PDA

View Full Version : Psi/bar Boost versus HP

KiwiTT
07-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Has anyone got a guide as to how much boost equals how much HP.

e.g

0.7 bar = 260/280 hp
0.8 bar = 300 hp
0.9 bar = 320 hp
etc.

And how much boost can you increase, without any undue effect on existing components, i.e. increase boost only, and no other engine mods.

e.g.

0.8 bar - no engine mods
0.9 bar - minor engine mods, e.g fuel controls
1.0 bar or higher, major engine mods, cylinders head, more computers, etc.

I read when you increase to 18 psi you can really effect your pistons, i.e. melt them. ouch !

Therefore, I want to know what to plan for in the future. I am eventually looking at 400 hp, but I know this would require extensive mods.

SGHOM
07-03-2004, 10:55 PM
great question mate, & i'd like to know an answer to that !!
All I know is that my car has an estimated BHP of around 350. [ from the stock 260 ]. I think Dave has a comfirmed 350, due to the electronic wizardry fitted to his car !!
& neither of us, [ or other's running high bhp ] have done any internal mods. I'm still looking for more performance from my engine via nitrous injection, higher boost etc. without the huge expense of an internal upgrade.
I might be wrong, but I think 400 bhp should be feasible without engine strengthening. after 400 !!! who knows ???
I'm just a little concerned that with the bit of competition going on over here with getting the 1/4 mile times down, one of us is going to reach meltdown sooner or later !!! :$

KiwiTT
07-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Lets do a survey of members who have modified their cars, so we can get a picture of what it takes.

Spirit
08-03-2004, 01:45 AM
I agree with Derek's comments - I am running at 1.05bar tops and not had any issues at all so far (e.g. fuel cut) and have not touched any internals.

Derek - where did the 350bhp figure come from ? Last time I had a long chat with Dave (when setting up my boost) he had reached 300bhp once or twice with his Apexi RSM and as a test I now use exactly the same settings and have hit 311bhp but since dropped this back to around 300. Where is the extra from , or are you talking flywheel figures ?

SGHOM
08-03-2004, 08:49 AM
I was meaning engine output, not at the wheels. I know Dave said at the pod, he's recorded 300 bhp at the wheels !!
As for my 'unrecorded' bhp, that is just a guestimate based on the performance of my car againt others. Both mine & Daves times were very similar. [ within 16 thou !! ] :D