merrily flinging my vr4 round some lovely country lanes near my home using up the worlds precious resources for my own entertainment and happily watching the the three little ayc lights go up and down when all of a sudden there was a nasty red ayc light and going round corners like a bat of out hell suddenly became alot more taxing!!!
so at the moment this little red ayc is coming on and going off as it pleases and i am assuming that if it's not already problem it soon will be
i am also assuming as it such a fun bit of the car it also going to be an expensive bit!!! are they fixable or do they need replacing?
please help i want to go back to thraping my vr4 round corners soon really soon!!!!

Wodjno
19-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Today is day 11 of owning a vr4 and today i had my first pronlem (well possibly) i was merrily flinging my vr4 round some lovely country lanes near my home using up the worlds precious resources for my own entertainment and happily watching the the three little ayc lights go up and down when all of a sudden there was a nasty red ayc light and going round corners like a bat of out hell suddenly became alot more taxing!!!
so at the moment this little red ayc is coming on and going off as it pleases and i am assuming that if it's not already problem it soon will be
i am also assuming as it such a fun bit of the car it also going to be an expensive bit!!! are they fixable or do they need replacing?
please help i want to go back to thraping my vr4 round corners soon really soon!!!!

Check you Fluid levels and colours would be a start /yes

Cheapest and easiest 1st..

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 07:45 PM
the guy i brought it off had it serviced new fluids all round at a dealership so im hoping thats all okay

Wodjno
19-06-2008, 07:47 PM
the guy i brought it off had it serviced new fluids all round at a dealership so im hoping thats all okay

I would still check them /yes

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 07:51 PM
cool know the bit where i sound like an idot how where and what am i looing at?

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 07:55 PM
do they do a haynes type manual for these things?

Wodjno
19-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Try here for starters: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23948

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 08:00 PM
right thats a looks alittle scary to me
can anyone recomend a good garage in the midlands

Wodjno
19-06-2008, 08:03 PM
right thats a looks alittle scary to me
can anyone recomend a good garage in the midlands

NO u miss understand !

I'm ust pointing you to where the AYC fluid resovoir is.. So you can check the level /yes

And if your in the Midlands area ? Then contact Nick Mann if you need any assistance /yes

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 08:06 PM
coolies ty
will check in the am on my way to work
thanks for the help

TAR
19-06-2008, 08:10 PM
In the boot behind a little cover is the AYC fluid resevour. Unscrew the cap and check the level on the attached dipstick. Also check that its a lovely red colour. If its low or going brown, it needs replacing. Send a PM to Nutter John, if you want the car checked over and we can get it up on a ramp if needs be.

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 08:20 PM
so is the most likely cause of the problem or just the most obvious and easiest to check? i'm gonna go look now because i really want to get this fixed

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 08:30 PM
right just checked the level and colour;
level between half and three quarters in a cold system been sat for about two hours
colours definitely not red more of a golden yellow or orange but clear with no deposits visable

Physician
19-06-2008, 08:34 PM
level between half and three quarters in a cold system been sat for about two hours
colours definitely not red more of a golden yellow or orange but clear with no deposits visable

Ummmm, I just wonder if some muppet has filled the AYC reservoir with the wrong fluids :inquisiti

bradc
19-06-2008, 08:34 PM
what colour is it if you drop it onto a piece of paper?

Wodjno
19-06-2008, 08:35 PM

Best way to show the colour is to wipe the dipstick on a piece of white kitchen roll... It's hard to see colour on dipstick as its a goldy, brass colour.. post up pics if u can...

peter thomson
19-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Sounds like it needs to be changed as it should be a nice red colour especially if all the fluids had just been changed. Looks like they missed that one

Wodjno
19-06-2008, 08:36 PM

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 08:37 PM
onto paper it it's still that orangy colour and im assuming i checked the right thing small black container off side in front of the rear light cluster?

Nick Mann
19-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Always available to help!

The stick itself is a kind of gold in the reservoir. So that could make the red fluid look orange.

There are many threads about this - but as a summary:

There are three fluids in the rear diff. 2 x ATF and 1 x gear oil. The fluid you can check in the boot is the hydraulic system. The ATF in the diff is the clutch pack fluid and the gear oil is for the gears themselves. A rear diff fluid change takes less than 1 litre of atf and gear oil. The hydraulic system requires a bit more.

The light is probably indicative of a lack of pressure in the AYC system, which could be low fluid or incorrect fluid or very deteriorated fluid. It is more likely to be a pressure switch becoming defective, or the pump wearing to the point it can't quite create the pressure the switch needs to switch. An uprated pressure switch will get you out of either of these problems, as it is adjustable for the pressure that your pump can achieve. If you waqnt one of these, contact MPBVR4.

I can, of course, check/change the fluids for you or change the switch if you need me to. :D

Pastor of Muppets
19-06-2008, 08:46 PM
could you nick? that would be a massive bonus i'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to anything more than driving or changing wheels/ lights!!

bradc
19-06-2008, 08:47 PM
hmm, it shouldn't be orange. Do you have the invoice from when the fluid was changed with the oils named on it?

But as Nick said, the light is most likely saying that the pressure is too low. Putting in the correct oil is definately the first step, after that you need to hunt down a switch from Malcolm.

Kieran
19-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Regarding the 'Orange' fluid - That's the colour that ATF fluid goes when it's tired, but not contaminated. It happens in the power steering system too. It's the first stage of degredation.

Nick's covered the rest. :scholar:

MPBVr4
20-06-2008, 10:31 AM
If you need a switch by all means pm me.

Firstly I would get Nick to do a complete oil service on the rear axle. Dealers, even Mitsi dealers aren't known for doing the job properly. Just done mine with Amsoil. Having thought for the last 2 months I was getting tyre rubbage on the rear arches when pressing on, changed the oils including clutch pack, now silent even with 3 bars up.

stuey
20-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I got a groaning sound from the rear diff and the red AYC light coming up when I first got my VR4, even though it 'alledgedly' had just been fully serviced. Turned out the fluids needed changing and been fine since...... Get Nick on the case is the best start...

Davezj
20-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I would have post up and answer to this if i had been a bit quicker, but you have all the correct info you need.

a lot of good advice going out to the noobie

That's what i like about this club evryone is so nice and willing to help.

Nice one guys.

Pastor of Muppets
21-06-2008, 03:32 PM
this is truely great club thanks muchly for all the good advice. and bonus kudos to nick i'll be down to see you shortly

brettney19
21-06-2008, 04:13 PM
I got a groaning sound from the rear diff and the red AYC light coming up when I first got my VR4, even though it 'alledgedly' had just been fully serviced. Turned out the fluids needed changing and been fine since...... Get Nick on the case is the best start...

I have that same noise at the moment! I don't get a red light though... Might get the garage to do this as its in there already.