PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Emmisions on a Legnum VR4

96vr-4
25-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Anybody know the CO2 Emmisions on a Legnum VR4, live in Ireland and from the 1st of July cars will be taxed on there emmisions instead of there engine size. Was thinking of importing one myself but i think with the new system my poxy government will make it financially unfeasible. On a seperate note, does anyone know much about a Galant vrg. A friend of mine was saying he was looking to import one saying they are rockets, very similar to a vr4 but i think he is pulling my leg cause there only 1.8 litre.

elnevio
25-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Think the VR-G is indeed a 1.8 GDI. Maybe it's a rocket compared to whatever POS he's used to driving! :P Bradc is no doubt the one to confirm that though.

AFAIK, there is no CO2 figure for VR-4s. They definitely didn't obtain type approval in the UK, but I don't know if this applies EU-wide. Even so, I would have thought that there is still no CO2 figure available.

At a guess though, I'd have though an auto VR-4 would be in the region of 280g/km.

96vr-4
25-06-2008, 10:22 PM
A clapped out mirage, so it prob is a bit quicker. F me, as it is my tax is 821euro per year (not to bad) but based on emissions 280g/km would jump my tax up to 2000euro per year. Time to relocate to Yemen i think!!!

elnevio
25-06-2008, 10:24 PM
Thing is, and I think another member should be able to confirm, there just is no official figure for the VR-4, so they'd have to base it on something else, like cc.

96vr-4
25-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Im sure my local tax office would rather see me 2 grand lighter. Im sending my work horse in for its NCT (MOT for you) in 2 weeks and il find out if they have come across any Legnums, emissions are tested in the NCT here.

bradc
25-06-2008, 10:44 PM
The VR-G is a slow sack of poo.

As for the CO2 emissions, a V6 is around 225-230 from memory, so I'd say a VR-4 would be 260-300 based purely on the extra amount of petrol a VR-4 would use, as long as it doesn't burn the fuel any dirtier or worse than a V6

elnevio
25-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I think the official figure for a 2002 V6 is 225.

Thanks brad for placing your range such that my guess lands slap-bang in the middle! :thumbsup:

N9nebar
26-06-2008, 04:39 PM
I live in Ireland too,I drive a 1.8gdi and it ain't a sack of poo!!!!!
Back to point of emissions, the Nct doesn't do Co2g/km so ya can't use that as a reference i was looking into this myself recently because i only got my car in Feb(its a 99) i can avail of either tax system but i'd have to provided documented evidence of the emissions levels so i'll haave to make a call to Mitsi Ireland and see if they can help, and if the levels are low enough i might get cheaper tax, if it comes in under 170g i'll be saving money, but with a vr4 your screwed ......... whose got the sack of "expensive " poo now ........ i know you didn't say it my fellow compatriot, but the sheep admirer from the sothern hemisphere offended me car!!!!!

elnevio
26-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I think you'll find he's a goat admirer...

;)

Rambaud
26-06-2008, 06:31 PM
IIRC, my 2.4 GDI is 208g/km.

Nick Mann
26-06-2008, 08:17 PM
In England (and I assume other parts of the UK) the emissions tax law only applies to cars made after a certain date. The cars that can't be put into the emissions category still use the engine size category. Would it not work like that in Ireland?

elnevio
26-06-2008, 08:34 PM
In England (and I assume other parts of the UK) the emissions tax law only applies to cars made after a certain date. The cars that can't be put into the emissions category still use the engine size category. Would it not work like that in Ireland?
Thanks Nick for putting what I was trying to say, into something understandable!!

bradc
26-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I had a GDI, and yes they are indeed slow :)

AderC
26-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I worked out the theoretical CO2 emissions, based on fuel consumption of 20mpg, in this thread:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28263

Worked it out at about 306 g/km

aDe

CJay
26-06-2008, 09:14 PM

Bang on Nick.

Vehicles registered outside of Ireland before the 1st of July 2008 will still be taxed based on engine size. Vehicles registered after the 1st of July will default to the new emmisions based tax system. Note that there will be in an increase of approx €100 on yearly tax for a VR-4 after the 1st of July so we'll end up paying c. €1000 per year going forward.

The top level of tax for new cars (i.e. post 1st of July) is €2k - if Mitsi where still banging out VR-4s and you decided to import a new one from Japan, you can bet your bottom € that you'd be paying €2k per per year in tax.

There is one other change - the top rate of VRT (vehicle registration tax) payable on import (they get you every which way :thinking: ) is up from 30% to 36% on pre July '08 cars - factor this cost into your calculations if you're considering the import option.

CJ

N9nebar
26-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I think you'll find he's a goat admirer...

;)
thanks for pointing that out , i do recall reading somewhere about goats...

For all cars registered in Ireland Before jan 1st 2008 it goes on engine size,for all cars registered after 30th june 2008 its emissions but for any cars registered in the 6 months inbetween you have a choice , which ever works out cheaper......example: my crappy 1.8gdi on the engine size system is €560 on the emissions system if my car was less than170g/km it would be €430 more than 171g/km it would be €600 but because of the age of my car i would have to get proof beyond reasonable doubt of my emission readings and then it'll be at the revenues discretion.
A VR-4 on the engine system is €899 ,on the emissions above 225g/km its €2000. So no more new Vr-4s coming to Ireland but i'd say the parts business will improve.............

N9nebar
26-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Damn you CJ typing faster than me.............. And Brad yes a 1.8gdi is slow compared to a vr4 but not to the majority of the cars on the road......

96vr-4
26-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Bang on Nick.

Vehicles registered outside of Ireland before the 1st of July 2008 will still be taxed based on engine size. Vehicles registered after the 1st of July will default to the new emmisions based tax system. Note that there will be in an increase of approx €100 on yearly tax for a VR-4 after the 1st of July so we'll end up paying c. €1000 per year going forward.

The top level of tax for new cars (i.e. post 1st of July) is €2k - if Mitsi where still banging out VR-4s and you decided to import a new one from Japan, you can bet your bottom € that you'd be paying €2k per per year in tax.

There is one other change - the top rate of VRT (vehicle registration tax) payable on import (they get you every which way :thinking: ) is up from 30% to 36% on pre July '08 cars - factor this cost into your calculations if you're considering the import option.

CJ

Yup thought about all of this. If i was to import say a 1998 legnum now i will still get stung with this new emissions road tax. It doesnt matter if the car is brand spanking new or an 1885 Benz Motorwagon, once it is registered over here after July 1st your stung hard in the azz with this new eco friendly tax.

Do Toyota do the Prius in a Twin Turbo................ could be an option!!

CJay
27-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Yup thought about all of this. If i was to import say a 1998 legnum now i will still get stung with this new emissions road tax.

96vr-4, in case theres any confusion, the €2k car tax per year does not apply here - you will pay tax on the old system (with a few quid thrown in as per increases across the board).

CJ

96vr-4
28-06-2008, 06:34 PM
96vr-4, in case theres any confusion, the €2k car tax per year does not apply here - you will pay tax on the old system (with a few quid thrown in as per increases across the board).

CJ

So if i import one now and it arrives in 4 months time il be paying 821euro for tax a year and roughly 900euro V.R.T. I might consider importing a new one then!!