PDA

View Full Version : heater controls

darlog1
06-03-2004, 02:47 PM
can anyone tell me is it possible to convert the dial type heater contols to the digital sort and if so how hard is it to do?

also how hard is it to do that boot conversion that ian has done

i have a 2001 galant equippe

Kieran
06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
I too have looked into this, as part of the project to get MMCS power alongside my GLS Power :D

The conversion could be a bit of a sod... I believe the wiring loom is in place (though I've not yet had the centre console out to confirm this), but there are several new parts you'll need...

On the exterior, there's an air temp sensor, and a UV sensor too, I think. These aren't present on the Manual Aircon systems.

Inside the car, there's another sort of photo sensor, that lurks inbetween the demister vents at the front of the dashboard. My GLS just has a blank there, and I imagine yours will too.

The big troublespot is with the heater matrix unit. Surprisingly, given what the rest of the car is like, the dial controls operate a mechanical linkage which opens or closes the air control flaps on the heater unit. The Climate control system does away with this and instead has a couple of electric motors to control the flaps. These motors recieve a control signal from the climate control ECU telling them how far to open. I'm not sure if it's possible to retrofit these units to manual aircon car.

When I've got more time, I might post up the wiring and assemble schematics I've got from my dealer in the member's area for reference :)

Big Ian
06-03-2004, 09:07 PM
:wavey: the flip boot mod is very easy to do and is very cheap to do ..
i'll take pic's and do a post on it this week.

darlog1
20-03-2004, 01:01 AM
thanks guys, its great knowing i can get such good advice on all sorts of things, i have been a member of others sites that do not offer such friendly advice and tips or seem to have the knowledge you guys are willing to share

once again thanks