PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Madness

Gowf
24-06-2008, 11:53 AM
As some of you know ive removed the aircon in my car. As such im having huge problems keeping the new ps belt on with the bracket and tensioner arangement that i was forced to make.

New plan is to try and get an MR2 pump on there. Does anyone have any knowledge of these things, as ive never seen one, with regards to how the inlet and outlet of the pump are conected, how the wiring should be done? I know that the MR2 does control the severity of ps operation with the ecu, but would i be able to get away with just running it 'on' all the time?

Just some thoughts im mulling over at the moment, would be grateful for your input.

Cheers

Gareth

miller
24-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Can you not get a belt made to the specific length?

I know some guys on GTOUK got differing belt lengths when they removed the aircon package

Mike

Gowf
24-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Can you not get a belt made to the specific length?

I know some guys on GTOUK got differing belt lengths when they removed the aircon package

Mike

I do have a new belt thats as short as it possibly can be to go round the crank pulley and the pump. But, you still need to tension it. The standard tensioner is of no use as it doesnt go high enough, so you need to make something to extend the travel of the tensioner. its this that's causing the problem, because if it isnt bang on square with the other 2 pulleys it just throws belts...Hence where i am now

orionn2o
24-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Well its not a bad system to use. People do have them wired in a variety of ways, some of which allow the unit to turn itself on and off or only come on when steering movement is detected at certain speeds etc. Others have just used on /off switches in their cars AND the really clever ones put encoders on and design systems to run it at a variety of speeds.

There is info on the web if you can be bothered to look:

http://www.cameronsoftware.com/ev/EV_PowerSteering_Install.html

http://www.evalbum.com/tech/mr2_powersteering.html

The nice thing about an electro pump that you can control is that is doesn't steal power from the engine when you don't need it on!

Davezj
24-06-2008, 01:01 PM
why not just leave the ac pump in place and use it as a pulley.

you can't be that short of space can you.

Caveman
24-06-2008, 02:07 PM
What he said! I'd use it as a pulley.

Mart.

orionn2o
24-06-2008, 02:08 PM

Remember its not a standard turbo setup.

Gowf
24-06-2008, 03:09 PM

Because there's a turbo and manifold in the way

psbarham
24-06-2008, 04:41 PM
saxo's use electric ones as well, and they do look quite a simple setup, might be worth a look :scholar:

stuartturbo
24-06-2008, 08:34 PM
electric Hydralic pumps you can run with no means of control
Mini
A class
saxo/106
the cheapest/best bet is probally the A class or Mini
a class has 3 wire Power's and ignition
mini has a few more but again only need above

stuartturbo
24-06-2008, 08:34 PM
will doulbe check tomorrow at work

Davezj
24-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Because there's a turbo and manifold in the way

Fare enough just a thought, i kind of knew it wouldn't be that simple.

couldn't you make some kind of bracket and relocate the tensioner.

Eurospec
24-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Got an MR2 here with a gone bottom end. Customer is gonna break it. Come an have a look!

Cheers,

Ben.

Kenneth
24-06-2008, 11:35 PM
been looking into this for a while but finding the pumps a little hard to come by for a decent price.

My main concern is how well it will work on a much heavier car. From my research they work well on race cars and hondas, however in both cases you are probably talking about a vehicle that is lighter than a VR-4.

Still, worth a go to find out!

g6acb
24-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Did you change the PAS pulley to a 'toothed' one ? not sure without checking the differences from my old GLS to the VR4 but my old cars aircon units' clutch seized, resulting in a rather cool red arrows smoke thing down the M62 as the PAS belt shredded itself....

Rather than f about getting a new aircon pump / clutch I reverted the car to non air con spec (the GLS was sold with and without aircon) and a shorter belt was tensioned with the existing tensioner around a replacement ridged or toothed pas pulley rather than the original smooth one which coped with the offset in the belt path just fine

as I said wether thats relevant to the VR4 or not????

stuartturbo
25-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Best is the saxo
mr2 can not run off power and ignition
mini merc and saxo can
saxo is jump pump and motor not real control circuit that fails as in the mini and a class