PDA

View Full Version : Strut brace upgrade and opinons

scc
21-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Since trying out strut brace from one the fastest vr4s for a couple of weeks(Wodjnos) here my conclusions:

* Does it make a difference?
- Yes, you'll notice the difference immediately, but you notice less of it as time goes on and you take it for granted.

* What's the difference?
- Handling has improved. Cornering feels tight and road holding
- You feel more in control of the car
- When pulling out to over take, seems more in control and sharp
- It feels like you need to turn less to get a bigger and 'faster' turn than before
- Car feels 'sharp' almost like you can 'point' the car and then 'go'
- Car feels safe, solid, and I dare say quieter!

* Would I recommend it?
- oh yes!
- A definite smiles on face because the handling feels so nice and sharp now, and driving feels safer
- Engine bay looks great!

I'd say with this addition the car should be renamed "The V6 Sportier!"

cheers,
scc

bradc
21-06-2008, 05:57 AM
So just to confirm, this is the stock strut brace that goes at the top of the front suspension towers, not a rear or lower one?

scc
21-06-2008, 07:25 AM
So just to confirm, this is the stock strut brace that goes at the top of the front suspension towers, not a rear or lower one?
yep, front top stock :)

cheers,

scc

N9nebar
22-06-2008, 10:35 AM
i was thinking of some form of strut brace for mine, this sounds encouraging.but i was wondering i know you can get a front lower strut but can you get a rear lower strut?
"edit: its ok , excuse my ignorance i just found out rear lower struts don't exist"

Physician
22-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Interesting what you say scc .........

I didn't have a strut brace on my VR4 when I bought it. I used to track my car quite regularly ....... very high speed cornering etc.

When I eventually found a strut brace for sale, and fit it, I didn't notice one iota difference on the road nor track :thinking:

HJM
22-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Can't speak for the VR4 as always tracked with the standard front brace.

Fitted a Carbing brace to my Supra after several trackdays.
These braces are definitely one of the best you can buy as fully welded aluminium and hence no potential flexing from bolted joints.

Normal road driving has no benefit, but on the limit on track there is definitely a more positive feel and improves cornering abilities.

Compared to the Supra the outside edge tyre wear on the VR4 is far greater and hence I would imagine tracking a VR4 without a brace would costs you dearly in rubber !

H

Big Ian
22-06-2008, 09:41 PM
when i fitted one yrs N yrs ago to my GLS TBH i didn't notice any change, but when i took it of about 6 wk's later just to see if it did work .. hell-yeah it made a difference took me 2min's to put it back on :D

talking of my old GLS .. it's just changed hand's again, found out the other night a young guy in my mate's street bought it for £1500 (good money for a 1998 GLS .. "not your usual GLS")

ANTHONY
22-06-2008, 09:53 PM
and dont forget to tell your insurance co

Spirit
22-06-2008, 09:53 PM
and dont forget to tell your insurance co

Indeed......let us know how much they add to the premium

g6acb
22-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I have had a VR4 upper strut brace on and off my car (2.0 16v FWD) a few times and it does make a difference to the handling - it does turn in a bit tighter and understeers slightly less (allthough still suffers from understeer..... and, if you bottle out of it, lift off oversteer--- but its all very predictable

the only down side is that it does seem to crash and bang over potholes a bit more

N9nebar
22-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know of any manufacturers who make strut braces for the legnum/galant ?

peter thomson
22-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Cusco and Greddy and a few others . You can see a few different ones on Yahoo Japan

ANTHONY
22-06-2008, 11:01 PM
camskill stock the vr4 original

pitslayer
26-06-2008, 01:25 AM
theres one on the blue galant, dont know who made it, will have a look

Wodjno
26-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Does anyone know of any manufacturers who make strut braces for the legnum/galant ?

If you want an OE Strut Brace ? I've got 1 /yes or 2 :D

N9nebar
26-06-2008, 04:14 PM
1 or 2 ? which is it? ya see the problem is..... i'm getting married in October and i'm not allowed to buy anything any chance of you putting 1 or 2 of them in your shed and we'll talk business in November?
(i just translated your sig , i thought it would be something profound and meaningful............!!! you'll have to change it now to......"διακόσια πενήντα ένα και μια μισή δύναμη αλόγων και είναι κύρια μιας πετρελαιοπηγής μέσω Rex") i love babelfish!!!

HMG1K
22-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Folks, recently bought one of these OE front strut brace bars from WODJNO and haven't had a chace to fit it yet - how easy / hard is it to do? I've a flat, level driveway if that helps!

Thanks in advance.

Kieran
22-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Stupidly easy Philip. Just park up on flat level, open your bonnet and undo the three nuts around each strut top. Fit the red metal plates and then refit the nuts. Then put the actual bar across and secure it to the red plates - this bit usually requires a bit of 'jiggling' to get everything lined up.

Once everything's fitted, tighten everything back up to spec and that's it. It's a 15 minute job at the most. :)

chris g
22-09-2008, 07:22 PM
For best effect the strut brace, front and rear if available, should be triangulated

Wodjno
22-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Stupidly easy Philip. Just park up on flat level, open your bonnet and undo the three nuts around each strut top. Fit the red metal plates and then refit the nuts. Then put the actual bar across and secure it to the red plates

This would not be advisable :inquisiti

And certainly would not add to the stability of the car /pan

HMG1K
22-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Stupidly easy Philip. Just park up on flat level, open your bonnet and undo the three nuts around each strut top. Fit the red metal plates and then refit the nuts. Then put the actual bar across and secure it to the red plates - this bit usually requires a bit of 'jiggling' to get everything lined up.

Once everything's fitted, tighten everything back up to spec and that's it. It's a 15 minute job at the most. :)

Wow! THAT simple! That's what I like!

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! :pimp2:

Thanks so much, Kieran! Will give it a go this week during the day! :afro:

peter thomson
22-09-2008, 07:37 PM
There is also the top suspension arm bush nut to undo. 4 nuts on either side.

Kieran
22-09-2008, 07:59 PM
This would not be advisable :inquisiti

And certainly would not add to the stability of the car /pan

How would you undertake fitting then?:inquisiti

Kieran
22-09-2008, 07:59 PM
There is also the top suspension arm bush nut to undo. 4 nuts on either side.

Oh yeah - forgot that little sod.../pan

Wodjno
22-09-2008, 08:20 PM
How would you undertake fitting then?:inquisiti

YUP !! For starters i would undo 4 Nuts either side :D /pan

On a serious note though.. I would fit the red plates to the bar 1st, but leave the nuts lose.. Then fit it over the "4" threaded bolts.. Then tighten them down fully.. Then tighten the 2 bolts on the bar..
Also i would ensure that the car is on totally flat and level ground 1st.. This will make the allignment easier and more accurate /yes

HMG1K
22-09-2008, 08:43 PM
/pan
YUP !! For starters i would undo 4 Nuts either side :D /pan

On a serious note though.. I would fit the red plates to the bar 1st, but leave the nuts lose.. Then fit it over the "4" threaded bolts.. Then tighten them down fully.. Then tighten the 2 bolts on the bar..
Also i would ensure that the car is on totally flat and level ground 1st.. This will make the allignment easier and more accurate /yes

Thanks Glenn, and Peter and Kieran!

My main worry was I'd undo the bolts and the whole front suspension would collapse! /pan - sounds stupid I know, but wanted to belt and brace from you folk first! :scholar:

Wodjno
22-09-2008, 09:08 PM
/pan

Thanks Glenn, and Peter and Kieran!

My main worry was I'd undo the bolts and the whole front suspension would collapse! /pan - sounds stupid I know, but wanted to belt and brace from you folk first! :scholar:

Only if you had jacked the car up 1st /pan

ANTHONY
22-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Only if you had jacked the car up 1st /panor parked on custard/pan /pan

I-S
29-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Philip - Be sure to have checked the insurance situation, as many insurers will charge significantly for the addition of a strut brace.

I have discovered that this is because they tend to significantly increase cost of repair - If you get a knock on one side of the car, the strut brace can cause the other side of the car to be distorted also.

If you've parked on custard then I suspect that fitting a strut brace would be the least of your worries...

HMG1K
29-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Philip - Be sure to have checked the insurance situation, as many insurers will charge significantly for the addition of a strut brace.

I have discovered that this is because they tend to significantly increase cost of repair - If you get a knock on one side of the car, the strut brace can cause the other side of the car to be distorted also.

If you've parked on custard then I suspect that fitting a strut brace would be the least of your worries...

Nice one - thanks Issac. :scholar: Will do that now. :afro:

Just got back from dropping the car off to get some warranty work done on it, and gave up trying to do the work myself with the strut brace, so getting them to fit it. /pan

ANTHONY
29-09-2008, 09:49 PM
so getting them to fit it. /pan so you could say it was a Mitsubishi fitted item/pan