PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Number prefix

Grinder
07-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi my Legnum (on the boat from Japan) has a chassis prefix EC1W, what does this tell me? Usually the prefix gives the model type etc. Does anyone know the Legnum prefixes?

Edit: I know its a 1.8 GDI - is this the 4G93 ? What about the transmission, its the auto with tiptronic, does this means its the INVECS or INVECS-II or is there another type?

Edited again! : I can just make out on the picture of the interior, that the shift-light shows 3, 4, then D. Is it the 5-speed auto?

Kieran
07-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Hi my Legnum (on the boat from Japan) has a chassis prefix EC1W, what does this tell me? Usually the prefix gives the model type etc. Does anyone know the Legnum prefixes?

Edit: I know its a 1.8 GDI - is this the 4G93 ? What about the transmission, its the auto with tiptronic, does this means its the INVECS or INVECS-II or is there another type?

Edited again! : I can just make out on the picture of the interior, that the shift-light shows 3, 4, then D. Is it the 5-speed auto?

Many Many questions!

/Shameless plug: Have you thought of becoming a member?? /end of shameless plug :-D

Right....

1. The code EC1W tells you the type of Galant and which market it was targeted at, whether it's a saloon(Galant) or an estate (Legnum) and what engine was fitted. To decode yours:

EC - Mitsubishi Galant, JDM Market
1 - Equipped with 4G93 1.8GDI engine
W - Estate (Legnum)

To give you a comparison, my model code is EA2A:

EA - Mitsubishi Galant, European/UK market
2 - Equipped with 4G63 2.0 SOHC MPi engine
A - Saloon

2. The 1.8GDI is indeed the 4G93 engine. The 4G93 was (and still is, in the Shogun) sold in the UK. In the UK Galants, the capacity was raised to 2.4L

3. No - if it's 4, followed by a 'D', then it's a 4 speed box. The 'D' light is there to show you when you're in full auto mode ('D' on), or tiptronic ('D' Off). Only the VR-4 was sold with a 5 speed.

4. All 8G Galants had an INVECS-II Box. The Tiptronic part is simply called the 'Sports Mode'. I think all JDM Galants from 1996 onwards had the INVECS-II + Sport, whereas the UK versions only got the 'Sport Mode' after the October 1999 facelift.

I think that answers your questions ;)

Grinder
07-03-2004, 11:42 AM
£15 seems like good value, even for the information I've already got! Can the club take PayPal?

So mine is an 8G galant? I read somewhere the 4G93 1.8GDI engine is 140bhp - which is fine for our purposes.

Can't seem to find the model history anywhere...

Spirit
08-03-2004, 01:33 AM
Sorry we do not currently take paypal - please forward a cheque or postal order (cash registered post only).

Regards

Pete