PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust advice 4 good sound???

nz_vr4_nz
05-03-2004, 03:25 AM
Hi im after advice on what type (brand, type etc) will give the VR4 a good roar sound, performance isnt a biggy 4 me because im happy with the standard performance...Im a real newbie to exhaust jargon

or will addding a pod filter give it a better soound?

tunes
05-03-2004, 04:00 AM
You can't go past a full RSR ExMag 2 Muffler and exhaust kit. Had this on my VR-4 and i haven't heard of another that gets such a great noise from the car. Obviously without the silencer in it is above the legal limit but i managed to avoid getting stopped during the 7 months i had it running.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/368000-368999/368070_10_full.jpg

Can't see it too well but this is the best picture i have of it.

tunes
05-03-2004, 04:16 AM
ps. im sure any of the NZ members who made it to the 2nd meet and heard me take off will agree, i think :D

nz_vr4_nz
05-03-2004, 04:32 AM
yeah but I want something that wont get me in trouble with the law and will pass a warrent but still sound good any other options???how do u cope tunes? is the silincer in full time? and I if have to have a silence is it worth it at all to get a exhaust mod if all im after is the sound?

MunkyWrench
21-03-2006, 05:51 AM
i too want a good burble, and roar on the power. currently i have some RS cat back system that drooooones like mad. The wagon body probably doesnt help. Its quiet at idle, but any right foot pressure at all and its a loud booming in the car that is pretty constant regardless of how much gas u give it.

It sounds ok from outside the car, not great tho. The lovely burble only jsut gets heard.

I'm gonna get the cat taken out and another bullet in the muffler and see if that helps.

Anyone know about the o2 sensor after the cat? I think I need to fool the computer into thinking that the cat is A O K, like they do on GTO's.

Is it worth getting new downpipes made up at all or not?

Gly
21-03-2006, 06:29 AM
o2 is befor the cat.. no need to fool anything, just unplug it

dont think downpipes are worth it unless you wanna take the car far and mod the hell outa it

Xeroid
22-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Mines got a nice noiseI think, it triggers off a few alarms as I drive round the car park, is that good ?
4.5" back from the cat then Mitsi put a new muffler on when I bought it.
Drones a wee bit at just above 2000 rpm but at 100k it sounds sweet.
I'll check to see if there is a name on it. Sound is legal and it ain't too raucous.