PDA

View Full Version : Body roll on cornering - options?

CJay
26-06-2008, 09:47 PM
My last 4 cars pre VR-4 where all light Jap coupes with sorted suspension (FTO's, RX-7s et al.) i.e. I'm used to direct and controlled cornering. My '01 Type-S is fitted with Tein Super Wagons and is lowered as much as much as it will go without ripping the sump off over ramps (as it stands, I have to crawl over ramps or sections of road with serious camber changes , the front standard bumper scrubs very easily). Damping force is set at 10 out of 24 (or is ot 26?) but I still find that the Galant exhibits way too much body roll on cornering.

The Galant is a heavy car so I appreciate that you will experience some roll, my question is - what can be done to reduce it? Pics of suspension clearence below for illustrative purposes:

CJ

peter thomson
26-06-2008, 09:56 PM
The cusco antiroll bars are supposed to reduce the rolling in corners. A few club members have them and I don't think anybody has complained about them

CJay
26-06-2008, 10:15 PM
The cusco antiroll bars are supposed to reduce the rolling in corners.

Sounds promising, I'd be interested to hear reports from club members on the results...

CJ

Wodjno
26-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I never had any uprated Anti Roll Bars fitted to my car..

I just had Tanabe Sustec Pro Coilovers..

I had little or No body roll.. It just turned and pointed where evr u pointed it /yes

Kieran
26-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Sounds promising, I'd be interested to hear reports from club members on the results...

CJ

My suspension, although lowered, uses spring rates that are almost identical to standard. I have the cusco bars front and rear and yes, there is still some tip, but much less than the standard items. It's a nice way of reducing roll without making the ride crashy.

Only comment I would make is that the stiffer the springs you have, the less benefit you'll feel from upgraded ARBs - I deliberately went with soft springs to preserve ride comfort.

mpau009
26-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I have the cusco bars from the NZ group buy, and coil overs set as low as NZ law lets you.

I think the suspension is still the biggest step in getting rid of the the body roll, if you have a setup with softer spring rates, no amount of other changes will compensate for that.. and you'll probably tire out your shocks if you have them cranked up hard all the time?

The only real change i have noticed, is when going over speedbumps diagonally, the front would often scrape, but since changing the antiroll bars, i can get accross the same bumps easier, so i guess it must be resisting the weight of the car better?

I had Tein Wagon Coilovers, the base model without the damper adjustability, and found them to be really sloppy, whether that was because they were old or F****d i dont know, but i now have ones that look to be old style HKS ones (no stickers anywhere, got them second hand as well), with pillowball tops and heavy looking springs, and they have cured all my issues.

It might be worth looking at you tyre pressures as well, i have played around with them every now and again, and it can change the feel of the rear a lot, especially in the Legnum..

amsoil
27-06-2008, 12:12 AM
If you want to reduce roll then go for the uprated roll bar. Uprating the springs is a round about way of reducing roll but will also make the car harsher and usually reduces cornering grip, contrary to what most people think. Lowering the car can often distroy its good handling characteristics which is usually accompanied by tougher springs and dampers to mask the bad handleing by reducing and suspension movement. You would be better off with low profile tyres than altering the suspension geometry (lowering the suspension).
Just my 2p's worth from 20 years of racing production saloons.

Roberto
27-06-2008, 01:54 AM
Just my 2p's worth from 20 years of racing production saloons.

That sums thing up nicely Don./YMaster

White Lightning
27-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Super Wagon coilovers fitted here too ... I would say my ride height is similar to yours if not slightly higher. The dampening is currently set reasonably stiff at about "click 6" from the hardest setting. I have no issues with excessive body roll and I have standard ARBs fitted. That said, I did replace all of the ARB bushes last year and fitted a new (standard) ARB on the rear.

When were your ARB bushes last replaced? ... that may be a factor here :inquisiti ...

CJay
27-06-2008, 08:32 PM
When were your ARB bushes last replaced? ... that may be a factor here :inquisiti ...

I replaced the rears about 2 months ago but they were hardly worn, the fronts are perfect.

Thanks for all of the comments guys, I'll wind the damping force down slightly and consider investing in a set of ARBs.

CJ

amsoil
28-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Just an extra bit for adjustable shockers; assuming you have just the one means of adjustment, that is. For road use wind them up a clik at a time until they just become a little harsh then go back one click. For the track just the same then wind up one click.